Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old January 17th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Carnival Cruise Passengers Missing -- Coast Guard Calls off Search

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Carnival Cruise Passengers Missing -- Coast Guard Calls off Search

Read the entire news article...

Old January 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

When they say no one saw the couple
from Tuesday till Sat, does that mean that their room steward didn't see them either?

On all the cruises I've been on, my steward always saw us several times a day and if he didn't see us at least once, he'd knock on our cabin door to see if we were OK. If the Do not disturb sign was on, we at least got one curtesy call or when we left for dinner, he just "happened" to be near our door to say hello. It should not have taken three days to notice that the couple wasn't there.

If the Do Not Disturb sign was on the entire time, the steward should have called to try to at least replace the towels and sheets. With no answer, he should have reported it to the head housekeeper who should have used a pass key or asked security to check on them.

If the sign was not on the door, the steward should have noticed that no towels, glasses, etc were used and that the bed had not been slept in and again reported it.

I've been on ships where the dining room waiter noticed that we'd missed a meal and called our room to see if we were OK.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

It does seem odd that nobody encountered this couple for a few days.

The report does say that the door was double-locked, from the inside, so perhaps it was dead-bolted, and a passkey wouldn't have worked.

That being said, with passengers of such advanced age, you'd think someone would do whatever it took, including breaking down the door, or trying to enter from the balcony, to ensure they were alive and well.

Old January 31st, 2009, 03:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevoli View Post
It does seem odd that nobody encountered this couple for a few days.

The report does say that the door was double-locked, from the inside, so perhaps it was dead-bolted, and a passkey wouldn't have worked.

That being said, with passengers of such advanced age, you'd think someone would do whatever it took, including breaking down the door, or trying to enter from the balcony, to ensure they were alive and well.
This looks to me like maybe a suicide or murder suicide sure seems like odd circumstances. Their cabin door was double locked from inside which correct me if wrong would be impossible to do from outside the cabin.
Jeramie