If Dubai cuts QE2 loose, what should be her fate?

kelly@

If Dubai cuts QE2 loose, what should be her fate (choose all that apply)?  

315 members have voted

1. 1. If Dubai cuts QE2 loose, what should be her fate (choose all that apply)?

• Become a Southampton-based floating hotel
    • Become a floating museum of ocean liner history
    • Donate parts to be used for the next Queen Elizabeth
    • Re-enlist as a war transport vessel
    • Resume cruising for Cunard
    • Resume cruising for another line (tell us which below)
    • Head to the scrap yard -- she's had her day in the sun
    • I really hope QE2 keeps the gig in Dubai
    • Something else, which I'll post

You may have heard the rumblings that due to the economic downturn, Nakheel, the government-owned company that's handling Queen Elizabeth 2's transformation, may have altered or postponed the plans to convert the former cruise ship into a luxury hotel in Dubai.

It's still too early to tell exactly how the QE2 project will be impacted by Nakheel's financial woes, but news of the company's struggles have led Cruise Critic members to speculate about a different fate for QE2, including a one-way ticket to the scrap yard or even a repurchase of the classic vessel by Cunard.

So, if Dubai cuts QE2 loose, we want to know -- what would you like to have happen to the ship? Vote in our poll, and be sure to post your opinion below!

Kelly

U.K. Editor

The fantasy in me would automatically say "Bring her back to Cunard" and let us all sail on her again. But I am afraid I am too much of a realist - my head and heart never do seem to agree.:o

I think if the Dubai plans do fail then I'm afraid even I would resign myself to the idea of scrapping her.:eek:

However, interestingly, I voted to save her as a floating museum.:D

So totally committed....to all causes!

David

I voted for her to be returned to her home port ( Southampton) that way plenty of cruisers will see her.

However the practicalities would be endless----- who will pay for her to be returned etc.

I suspect that Cunard got a fair price when they sold her, which has probably already been invested in the construction of the new QE.

Well I voted for her to be turned into a hotel if there is anyone out there these days with the resources to do that. She'd fit well in Southampton, it's an active cruising port and she might do well with cruisers coming and going and people looking for a hit of nostalgia. Maybe they'd not mind the small cabins as part of the illusion of being onboard an older ocean liner. It would be easy to incorporate some sort of museum display with in.

To think Cunard/ Carnival would take her back to run her is pie in the sky....2010 is less than a year away and they are focused on their new build....I'm sure they took their money and smiled all the way to the bank. And I don't see them parting with any of it to get her back. The same would hold true for any other line as far as 2010 is concerned.

It's a shame to think of her sitting there neglected but I'd say at this point speculation as to her future or lack therof is just that....but I'd hate to see her on the beach.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

OK, I voted that the QE2 should become something else. The QE2 would be best served as the QE2 condominiums, a ship that would continue to sail around the world with her tenants as passengers, those who would love being a continuous part of the famous ship. That would mean she woudn't remain the property of a country that has no respect for her. She wouldn't become the property of Cunard who really didn't seem to respect her in the end. She wouldn't become the property of a company who would run her into the ground. She wouldn't go to a scrap heap. And she wouldn't become a floating anything. She would remain a ship and sail as she always had as an elegant icon and become the property of owners who would care for her, love her, and enjoy her in the manner she has become accustomed. And I happen to know many board members who would consider being a partial owner of the QE2, a wonderful honor.:)

WOW! The economy is even striking the multi-billioniares! I didn't realize it was that bad. I suppose that all those lovely resorts built near Dubai will turn back to the sands, just like the pyramids.

lol

Come on, do you think the average human being cares that such rich people cannot afford more luxury?

I chose - let another line run her. Carnival/Cunard have made the mistake of letting her go and the corporate stiffs do not deserve another shot at her.

I like to dream that another line would take over, clean her up and run her for years longer. I choose Crystal mostly because they do a world service like QE2 can do. They would be able to send the ship on a varied set of trips that travelers would enjoy.

If Dubai could strip out parts of her insides, maybe someone else could do so and make her into a ship for another bunch of years. The hull and engines are fine. Some of the upperworks could be replaced.

Someone had the idea of taking the logo shop and putting a dining room there. I like that idea. Don't quite know where the galley is, but no one has invited me to do the redesign.

I wonder if part of the problem is they are finding that stripping out the inside decks to rebuild is more of a problem than anyone thought. QE2 was built onsite. Each cabin and space was built on the ship from parts. They didn't do as recent ship builders do which is cabins are pre-made and rolled in place near complete.

