Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post RCI Reveals More on Adventure's Departure from San Juan

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

RCI Reveals More on Adventure's Departure from San Juan

Read the entire news article...

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

Well I for one am not surprised at all!

I think many folks are not too thrilled with the amount of time and money it takes to fly down to San Juan to catch the ship in Puerto Rico. Flying into Miami and Ft Lauderdale is far less time consuming and less expensive than flying into San Juan...plus for most folks there are is a larger selection of non-stops. Then let us not forget how convenient it is to take a cab to the ships from the Miami and Ft Lauderdale airports.

In addition, there have been many reports and stories for some time now that AOS sails full out of San Juan by loading up with many locals on late bookings who pay extremeley low prices just to fill up the ship.

So, does this news surprise me? NO...actually it would seem to be a smart business move by RCCL in a time when they need to minimize operating expenses and maximize revenues...I for one congratulate RCCL for making this move.

Mark

Old February 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

We had an absolute fantastic time on the Adventure of the Seas in Feb/March 2008 out of San Juan. Our 7-day cruise was represented by lots of Canadians, Americans from the mainland and residents of Puerto Rico. This was our 3rd cruise out of San Juan. The other two were on the Carnival Destiny.

We never encountered any problem with any particular group of people. As a matter of fact we loved the diversity of people. We do speak some Spanish and a few other languages. May be that might have made it easier.

I personally do not believe that because of the low prices given to residents of Puerto Rico the cruises out of San Juan are not profitable or bad. We all know that we have special resident rates in Florida, Texas, just to name a few to "fill.

Flying out of San Juan is indeed quite more expensive

Last edited by elsje; February 11th, 2009 at 02:10 PM.

Old February 11th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I think many folks are not too thrilled with the amount of time and money it takes to fly down to San Juan to catch the ship in Puerto Rico. Flying into Miami and Ft Lauderdale is far less time consuming and less expensive than flying into San Juan...plus for most folks there are is a larger selection of non-stops. Then let us not forget how convenient it is to take a cab to the ships from the Miami and Ft Lauderdale airports.

In addition, there have been many reports and stories for some time now that AOS sails full out of San Juan by loading up with many locals on late bookings who pay extremeley low prices just to fill up the ship.

So, does this news surprise me? NO...actually it would seem to be a smart business move by RCCL in a time when they need to minimize operating expenses and maximize revenues...I for one congratulate RCCL for making this move.

Mark
I am sorry to see them move out of San Juan. Not sure how much of a financial hit they take, but the convenience of a 7-day cruise to cruise farther south on a 7-day itinerary made it feasible for people who can only cruise 7-days at a time.

Puerto Rico was also a wonderful place to have a pre and post cruise. The history and its people are awesome.

I have read so many threads (that's actually what I commented on above) that people did not care for all the locals to be on board and that they were rude etc. We never found that. The AOS was a great ship to cruise on, not sure if I would cruise on the Serenade.

Old February 11th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Were looking at doing a southern cruise with RCCL in 2011, but it would be nice to have the Voyager class ships there. Yes the airline tickets are NOT cheap. I checked for something in 2010 and were looking for four tickets around $2000 . I don't know the Eastern looks more like it until we get closer to book the cruise.

Last edited by Cruise11; February 11th, 2009 at 05:41 PM.

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Air fares to San Juan are getting a lot more reasonable. And since the cruise fare tends to be a little lower out of San Juan, it tends to balance out.

I'm VERY sad to hear about this. I prefer the southern Caribbean islands and don't have the time to do a 9-12 day cruise out of Florida or Cape Liberty at this time.

I hope they replace Adventure with another Voyager class. Serenade does a nice itinerary, but she's such a small ship. I feel like they will need more capacity out of San Juan.
2006 - Carnival Inspiration
2006 - Carnival Valor (eastern Caribbean)
2007 - Carnival Destiny
2008 - Carnival Imagination
2008 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
2009 - Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas
2010 - Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas
2011 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
2014 - Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
5,000+ Club

I have cruised out of San Juan on 4 ships now over a 14 year span. Airfare is no more expensive now than it was then if you shop around for a sale. Even this past November, we paid less than $500 each for non-stop flights. As mentioned it is a great pre or post cruise location. I am so glad we did it. I recall that there used to be 7 seven ships at least sailing from San Juan on a weekend day. Now that has been greatly reduced.

