Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old January 31st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Alaska in Trouble? Royal Caribbean, Cruise West Pull Ships

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Alaska in Trouble? Royal Caribbean, Cruise West Pull Ships

Read the entire news article...

Old January 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM
10,000+ Club

The comment about the Head Tax is interesting, but probably not the major reason why cruise lines are having difficulty selling Alaskan itineraries. There aren't many places for cruise ships to visit, so unlike the Caribbean, the standard itinerary gets a bit old.

The biggest reason they are seeing a drop is, of course, economic conditions and the cost of air travel. The air costs for north and southbound itineraries are prohibitive for a 7-day cruise. B2B really isn't an option compared to other cruises of 14 days since you're going to exactly the same places. If you've been to Alaska before, hitting each of the 3 or 4 standard ports twice during a B2B isn't very attractive.

Cruise lines could possibly do better in Alaska by promoting their cruise-tours and pricing them reasonably.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Love inside passage and want a redo

As we speak I am checking out an inside passage cruise-a repeat from my cruise in 2006! (The journey is more important than the destination -floating down the inside passage is more than words can describe). I AM NOT happy aboutg the per head charge AK expects just to visit a state in my own country!!!!! Greedy or what. Serves them right. I think Mt. Rushmore land cruise is a better option.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Alaska is going to be fine...

I sit here in Fairbanks and read the papers every day... "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"... So we have a decline in cruise ship passengers for one year. Big deal! The Lower 48 is experiencing some serious job cut backs. We have them here, too - but everyone I know that has recently experienced a lay-off has been employed again in a week. We are so lucky! Our economy is still strong here. When the price of oil was through the roof last summer and the oil companies were making record profits, there were still people complaining about the Alaskan economy. Historically, we've doing better than most. So the profit margin has gone down a little bit.... Ugh. We're still busy, busy, busy up here and if a cruise ship or two pulls out it's not going to kill us.

I think that the media hype is ridiculous.

Taters
Song of America, 1/1999, Mexican Riviera
Jubilee, 1/2000, Panama Canal/S. America
Inspiration, 1/2001, W Caribbean
Enchantment of the Seas, 11/2002 - Back to back! E/W Caribbean
Carnival Conquest, 9/2003, W Caribbean
Island Princess, 12/2004, Hawaii
Coral Princess, 9/2006, Alaska
Brilliance of the Seas, 12/2007, Transatlantic
Norwegian Spirit, 1/2008, Central America, "Chubby's Party Cruise"
Carnival Legend, 11/2008, C America/W Caribbean
Carnival Conquest, 2/2009, W Caribbean, "Chubby's Party Cruise II"
Carnival Triumph, 1/4/2010, Yukatan Peninsula
Carnival Triumph, 1/9/2010, Bahamas/Key West, "Chubby's Party Cruise III"
Carnival Triumph, 2/2011, C America/W Caribbean, On board w/Grammy winners Chubby & friends
Statendam, 12/2011, Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle, 11/2014, Mexican Riviera
Carnival Miracle, 12/2014, Hawaii

Last edited by Taters; February 3rd, 2009 at 10:43 PM.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

despite these charges..we re still sailing..

the wonders of alaska are just one of many place s we d like
to see befor leaving this world..

and to share pictures of alaska with our future grand children..it very well
could be all gone by time they re able to enjoy alaska s virgin
wilderness..

Old February 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Assistant Editor

All interesting observations, and I think that the head tax probably isn't enough to deter people from sailing in Alaska. Cruise fares have been discounted across the board. Cruise lines are paying close attention to their bottom line and making moves that are going to be lucrative, especially now.

In my humble opinion, it is the economy. People who are in rough spots just aren't spending on the non-necessities as much, in an effort to keep their heads -- and their finances -- above water. I know I've cut back and taken on a "I won't buy another thing I don't need," mentality.

But for people who do have a few extra bucks to spend, it really is a great time to visit Alaska because of some very affordable cruise fares. And so far, the other heavy-hitters in the region, Princess and Holland America, don't have plans to pull any ships.

I guess the only question now is: Is this the start of something bigger, a potentially severe decline for cruise travel in Alaska? Time will tell.

