Booze secrets

AllyKatGA

I have heard all sorts of different recommendations about bringing booze onto Celebrity, but we have never traveled with them before and I want to make sure.

How much wine can you bring on board in the beginning? Are you allowed to bring liquor on in the beginning or from the ports?

My drink bill is usually several hundred dollars, and this time we are going away for two weeks instead of one. I need all of the tips I can get!

I figure if I need to, I can always get a bottle of Vodka and pour it into a water or 7 up bottle. Other than that, does anyone have any ideas?

Also, I have learned that it's a good idea to make friends with the entertainment staff at the beginning of the cruise. They have a certain amount of drinks they can buy passengers.

:D

We are just back from Infinity and took on board some whisky and Baileys to have in our cabin and ordered Cheese and fruit platters for our pre dinner drinks. We also bought wine in the ports and brought back on for same use. We were not asked about alcohol and our bags were scanned. We only drank this alcohol in our stateroom. We ordered wine from the Sommelier in the dining room and drinks from the bars in public areas. Our drinks bill was still quite high but having our cheaper drinks in the stateroom was an advantage. Colleen.

We've also taken several (6 or more, total) bottles of wine & some booze in our carryons for use in our room & never had any problems when they scanned the bags. If you're flying though, you might want to reconsider putting anything in a plastic bottle--some friends had theirs confiscsated at the airport.

This is such a frequent topic, I decided to see what the actual policy is. I want to the Celebrity and found the following:

"What is Celebrity's liquor and alcohol policy?

-No alcoholic beverages may be purchased ashore for consumption onboard.

-Onboard purchases from the gift shop of any bottle of liquor will be held until the last night of the cruise when it will be delivered to the stateroom.

-Celebrity Cruises will not serve alcoholic beverages while a vessel is at sea to guests under 18 years of age. In port, the minimum drinking age is 18 or 21, in accordance with local legal age limits."

Apparently, that is Celebrity's policy. The only real question is weather or not they enforce it, or only enforce it occasionally. With my luck, I'd get nabbed.

My "need" is to simply have a drink or 2 before dinner while getting dressed & to relax in our cabin prior to going out. Our bar tab is still over the top on each & every cruise, it's not that we "sneak, smuggle or try to see how many rules we can break", we just want to have something to drink in our room & share with friends who may drop in. We also spend time on our balcony reading & enjoying a glass of wine once in a while. I don't try to hide it at all. If Celebrity wants to take it away, so be it, they don't happen to carry the brand of wine we like and they have never taken it away from us. When we have had the occasion to take a bottle to dinner, we also pay the corkage!

Believe me, they are making a killing off our booze tab anyway! AND yes, I know clearly what their printed policies are---like I said if they want to take it away, I completely understand. I walk in with it in my hand, they see it & they do what they will do each & every time!

I believe it should be left up to ones therapist to secure a definitive answer to your rhetorical question. Mine says I have a deep seeded need to maximize my financial assets and rebel against those that feel they have a monopoly on my addiction. In a phrase I want the freedom to purchase when and where I want.

Why do some people think it is necessary to "sneak" liquor onto a ship? Is it to save money or to feel they have pulled a fast one by breaking the rules and getting away with it?

For me it has nothing to do with saving money. It for the convinance. sp

I will be in a suite with a large balcony. When I want a drink I want it now. I don't want to wait for room service or get dressed to go to a bar..(althought the sky bar will be just down the hall...:) ). We always meet nice folks and invite them to our room for afternoon coctails and munchies. If we want several drinks each it is a pain to keep calling for room service. After all the larger suites have a stocked bar.

And by the way. I don't "sneak" my liquor onto the ship. They freely have alowed it...:)

And before someone mentions it, what comes in the minifridge doesn't cut it.

I also have no problem with buying from the ship store and taking it to my room.

RULES: The cruise contract says that you can bring on alcohol subject to the discretion of Celelbrity. The cruise contract supersedes their web site and brocheurs.

SNEAKING BOOZE ONBOARD: If it is scanned by the X-ray machine they see it; therefore it is not hidden or sneaked!!!

REASONS FOR TAKING YOUR OWN BOOZE ONBOARD: That is your business and nobody elses...as long as you are not bothering anyone else or imbibing outside your cabin...wine taken or sent to the dining room is the exception. WHAT YOU DO IN YOUR OWN CABIN IS NOBODY ELSES BUSINESS...CLICK!!!

HAVE A GREAT VOYAGE AND ENJOY!!!

ROSS

We have a flask we take in our suitcase to hotel rooms so that we can have a drink in the privacy of our room if we choose. Should I feel like I am taking up a room that would produce a potential tip for a bartender by someone who frequents the bar downstairs? No.....

Hello all,

Last year we sailed on RCCL and found a little known (or shared) secret about buying liquor bar cards. I think we paid $40 or so for 12 drinks. The bartenders weren't so eager to share this info we found. Now we are going to be sailing with Celebrity Summit in December and wonder if anyone knows if they have the same thing??

It really saved a lot of money with drinks! ;)

In my opinion, anyone who condones the practice of sneaking liquor on a ship but condemns cruisers who do not follow the recommended dress code is a hypocrite. A person either believes rules are meant to be followed or a cruiser has the right to do whatever he/she feels is necessary to enhance his/her cruise experience.

I know I've gotten some free drinks from my "preferred" waiters on previous cruises, but I never thought about the entertainment staff. (but, then, I'm not an "entertainer" like you).

I always pack vodka (in water bottles).....While I have never sailed Celebrity before, I think the rationale behind the rule is that they don't want some of the pax walking around carrying fifths (because, then, everybody will be carrying their own fifth). "Discrete Use" is key, like in your own cabin or in an unmarked glass.

Bon Voyage!

We've never been stopped bringing on booze at embarkation. Think about it. They don't have the time or want to create a scene when they have to get thousands of passengers on board.

We have seen hard liquor confiscated (until the end of the cruise) at duty free ports and there was a notice in the daily that this might happen. Never saw this with wine or beer.

"Sneaking" a resonable amount of liquor on at embarkation really isn't necessary, plastic bottles and other things. If you are going to take keg on board however that might not work ;).

Archived