We have only encountered one sailing shortly after 911 when rates were so cheap and offered to locals as well as others, that you couldn't afford not to cruise! Yes, there were young people who weren't expreienced cruisers, but they weren't a major problem, just a different culture. Our most recent Princess cruise was a full sailing and there was no notice of any one ethnic group on board.

I too hope RCI continues to birth a ship for the Southern Caribbean itineary in PR.

Nanatravel

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Celebrity Infinity 15 nights East bound Panama Canal - San Diego to Miami, Celebrity Constellation 5 nights 2/3/14, Celebrity Eclipse So. Caribbean 14 nights 3/9/2013, Crown Princess British Isles & France 5/19/2011, Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean 6/13/2010, Golden Princess Hawaii from LA 4/11/10, Carnival Freedom 6 night Western 2/21/2010, RCI Jewel of the Seas 10/27/2009 repo Boston to Miami, Caribbean Princess 11/2/08 Southern Caribbean, NCL Gem to No Where @ Boston 12/13/2007, NCL Majesty to Bermuda, 7/1 2007, Emerald Princess, 5/ 29/2007 Grand Meditteranean, RCI Freedom of the Seas 11/5/2006 Western Caribbean, Carnival Pride 10/30/05 Mexican Riviera, RCI Mariner of the Seas 11/7/04 Western Carib. ,Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04 Eastern Carib., Carnival Conquest 10/26/03 Western Carib from NOLA, Carnival Legend 4/11/2003 from Ft. Lauderdale, Carnival Pride 2/23/2002 from Port Canaveral, Celebrity Galaxy 11/01 Southern Carib. from SanJuan, Grand Princess 3/2001 - from FLL, Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000 - Europe Capt. Club, Sea Princess 2/22/1999 - Western Carib. from FLL, Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998- Panama Canal, Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998- Southern Carib., Celebrity Century 3/1997, Celebrity Zenith 11/1996, Legend of the Seas 6/1995- Alaska, Celebrity Horizon 4/1994- So. Carib. from San Juan

Old February 13th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Malaga sounds like a great base to do winter cruises to the Canary Islands and it's about time the big boys started to consider winter sun cruises for Europeans. The Caribbean offers lots of choice for N American cruisers to get some winter sunshine but Europe has very limited choice.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the observance of fools. (Douglas Bader 1910-1982)

Previous Cruises
March 92 - Carnival's Carnivale - Bahamas . October 97 - Thomson's Emerald, Med. Nov 2000 - Superstar Gemini, Straits of Malacca. Jan 2004 - Coral Princess - Panama-Carib. June 2005 - Island Princess - Alaska. Jan 2006 - P&O Arcadia - East/southern Carib. Feb 2007 - Celebrity Millenium - Eastern Carib. June 2007 - Tahitian Princess - Honolulu to Papeete. Feb 2008 - Sapphire Princess - Sydney to Auckland. Sept 2008 Emerald Princess - Mediterranean. March 2009 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal. Feb 2010 Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Caribbean . Aug 2011 P&O Azura- Canaries. June 2012 P&O Ventura Iceland & Fjords. Sept 2012 Celebrity Eclipse - Western Med; Apr 2013 P&O Azura Western Med. June 2013 Celebrity Eclipse - Baltic. Oct 2013 P&O Azura - Central Med. May 2014 Emerald Princess N. Spain & France.
Future cruises,
Sept. 2014 Celebrity Eclipse - Canaries & Azores.
Apr. - 2015 P&O Britannia - W. Med (Pre-reg)
June - 2015Celebrity Eclipse - Iceland & Fjords
Sept - 2015 Celebrity Eclipse - Canaries & Azores.
Jan - 2016 P&O Ventura - No Fly Caribbean. (pre-reg)

Followed by-

Old February 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrierjohn View Post
Malaga sounds like a great base to do winter cruises to the Canary Islands and it's about time the big boys started to consider winter sun cruises for Europeans. The Caribbean offers lots of choice for N American cruisers to get some winter sunshine but Europe has very limited choice.
I can see where you are coming from. It would be nice for Europeans to have ships sailing in the winter, but..we will still miss a ship the size of Adventure of The Seas sailing out of San Juan.