The Norway made a lot of people happy for years after the French failed to make a go of her. People would love QE2 again if the right company took an interest.

I sure hope Cunard are rethinking what ships they need, and are considering something other than cruise ship Victoria for their next option. We need a Statendam class ship that can take Cunarders into smaller ports, like Sagafjord/Caronia did.

Or, as one of the QE2 Engineers suggested, she should become a hotel in Southampton...a crew hotel, for all those crew members who join their ships and have to stay overnight or after or before flights home...the rest of the ship could become a restaurant/museum....a huge maintenance job I know....but...

Should the Emeratis want rid of it what about this for a fitting end to ‘the bloody boat’?–

It should be emptied of all hazardous fluids except for enough fuel to run a small generator for about an hour.

It should be rigged overall with the most magnificent firework display.

Then it should be towed out somewhere very deep.

Cruise ships from every company should surround it at a safe distance.

Then immediately after sunset the fireworks should start.

About 2 minutes after they finish the genny should kick in and illuminate the funnel all round.

Suitable music should begin extremely loudly. E.g. Pomp and Circumstance or Nimrod or Barber’s Adagio, something along those lines anyway.

After about 10 minutes there would be a muffled explosion as the bottom was blown out and she would slip beneath the waves with the funnel still lit up and the music playing.

Gari

garigoun,

I think your comments will prove to be very unpopular.

I expect you are right but I think it would be a very dramatic end.

Whatever it becomes, hotel, resort etc. it's going to cost a fortune and there will be hordes of people who hate it anyway It should be scrapped.

Alang or Götterdämmerung?

I know which I think is best.

Gari

Whatever it becomes, hotel, resort etc. it's going to cost a fortune and there will be hordes of people who hate it anyway It should be scrapped.

Gari

Grizzly,

You always have such wonderful ideas. Keep up the good work!!!:):):)

Gari

Should she be scrapped im going to go for the more conventional 'beaching'...

From day one I have been of the opinion that QEII should not have been sold off to the highest bidder and thus discarded like an unwanted ship with a relatively unknown future that was not entirely stable.

Nakheel have run into financial trouble....what more does anyone expect with the recession hitting everyone?

QEII should NEVER have left UK shores, but (and I know this is controversial) since QEII was the only part of Cunard that was BRITISH through and through, CCL decided that if they were to get Cunard more into the CCL mould, the QEII had to go.

She is OUR ship, and we should have been given the chance to take her into one of our ports and restored to how she was before CCL added the broom cupboard cabins and we should have kept her as she is our heritage and no-one elses.

But no, CCL in Miami wanted to get rid of all Britishness and introduce gaudy jelly mould ships that can be found in their other lines, build a French ship and make her so ugly and so big that she bears no resemblance to her supposed British pedigree and then to add a glorified Vista class or two. The only good thing to happen with QV is the dent in her backside when she went into the quay in Valletta. Malta is very British orientated, even if they are no longer formally attached as they were til Mintoff caused ructions in the late 1970's. Tbh I would not be surprised at all if the dent in QV was a protest for ruining the image of Cunard with that floating block of flats that has about as much character as a kitchen sink.

Sorry but Cunard is no longer a symbol of Great Britain, it has not been so since CCL bought it and losing QEII to a foreign buyer proves that CCL wanted to Americanise the brand, just as they have with HAL, Princess & P&O.

I would love to see a company like Saga purchase her so that she could continue in a tradition similar to Cunard of old like the Saga Ruby (ex Caronia) has done.

Yeah but what about everyone who is yet to hit the over 50 mark? I really really want to try the Saga Rose or Ruby but have 35 years to go before I am allowed onboard...

Some great points -- thanks to everyone for voting and posting your thoughts.

From the votes so far, it seems many people would like to see the ship returned to Southampton as a floating hotel or become a floating museum. Please keep making suggestions!

Kelly

U.K. Editor

I love this idea -- the real challenge is, I think, that putting QE2 back into service would require costly upgrades as the onset of 2010's new Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) is going to be tough on older ships.

By the way, we got an official statement from Nakheel this morning:

“The plans for QE2’s full restoration and refurbishment are ongoing as we continue to investigate all our options in leveraging this fantastic asset. We have no intention of selling the ship to any party whatsoever.”

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I would love to see a company like Saga purchase her so that she could continue in a tradition similar to Cunard of old like the Saga Ruby (ex Caronia) has done.

Archived