Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

View Poll Results: Which luxury deal would convince you to upgrade (choose all that apply)?
$2,000 onboard credit per couple on Crystal's Europe sailings 58 30.05%
Discounts up to $3,000 on Crystal's Europe sailings 88 45.60%
Free airfare and other discounts on Oceania cruises 86 44.56%
Free shore excursions on Regent Seven Seas 35 18.13%
No single supplement on Regent's summer cruises 24 12.44%
Up to $1,500 off Seabourn's Europe cruises 25 12.95%
Two-for-one fares on French Country Waterways 24 12.44%
$1,000 onboard credit on Silversea's summer sailings 27 13.99%
Free airfare on Silversea's Europe cruises 45 23.32%
A different promotion -- I'll post below 5 2.59%
None of the above -- I'll post below 22 11.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Editor

Default Which luxury deal would convince you to upgrade?

A sudden influx of value-added deals have made luxury cruises more affordable than ever before (see our news item here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3057). If you were already planning on a luxury cruise, these promotions definitely sweeten the deal. But if you're deciding whether to upgrade from a premium to a luxury line, the math gets trickier.

Which of these recent deals could convince you to upgrade from a mainstream or premium cruise line to a deluxe or luxury line? Please vote in our poll.

Old February 13th, 2009, 04:51 PM
50,000+ Club

All of the above sound great ..... if I lived in Europe. These upscale cruises could add the same promos in the U.S. and get me. Iv seen most of these in emails, and there is always a catch, like you have to fly to Europe.

Old February 13th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Different: Include round trip TA passage on the QM2 in order to not have to fly....

ancldaca

Renaissance-IV (1994-Windward Islands Southbound) -First and best cruise ever to date.
Nordic Empress (4 day: St Thomas/St Maarten)
Monarch of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
Sun Princess (1998-Alaska)
Adventure of the Seas (7/8/7-Southern) Review:http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=30616
Caribbean Princess (9/16/07-Western) Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=32829
Crown Princess (12/15/07-Southern) Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=35864
Caribbean Princess (04/06/08-Eastern) Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=40724
Caribbean Princess (05/01/08 - 3 Night) Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=41545
Adventure of the Seas (10/5/08-Southern) Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=47660
Majesty of the Seas (10/21/08 - 3 Night) Review http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=49233
Island Princess (1/3/9-Panama Canal) Temp review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=906602
Majesty of the Seas (8/14/09 - 3 Night Bahamas)
Crown Princess (12/12/09 - Western Caribbean)
Silver Cloud (3/24/10 - Eastern Caribbean)
Serenade of the Seas (9/19/10 - Southern Caribbean)
Silver Spirit (12/11/10 - 10 Day Barbados - Ft Lauderdale)
Carnival Destiny (6/9/11 - 4 night Mexico)
Oasis of the Seas (12/24/11 - Western)
Silver Wind (9/24/12 - Athens to Venice)
Carnival Victory (12/9/12 - Eastern Caribbean)
Norwegian Perl (2/17/13 - Western Caribbean)
Jewel of the Seas (9/14/13 - Eastern Caribbean)
Adventure of the Seas (11/4/13 - Westbound Transatlantic)
Pullmantur Monarch (3/24/14 - Aruba/Aruba) Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...2#post42310752
Pullmantur Monarch (9/15/14 - Aruba/Aruba - the no a/c cruise)

Old February 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Senior Editor

Ancldaca, I don't know if you're joking or not, but I recently wrote up just that deal! See: http://www.cruisecritic.com/bargains...fm?NewsID=7628

It's a 23-night Western Mediterranean cruise on Queen Mary 2, sailing roundtrip from New York. The itinerary is essentially a cruise to Portugal, Italy, Monaco and Spain bookended by two transatlantic voyages between New York and Southampton.

The inside cabin rate was actually pretty good -- if you can stomach 23 nights with no window!