Old February 20th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Mark
Not sure where you're flying from, but from our home in the northeast, the flight to San Juan is not much more time consuming that a flight to Miami. And, at least in the past, cruises from San Juan tended to run about $100-$150 less than cruises from Miami, balancing out the cost difference.

A cab from the airport in San Juan is easy and inexpensive. Again, from the northeast, it's typically cheaper and easier to find a non-stop into Fort Lauderdale than Miami, meaning a cruise out of Port of Miami requires an hour long transfer from Fort Lauderdale Airport.

Out of Florida, if you can't afford more than a seven day cruise, you primarily have the choice of eastern or western Caribbean. While I particularly enjoyed the cruise that included Belize and Roatan, I have to admit that I'm getting a little tired of multiple visits to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The eastern itinerary from Florida generally includes no more than three ports, because the islands are really more southern than eastern.

The southern ports are all docking, rather than tendering, maximizing port time. I like that. After two cruises (my third is 2010) in the south, I have many southern islands left unexplored. In 2010, I'll visit St. Croix and St. Kitts for the first time. In 2011, I'm hoping to visit some more new ports - maybe Grenada, Totola, Martinique...there are plenty I've yet to visit.

Who knows what the future may bring, but I fully expect to cruise the next two years in the south, assuming there's still capacity out of San Juan. The weather during the winter months is ideal (rarely rains for more than 10 minutes - not true in the western islands) and I just prefer the islands!

I hope RCI replaces Adventure with a comparable ship. If not, I may be having to - heaven forbid - try out some new lines!
2007 - Carnival Destiny

Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was going to reply to all of these threads but I am pretty new to this, I had to find my last posting took a little while . I was wondering about San Juan location, we usually get to are port a day early and just relax and get ready for are cruise. What hotel do you recommend? Itís going to be me my wife and my two sonsís, so pending about the price all we are looking for is something clean and ready.

As for booking a cruise has anyone every booked a cruise with RCCL when they just opened there books? Reason for the question we want a certain cabin. Does RCCL open there book's on the first of the month? Example: if I am looking at 2011 February would I be correct in saying that august 1st of this summer? Any thoughts?

Old February 24th, 2009, 08:13 AM
10,000+ Club

Airfare to San Juan may be more expensive than to Miami - but it's still cheaper than airfare to Europe!

Old February 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyil View Post
airfare to san juan may be more expensive than to miami - but it's still cheaper than airfare to europe!
amen to that! Quicker too - and no jet lag!!
2007 - Carnival Destiny

Old February 26th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise11 View Post
I was going to reply to all of these threads but I am pretty new to this, I had to find my last posting took a little while . I was wondering about San Juan location, we usually get to are port a day early and just relax and get ready for are cruise. What hotel do you recommend? Itís going to be me my wife and my two sonsís, so pending about the price all we are looking for is something clean and ready.

As for booking a cruise has anyone every booked a cruise with RCCL when they just opened there books? Reason for the question we want a certain cabin. Does RCCL open there book's on the first of the month? Example: if I am looking at 2011 February would I be correct in saying that august 1st of this summer? Any thoughts?
I found out about this website from another cruise critic member. Go to biddingfortravel.yuku.com If you go to the facs about bidding for a hotel, you can find out everything you need to know about using Priceline's "name your own price" feature. This has saved a lot of money on my trips. Last year, I paid $112 for the Caribe Hilton in San Juan and this year I paid $90 for the Intercontinental. Also paid $43 for the Dulles airport Sheraton. All of these hotels website prices were over $200. You choose the category (star level) and area of the hotel, but you can't choose a specific hotel. I chose "resort hotel--San Juan" There are cheaper categories, too.

Old February 26th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Forgot to mention in my post that you can look up hotel reviews on a site called Trip Advisor. It's a lot better to have more than one person's opinion, I've found.

Old February 27th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for that tip. I'll check that out.