Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old January 21st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Disney Cruise Line Won't Sail Alaska in 2010

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Disney Cruise Line Won't Sail Alaska in 2010

Read the entire news article...

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

If they're all based out of florida, I can see why. It's a big logistical leap for them and especially with the economy, they may not want to make such a big investment. I mean, after the Alaska season, they don't have a great place to send those ships.

Old January 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57 View Post
If they're all based out of florida, I can see why. It's a big logistical leap for them and especially with the economy, they may not want to make such a big investment. I mean, after the Alaska season, they don't have a great place to send those ships.
Well right now that's probably true. But since this was a 10 year permit and Disney is building two new ships one would think that the Magic (or wonder) would be moving to California permanently to do Mexican-Rivera itineraries with the possibility of moving up to Alaska during the summer.

I am not sure what you mean "they don't have a great place to send those ships." There are alot of visitors to Disneyland every year and bringing them out to CA for a cruise would mean more Disneyland tourism.
Orlando:Port Canaveral::Anaheim:Los Angeles
(with more traffic of course)
Greek Isles - Costa Victoria Jul/Aug - 2004
Fiji - Blue Lagoon Mystique Princess - Aug 2005
Greek Isles - Celebrity Galaxy - Aug 2007
Western Caribbean - Disney Magic - Jan 2008
N/B Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Aug 2008
Western Caribbean - Carnival Legend - NYE 2012
Eastern Caribbean - Royal Princess - NYE 2013

Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wink The Sun Viking

Disney's commitment to "family cruising" would position them to sail in any market - world-wide. I would love to have at least one of their ships to sail in US Waters and Canada on various iteneries for the summer months. I have sailed both current ships several times and find them a perfect family vacation.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Senior Editor

I, too, figured they were exploring options for 2011 and 2012 when they'll have two new ships.

Corndog819 raises an interesting point. All of Disney's cruises so far have been near a Disney theme park (if you count its European park in France as "near" the Mediterranean and Baltic). Would the line want to cruise out of Alaska if it couldn't combine the sailing with a Disneyland visit? I don't know.

Or maybe it's time for Disneyland Canada in Vancouver!

Associate Editor Erica

Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Disney Cruise Line Won't Sail to Alaska in 2010

Does that mean that Disney Cruise Line can resubmit its application to sail Glacier Bay in Alaska at a later date?

Disney and Alaska seem to be made for each other. With two new ships in 2012, there is talk of homeporting one of the current or one of the news ships in southern California, as a tie-in to Disneyland. And with that, DCL would be able to cruise the Mexican Riveria in the winter and Alaska in the summer.

And I know that the demand has been high for Disney to do an Alaskan cruise from people who have previously cruised with DCL.

And I don't know about the future, but Adventures by Disney, beginning this year, offers a family adventure tour to Alaska. And you would think DCL could do a tie-in with that.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTexasKid View Post
Does that mean that Disney Cruise Line can resubmit its application to sail Glacier Bay in Alaska at a later date?
I believe Disney can reapply in 2011, these were the official permits for 2009/2010.

So great timing for them if they decide to go that route.
Greek Isles - Costa Victoria Jul/Aug - 2004
Fiji - Blue Lagoon Mystique Princess - Aug 2005
Greek Isles - Celebrity Galaxy - Aug 2007
Western Caribbean - Disney Magic - Jan 2008
N/B Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Aug 2008
Western Caribbean - Carnival Legend - NYE 2012
Eastern Caribbean - Royal Princess - NYE 2013

Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Disney Cruise Line Won't Sail Alaska in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog819 View Post
I believe Disney can reapply in 2011, these were the official permits for 2009/2010.

So great timing for them if they decide to go that route.
Thank-you for your reply, Corndog. So the permit is good for one year, and it has to be submitted every year.

Actually, it makes more sense that Disney wait to 2011 and/or 2012, when they have one and/or both new cruise ships ready to sail.

The problem with 2010 seems to be, with one ship in the Baltic and the Mediterranean for much of the year, and the other ship doing the Caribbean, there doesn't seem to be a ship available to do Alaska in 2010.

Thank-you again, Corndog.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog819 View Post
Well right now that's probably true. But since this was a 10 year permit and Disney is building two new ships one would think that the Magic (or wonder) would be moving to California permanently to do Mexican-Rivera itineraries with the possibility of moving up to Alaska during the summer.

I am not sure what you mean "they don't have a great place to send those ships." There are alot of visitors to Disneyland every year and bringing them out to CA for a cruise would mean more Disneyland tourism.
Orlando:Port Canaveral::Anaheim:Los Angeles
(with more traffic of course)
Well, they haven't started yet. And I'm just not sure they will. Not unless cruising suddenly becomes SUPER popular.

I don't have statistics or anything, but I never got the sense that the Mexican Riviera cruises were anywhere close to the Carib/Bahamas in popularity. Plus, WDW Resorts has 4 theme parks for people to go to. Spending 3 or 4 days there is easily imaginable for people. Disneyland only has 2 theme parks. I'd actually consider it 1.5. Which means the rest of the time would have to be spent in Mexico. Just don't think it'd be popular enough.

So, if the Mexico cruises don't work well enough, where would the Alaska cruises reposition to?

Old January 27th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Senior Editor

Default Glacier Bay permits

The permits are 10-year permits (valid from 2010 through 2019). This is a new process for the national park, and I believe -- but haven't verified -- that the cruise lines can reapply in 10 years for (2020-2029 permits).

Erica
Cruise Critic Associate Editor