Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Old February 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Anyone tried Versaspa spray tan?

I've never tried it but the local tanning salon offers Versaspa and I'm considering it. Does anyone have any experience with it? Just afraid I'll turn out orange lol.

Past Cruises:
RCI Serenade Of the Seas June 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2009
Crown Princess Nov 2008
RCI Navigator of the Seas Dec 2007

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
50,000+ Club

Give it a try well before your trip, so you'll have time to "fade" if you don't like it. The artificial tans nowadays aren't "orange"--they're fairly natural looking, but can wear off in a way that will make your "wrinkle lines" (around ankles, wrists, etc...) look dirty.

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

I haven't tried that kind, but I have tried Mystic Tan and I loved it. You just have to prepare your skin right, like exfoliating and moisturizing after showers...stuff like that...they showed me an instructional video before my first time.

Carnival Glory - 11/21/2010
Carnival Destiny - 11/12/2009
Carnival Paradise - 2/27/2009

Proud member of the U.S. Navy since 1996

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

I love Versaspa! I'm a red head, fair skinned so I was verrrry nervous. The first time I did it, she convinced me to get "medium". While I didn't look like a freak or anything, I was a little darker than I was hoping. But I wasn't orange at all. They use a beet base rather than a carrot base like in Mystic Tan. I have since gone back twice and used "light" and really loved the coverage. The first two times, I used no "pre cream" enhancer and the third time I got conned into buying the pre-cream enhancer (she basically forced me) and I feel like it actually made the tan show up less and not last as long (although it could also be because I did zero bed tanning beforehand, and on the previous sessions I had bed tanned a couple of times first). My best experience with it would be my second trip when I used LIGHT setting and no pre cream enhancer because it lasted longer.

Here are some pics that may help.

Me "normal' with just a light bronzer on my face:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberma...7604139411279/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberma...7613109360894/

My first session with Versaspa on Medium, within the first 24 hrs 05/08:
(horribly dorky picture, but the only one with me with normal lighting from first day with tan)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberma...7605911127324/

although my medium looked more "normal" a couple of days later and actually looked better than my light tans... I wish there was a "medium light".. here's a pic from a couple days after my medium tan--

My 2nd session with Versaspa on Light 09/08--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberma...7607350906232/

My 3rd session 10/09 LIGHT and with some crappy enhancement cream (tan looked alright, but didn't last very long)--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberma...7613066426787/

I would consider doing the medium spray again if I stay at home for the first 36 hours. I didn't look horrible, but I was self conscious because I'm a normally fair person.

Counting Down the Days...
Carnival Ecstasy - May 14, 2011 :: BACHELORETTE CRUISE!
Majestic Elegance, DR - July 11, 2011 :: HONEYMOON!

Completed:

Voyager OTS - Jan 10, 2010 :: Scrapbook // Photos

Carnival Ecstasy - Jan 10, 2009 :: Scrapbook // Photos
Carnival Ecstasy - Sept 6, 2008 :: Scrapbook // Photos
Barcelo Costa Cancun - May 25, 2008 :: Scrapbook // Photos
Carnival Conquest - Sept 2, 2007 :: Scrapbook // Photos
Rhapsody OTS - Sept 3, 2006 :: Scrapbook // Photos

Last edited by AmberMarie; February 11th, 2009 at 04:58 AM.

Old February 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. AmberMarie the pics were perfect as I'm not sure between light and medium either.
They offer just a leg spray as well as all over so I think I might try just the legs to see how they turn out and then I'll be more prepared.

Past Cruises:
RCI Serenade Of the Seas June 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2009
Crown Princess Nov 2008
RCI Navigator of the Seas Dec 2007

Old February 12th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberMarie View Post
I love Versaspa! I'm a red head, fair skinned so I was verrrry nervous. The first time I did it, she convinced me to get "medium". While I didn't look like a freak or anything, I was a little darker than I was hoping. But I wasn't orange at all. They use a beet base rather than a carrot base like in Mystic Tan. I have since gone back twice and used "light" and really loved the coverage. The first two times, I used no "pre cream" enhancer and the third time I got conned into buying the pre-cream enhancer (she basically forced me) and I feel like it actually made the tan show up less and not last as long (although it could also be because I did zero bed tanning beforehand, and on the previous sessions I had bed tanned a couple of times first). My best experience with it would be my second trip when I used LIGHT setting and no pre cream enhancer because it lasted longer.

Here are some pics that may help.

Me "normal' with just a light bronzer on my face:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberma...7604139411279/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberma...7613109360894/

My first session with Versaspa on Medium, within the first 24 hrs 05/08:
(horribly dorky picture, but the only one with me with normal lighting from first day with tan)

although my medium looked more "normal" a couple of days later and actually looked better than my light tans... I wish there was a "medium light".. here's a pic from a couple days after my medium tan--

My 2nd session with Versaspa on Light 09/08--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberma...7607350906232/

My 3rd session 10/09 LIGHT and with some crappy enhancement cream (tan looked alright, but didn't last very long)--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberma...7613066426787/

I would consider doing the medium spray again if I stay at home for the first 36 hours. I didn't look horrible, but I was self conscious because I'm a normally fair person.
I will have to look up this kind of spray tan...different base...hummm...thanks for the post and pics, they helped me too!

Old February 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

So what is the cost of this kind of tan?

Old February 24th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_eyedgal View Post
So what is the cost of this kind of tan?
And do they last through going in the water on board and the ocean???

Old May 30th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

I know, bringing back an older thread here...

I just looked into using the Versaspa system. The person said it would cost $30 for 1 session or there was a special where you buy 3 sessions for $40 and get 1 free. If you want to use a level other than light, it's $5 extra. Also, I think that the chlorine would fade the tan quicker and possibly make it uneven. I'm not positive, though, but that's what happens w/other sunless tanning lotions/sprays I've used.

If you're looking for a cream that turns you really dark and don't mind waiting, try SUNlabs.
4-19-08 - Grandeur of the Seas; 7 Night Caribbean Special Cruise

10-10-09 - Liberty of the Seas; 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
10-30-10 - Oasis of the Seas; 7 Night Caribbean
1-15-11 - Celebrity Mercury; 9 Night Bahamas
11-26-11 - Norwegian Jewel; 7 Night Bahamas
9-16-12 - Allure of the Seas; 7 Night Caribbean

~*Amanda*~

Old May 30th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have used both kinds of spray tans mentioned. After one dip in a chlorine pool and the pacific ocean, I emerged, orange, streaky, and spotted. I scrubbed it all off. $40 wasted. I had no clue it would come off like that..but it makes sense..chlorine is bleach.

Beyond that, I loved it..just don't know I would use it if I am going to be swimming in salt and chlorine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDash84 View Post
I know, bringing back an older thread here...

I just looked into using the Versaspa system. The person said it would cost $30 for 1 session or there was a special where you buy 3 sessions for $40 and get 1 free. If you want to use a level other than light, it's $5 extra. Also, I think that the chlorine would fade the tan quicker and possibly make it uneven. I'm not positive, though, but that's what happens w/other sunless tanning lotions/sprays I've used.

If you're looking for a cream that turns you really dark and don't mind waiting, try SUNlabs.

Old May 15th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just tried the VersaSpa for the first time, the day before our last cruise. Got the medium level. It was fairly dark for me as I am of fair complexion...but it looked good. Have to say it's the best fake tan I've ever had. Went snorkelling several times and swimming in the shipboard pool and never had any streaking happen. The tan faded beautifully. Usually fake tans fade and leave dirty looking streaks in wrinkles and creases but this one didn't. Again, best fake tan I've ever had, well worth the money!

Old May 15th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our local day spa just got a VersaSpa spray tan booth, and I tried it out last week. I looked naturally tan and bronzed, and not orange. I was so scared to turn out oompa-loompa like before my friend's engagement party. It lasted about a week, and faded out nicely. I would recommend it.

Upcoming Cruises/Vacations:
November '14 - Carnival Fantasy - Eastern Caribbean

Past Cruises/Vacations:
May '07 - Empress of the Seas - Bermuda
July '08 - Land Vacation - Sandals in Montego Bay, Jamaica - celebrating DH's 30th birthday
May '09 - Carnival Pride - Bahamas
June '10 - Carnival Triumph - Out of NOLA to Mexico - REVIEW
April '11 - Carnival Fascination - Out of JAX to HMC, Grand Turk & Nassau - REVIEW
June '11 - Land Vacation - Wrightsville Beach - celebrating my parents 30th wedding anniversary
June '12 - Land Vacation - Bucuti Resort, Aruba - celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary
September '12 - Carnival Fantasy - Out of Charleston to HMC, Grand Turk & Nassau