Old February 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you Erica! Now that sounds VERY interesting!!!!!!!

ancldaca

Renaissance-IV (1994-Windward Islands Southbound) -First and best cruise ever to date.
Nordic Empress (4 day: St Thomas/St Maarten)
Monarch of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean)
Sun Princess (1998-Alaska)
Adventure of the Seas (7/8/7-Southern) Review:http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=30616
Caribbean Princess (9/16/07-Western) Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=32829
Crown Princess (12/15/07-Southern) Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=35864
Caribbean Princess (04/06/08-Eastern) Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=40724
Caribbean Princess (05/01/08 - 3 Night) Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=41545
Adventure of the Seas (10/5/08-Southern) Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=47660
Majesty of the Seas (10/21/08 - 3 Night) Review http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=49233
Island Princess (1/3/9-Panama Canal) Temp review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=906602
Majesty of the Seas (8/14/09 - 3 Night Bahamas)
Crown Princess (12/12/09 - Western Caribbean)
Silver Cloud (3/24/10 - Eastern Caribbean)
Serenade of the Seas (9/19/10 - Southern Caribbean)
Silver Spirit (12/11/10 - 10 Day Barbados - Ft Lauderdale)
Carnival Destiny (6/9/11 - 4 night Mexico)
Oasis of the Seas (12/24/11 - Western)
Silver Wind (9/24/12 - Athens to Venice)
Carnival Victory (12/9/12 - Eastern Caribbean)
Norwegian Perl (2/17/13 - Western Caribbean)
Jewel of the Seas (9/14/13 - Eastern Caribbean)
Adventure of the Seas (11/4/13 - Westbound Transatlantic)
Pullmantur Monarch (3/24/14 - Aruba/Aruba) Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...2#post42310752
Pullmantur Monarch (9/15/14 - Aruba/Aruba - the no a/c cruise)

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM
5,000+ Club

Throw in the airfare and the deal always is much sweeter. Plus, it lessens the hassle of trying to book both.

The deals on luxury sailings seem to be attracting some people. One of the women I work with just booked Seabourn on Thursday. There is a group of about 4 couples all doing the Med together. Even though the economy is not so great, they decided they couldn't pass up the better fares.

NEXT UP: Alaska! Summer 2014
PAST: Closing in on 20 cruises on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Deal or no Deal?

As for those deals with Free Air. I think they are a bit of a racket. If you look at the pricing carefully, they are just bundling the airfare in IMHO.
A cruise we recently looked at was advertising 1500 including free air. By the time we looked at a balcony cabin (1500 was a low catagory inside), the Per person price was 3900 CDN!!! Not such a deal.

Martha

Princess Panama Canal 2001
RCI Brilliance of the Seas 2005
Star Princess Western Caribbean 2007
Ruby Princess Southern Caribbean 2010
Emerald Princess February 6-16, 2011
Crown Princess BtB Feb 2012
Caribbean Princess Feb 2013
Emerald Princess Feb 2014

Old February 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
5,000+ Club

None of the Above because I don't want luxury on a cruise. I want comfort and quality, yes, but I want more laid back than my image of a luxury cruise.

December 2013 RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean, March 2013, Hurtigruten Polarlys Norwegian Coastal Voyage; November 2012, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - Repositioning from NJ to San Juan;
May 2011, Carnival Fantasy – Bahamas; January 2011, Celebrity Eclipse – Eastern Caribbean; August 2008, RCCL Radiance of the Seas – Alaska; April 2008, Louis Cruise Lines’ Cristal – Eastern Mediterranean;
January 2008 – HAL’s Westerdam – Southern Caribbean; October 2007, Celebrity Galaxy – Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea; November 2006, RCCL Brilliance of the Seas – Transatlantic;
August 2006, Norwegian Dawn – Bermuda and Bahamas; November 2005, Norwegian Majesty – Western Caribbean;
February 1998, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Fantome (RIP) – Eastern Caribbean Solar Eclipse Cruise;
January 1995, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ Flying Cloud – British Virgin Islands

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

Old February 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Editor

Default Luxury

I've got to say that my husband and I are already taking advantage of great deals in luxury hotel rates, dropping as a result of the economy, now and again. We really appreciate, even if it's a one night getaway, that sort of Calgon-take-me-away kind of experience. We've seen fairly amazing-good prices on Ritz-Carltons -- have stayed at one in Ft. Lauderdale and one in NYC's Battery Park City for rates that, at the same time, Hilton, Sheraton and the like, were charging.