Kimmiekaz

Old February 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can't say you could not see this coming. The sponsors of the cruise ship head tax and the voters made their decision. Now it's the turn of the cruise lines to respond to this decision.

To think that the head tax decison will not affect the number of future cruise calls is naive.

The real impact of this will be seen if other cruise lines (owned by Carnival Corp) do the same. We'll know soon when they release their 2010 Alaska itineraries.

RCI and CCL have a history of cooperating when they see ports act against their business interests.

See this very interesting thread about cruise ships calling on St Croix for background on what can happen it you piss off the cruise industry:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=557348

I'm not saying that they will quit sailing to Alaska, but they will work together to try to remove the head tax. As a Carnival Corp stockholder, I hope that they can get this money grab by Alaska reversed.

Joe

Old February 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hasn't been officially announced yet, but I've been told the Radiance of the Seas will be replacing the Grandeur of the Seas in Tampa in the Fall of 2010.

Old February 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongerob View Post
The comment about the Head Tax is interesting, but probably not the major reason why cruise lines are having difficulty selling Alaskan itineraries. There aren't many places for cruise ships to visit, so unlike the Caribbean, the standard itinerary gets a bit old.

The biggest reason they are seeing a drop is, of course, economic conditions and the cost of air travel. The air costs for north and southbound itineraries are prohibitive for a 7-day cruise. B2B really isn't an option compared to other cruises of 14 days since you're going to exactly the same places. If you've been to Alaska before, hitting each of the 3 or 4 standard ports twice during a B2B isn't very attractive.

Cruise lines could possibly do better in Alaska by promoting their cruise-tours and pricing them reasonably.
Promoting the cruise tours might not help during these economic times; they are still very expensive, especially when you add the airfare.

I think the following would help:
  1. Cruise lines arrange cheap airfare to/from Vancouver
  2. Cruise lines offer 10-night Round-Trip cruises out of Vancouver that stop in Valdez and Seward, in addition to Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka, Skagway, and Ketchikan.
Such a cruise would be more economical than most of what is currently offered (except for the 7-day RT cruises).

Although the Inside Passage is quite beautiful, adding a couple of ports plus the Gulf of Alaska (at an economical price) will attract many new customers, IMHO.

Completed Cruises
16) RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - 14 nights T/A from Tampa to Harwich (4/30 - 5/14/14)
15) Celebrity Summit - 14 nights R/T Cape Liberty, NJ to Quebec (9/7 - 9/21/13)
14) RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 16 nights T/A from Rome to Galveston (11/2 - 11/18/12)
13) Celebrity Eclipse - 13 nights T/A from Southampton to Miami (10/30 - 11/12/11)
12) Celebrity Century - 4 nights R/T from Miami to Key West and Cozumel (March 24 - 3/28/11)
11) Celebrity Century - 5 nights R/T from Miami to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman (3/19 - 3/24/11)
10) Celebrity Equinox - 15 nights T/A from Rome to Ft Lauderdale (10/31 - 11/15/10)
9) Celebrity Solstice - 13 nights T/A from Rome to Ft Lauderdale (11/30 - 12/13/09)
8) Pacific Princess - 14 nights R/T Seattle to Alaska (6/11 - 25/09)
7) Celebrity Galaxy - 11 nights R/T San Juan, Puerto Rico to Southern Caribbean (4/7 – 4/18/08)
6) Celebrity Infinity - 13 nights (Repositioning) San Francisco to Alaska to Vancouver (5/7 - 5/20/07)
5) Island Princess - 15 nights R/T LA to Hawaii (2/20 - 3/7/06)
4) Carnival Ecstasy - 5 nights R/T from Galveston, TX to Western Caribbean (1/29 - 2/3/05)
3) Crown Princess - 10 nights R/T Boston to Quebec (10/9 – 10/19/01)
2) Norwegian Cruise Line - USS Norway - 7 nights R/T Miami to Virgin Islands (9/16 - 9/23/00)
1) Premier Cruise Line ("Big Red Boat") - Star Ship Atlantic - 3 nights R/T Ft Lauderdale to Bahamas (10/9 - 10/12/92)

Last edited by StarTrkGeek; February 9th, 2009 at 04:23 PM.