Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old January 27th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Norwegian Jewel on 3/1

Hello,

Over the weekend, I won a 5-night Western cruise on the Norwegian Jewel and found out I will be sailing on March 1st! I have cruised before, but on RCCL on an Eastern route.

I know we stop in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I know Grand Cayman will be a tender, but don't know about Cozumel right now. I'll be calling NCL soon and will find out. I am a power wheelchair user and because of my custom seating needs, I need to stay in it as much as possible. I know you cannot tender a power wheelchair and do have a manual chair I can use, it's just not very comfy. Can I stay in my manual chair on the tender?

What can you tell me about the ship? I have accessible room 10653 and was told it is very nice for an inside.

What can you tell me about Grand Cayman and Cozumel? What do you recommend doing? If I can take my power chair out in Cozumel, what accessible things are there? I know both islands have dolphin programs and I'd love to do one.

Is there shopping at the piers in Grand Cayman and Cozumel?

Thanks!

Old January 27th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cozumel has shopping and a duty free buliding right near the dock. We have done the dolphin encounter with our daughter who is in a wheelchair and can't walk. We arranged ahead of time to have someone help us with her. We wheeled her to the end of the pier and they carried her down a steep set of stairs to the water. So depending on your mobility, that may pose a problem. One very strong guy held her in the water to have her interact with the dolphins and also to let my wife and myself do everything with the dolphins. When you are standing on the platform watching the dolphins, it is a little shakey. You can't reach back to balance yourself on the wire mesh because it's covered with coral. You may want to call Dolphin Discovery and get some information before you book it.

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs

Old January 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie99 View Post
Hello,

Over the weekend, I won a 5-night Western cruise on the Norwegian Jewel and found out I will be sailing on March 1st! I have cruised before, but on RCCL on an Eastern route.

I know we stop in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I know Grand Cayman will be a tender, but don't know about Cozumel right now. I'll be calling NCL soon and will find out. I am a power wheelchair user and because of my custom seating needs, I need to stay in it as much as possible. I know you cannot tender a power wheelchair and do have a manual chair I can use, it's just not very comfy. Can I stay in my manual chair on the tender?

What can you tell me about the ship? I have accessible room 10653 and was told it is very nice for an inside.

What can you tell me about Grand Cayman and Cozumel? What do you recommend doing? If I can take my power chair out in Cozumel, what accessible things are there? I know both islands have dolphin programs and I'd love to do one.

Is there shopping at the piers in Grand Cayman and Cozumel?

Thanks!
The Jewel is a fairly new ship so I don't think you will have any problems with accessibility. I've never gone on the Jewel but have been on the Dawn and it seemed to be easily accessible.

Old January 28th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, the travel agency messed up on my booking and has moved me to a 7-night western cruise on the Pearl on April 5th. The itinerary is different, so I'll start a new thread for clarity sake.