And a one night getaway at both properties -- both offering excellence in all regards -- was as soothing as a real getaway.

Frankly, we normally, if being indulgent, would stay at smaller upscale places (in Ft. Lauderdale we love the Pillars at New River Sound) but because they are smaller, they don't have the rate flexibility that a bigger property chain might....

When I saw the press releases hawking the new luxury cruise deals I have to say -- I was shocked and tempted, both. I've never seen anything like this in the decade-plus I've been covering the cruise industry. We definitely might consider booking for our vacation one of the deals on cruises (if I was sure I could actually relax and not feel like I have to work all the time, LOL). I'm inclined to go for the Crystal offer, not just because the line's already discounting fares but also because there's more to spend your money on onboard Crystal than other lines; it's less all inclusive than Seabourn, Regent Seven Seas and the like.

One part of the freebie package I'd probably not even be tempted by is complimentary airfare. I'd so much rather be in control of how I get to wherever it is that I'm cruising (in most cases with these deals it's Europe) and frankly, another odd bonus of this horrid economy is that flights are actually available and pretty evenly priced. Typically and in my experience when you book through cruise line's air, it's coach and not business (though upgrades are offered you do pay for them) and you tend to get the dregs (way too many middle seats) which has always surprised me. Why people would spend thousands and then accept "free air" that socks you in to a cramped seat to Europe boggles my mind but there you have it. You're better off buying your own....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic

Last edited by editor@cruisecritic; February 15th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
10,000+ Club

While the luxury part sounds good, the ships are really small. That poses a two-fold problem for us: 1) increased likelihood of me getting seasick (I do okay on the larger ships) 2) no children's programs on most, and we travel with our DS, who is 7 right now.

Celebrity Galaxy 11/04
Grand Princess 2/06
Carnival Conquest 10/06
Celebrity Mercury to Alaska 9/07 very cool - literally!
Vegas, baby! 11/08
NCL Spirit 1/09, where everybody knew my name (which was strange and a little fun at the same time)
NCL Pearl 3/10
HAL Oosterdam 5/2011, back to Alaska we went!
RCCL Mariner OTS 3/2012 - another 1st!
NCL Star 12/2012 - more firsts!
NCL Jewel 12/2013 - Christmas on the water
NCL Jewel 11/2014 - and a few more firsts!
NCL Sun 5/2015 - North to Alaska, this time into Denali!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
5,000+ Club

Since airfare usually costs twice as much as the cost of cruising, I would totally go for SilverSea's recent offers of free airfare.
We are giving RCCL one more try, but unless blown away, we will be sailing SilverSea from now on....

Old February 16th, 2009, 02:01 PM
10,000+ Club

One thing that would sweeten the deal for me would be better deals for solo travelers. Every so often those come along, but not often enough.....

Old February 17th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Editor

Default Solo deals

Cruisemom42, if you're hoping for solo deals on luxury lines, now's the time to look. Oceania and Regent Seven Seas are offering no or low single supplement promotions, and I've seen solo traveler promotions on more "niche" lines like Uniworld, Hurtigruten and Voyages of Discovery (the deals we posted have expired, but there may be new ones).

Old February 17th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokaheena View Post
Since airfare usually costs twice as much as the cost of cruising, I would totally go for SilverSea's recent offers of free airfare.
We are giving RCCL one more try, but unless blown away, we will be sailing SilverSea from now on....
I cannot even imagine comparing the two? While I have not sailed on SilverSea, the prices have made my chin drop. Comparing a mid-range, family cruise line to an upscale, luxury line? I doubt there will be any comparison ! While I have a good time on RCCL (or NCL or Princess or Celebrity), I haven't been blown away by any of them for years. I would expect to be blown away by SilverSea if I ever find a deal that I could not pass up!

INSIDE/OUTSIDE AND LUVIN' IT NOW!

Old February 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz54 View Post
As for those deals with Free Air. I think they are a bit of a racket. If you look at the pricing carefully, they are just bundling the airfare in IMHO.
A cruise we recently looked at was advertising 1500 including free air. By the time we looked at a balcony cabin (1500 was a low catagory inside), the Per person price was 3900 CDN!!! Not such a deal.
You too? Every time I receive this "outstanding deal" from Oceania, I go through the booking process online. The last time the "free air" came to $987 each in taxes! I don't look at their "deals" any more.......

INSIDE/OUTSIDE AND LUVIN' IT NOW!

Old February 17th, 2009, 02:54 PM
5,000+ Club

Default ...

while they all sound wonderful I just dont think I am in the market fopr a european cruise at the moment...the less expensive caribbean and mexican cruises are more in our budget at the moment
12/06 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
05/07 Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Maiden Voyage
10/07 Vision Of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
04/08 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
09/08 Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - now C&A Platinum
01/09 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 1
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 2
12/09 Celebrity Equinox - Southern Caribbean
04/10 Radiance of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
10/10 Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean
03/11 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
05/11 Carnival Paradise - Baja Mexico

So far 101 wonderful days spent at sea!!

Old February 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Right now, we do not have the time to spend on a European vacation. Figure a minimum of two days travel to, plus two days travel from, Europe, plus a 7-10 night cruise... this makes for a no-can-do vacation. Our time is very limited as to when we can get away, what with the kids' schedules, work schedule, and other considerations...

SO I said "other" because my answer is pretty much that nothing could get us on a premium (or other!) ship at the moment. I have booked a special cruise for me way off in October 2010. That's all I/we can fit in for cruising in the next couple of years. We're doing Cape Cod for a week this summer and Disney for a week next summer... so we're vacationing, just not cruising.

Oh, and we have promised to take our children on our next cruise (after my "girls only!" trip next year of course!). So this will probably be 2012 or so... and we are not taking our children on a luxury cruise! Regular cruiselines should be more than sufficient for our family.
HAL Maasdam 7-night Eastern Caribbean 1/2009 ~ our 7th wedding anniversary cruise ~
CCL Liberty 7-night Western Caribbean 10/2010 ~ my 30th/mom's 50th "girls only" birthday cruise ~
CCL Liberty 7-night Eastern Caribbean 2/2012 ~ our 10th wedding anniversary cruise ~
CCL Splendor 8-night Bahamas 2/2014 ~ our 12th wedding anniversary cruise ~
UP NEXT:
~TBD~

Last edited by ViolaSwamp; February 17th, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

Old February 18th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default All inclusive

While some of the luxury lines have all inclusiveness in their prices these are usually on smaller ships. If a cruise line could offer a 77,000 ton or bigger ship that would be all inclusive.....now your talking my language! My wife gets sea sick on the bigger ships somewhat and our recent cruise on the Carnival Holiday was the worst, but also the smallest ship we've been on.

As for all inclusive....We normally spend $1000 on board on a 7 day cruise so the pricing being offered lately has really caught my attention as an all inclusive would be comparably priced. Smoking is also an issue as more of these luxury cruises seem to be making it harder and harder for a smoker like me to smoke on their ships. If there is a line out there that can give me all these things then please let me know and we would be booking tomorrow!

Happy Cruising
Tim

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph Feb 22 09
Island Princess Nov. 09

Old February 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

best deal .......... 2 for 1....... 7 day cruise to the caribbean, hopefully on Oceania.

Last edited by VIRGINIA ARTIE; February 18th, 2009 at 01:34 PM.

Old February 19th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default I'm just to COMMON

Actually, no discount or perk would convince me. I cruise on Royal Caribbean because I LIKE the tacky 70's party on the Promenade, the "Quest" show, the belly flop contest, the crew versus passenger dodge ball...

I used to cruise on Carnival and liked it, but consider RCL to be a step above in regard to service. They offer PLENTY enough "luxury" for me!
2006 - Carnival Inspiration
2006 - Carnival Valor (eastern Caribbean)
2007 - Carnival Destiny
2008 - Carnival Imagination
2008 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
2009 - Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas
2010 - Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas
2011 - Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas
2014 - Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas