Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old February 27th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Fire Onboard Costa Romantica Impacts Cruise, Cancels Another

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Fire Onboard Costa Romantica Impacts Cruise, Cancels Another

Read the entire news article...

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Fire on board Costa Romantica

I was on that cruise and this article glosses over what really happened. We were kept on the ship for 28 hours after the incident. Disembarkation did not start until 1am on Friday morning (27/02/09). We were without flushing toilets and running water for 20 hours. The whole ship stank of raw sewage. The public toilets were awash with urine. People could not return to their cabins as they were full of smoke. They had to sleep in the public areas which looked like a refugee camp. There was no organisation and very little information from Costa. 1700 passengers were treated like 1700 cattle. I remember they offered us 20% off the next cruise. I don't remember being offered a refund to the value of 2 days of the cruise. We finally got home on 1st March. We should have been home on 27th Feb.

Old March 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Life on the Costa Romantica

I was also on the ill-fated cruise, I totally agree with Cool Cruisers comments and would like to add my own.

After the initial fire was put out the deck 6 and below were closed including the cabins. I was in an inside cabin and there was no emergency lighting or ventilation, it was absolutely pitch black, the only way to get light and air (even though it was hot and stale) was to have the cabin door open.

There was no hot food provided on the ship after the incident even though only the first sitting had eaten that evening, and this along with the lack of sanitation was yet another health hazard.

Costa have lost my custom, and I wonder how many others?

Old March 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Fortunatly I wasn't on this cruise, but since there was more than 300 brazilians aboard, the local press gave it a lot of attention, and from all I saw and heard, it was exactly like the two cruisers here reported. A mess! They also aired here an amateur video which shown just chaos.

Old March 5th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Video Link

Hi Mario

Can you give me a link to the video please.

Thanks JA

Old March 5th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default You are welcome JA

The one I was talking about and much more. embedded in a TV show, Very comprehensive:
http://fantastico.globo.com/Jornalis...EGOU+FOGO.html

local TV news report including passengers being interviewed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SdTizVmvZU

Member of the crew relating what happened:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bk4U...eature=related

Old March 14th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for sharing the true story. I'm set to sail on the Romantica at the end of May in Europe....hopefully that will give them enough time to clean the mess up!!

ELT

Old March 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi everybody... I was supposed to be on the canceled Costa Romantica cruise with my husband... for our honeymoon. Not only we were obviously disappointed, but Costa Crociere was absolutely non-professional and treated us as beasts! They told everybody "we were offered an alternative vacation". Oh no my dear... they offered us to go to the sea... We left Italy - our country - with wool jumpers and winter clothes because we were supposed to have 10 days in Patagonia... and they offer us a week at the sea???? They made us wait for two days before telling us something and - attention - we didn't see anybody from Costa Crociere, only some local people from a travel agency and the only thing they told us was "I don't know, sorry, Costa doesn't give information", whatever was the question. And they spoke only Spanish. People who chose to come back to Italy had various problems (for example a wife and husband with 2 different flights on 2 different days!). We decided to stay and to organise a holiday by ourselves... and to go to a lawyer now! Never again...

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Product Development

Thanks, everyone, for posting your personal stories and comments on this situation. There are always several sides to every story, and at the time we published the basic facts, there were no reader reports here. This unfortunate incident no doubt put a damper on folks' cruise vacation plans! We'll continue to investigate and issue updates as the situation warrants.

Old March 18th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Like honeymooner2574 we were totally disgusted at the unprofessionalism of Costa. When we finally got home, we discovered that they had overcharged our credit card by 30 times more than we actually owed them!! So we're having to sort that out now as well. They're a cowboy, amateur outfit and we will never use them again and will urge others not to use them either.

Old April 12th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default The costa failure story (G)rumbles on

Costa have now refunded us our 2 days cruise charges and given us 20% off our next cruise with them but we don't want to go with them again!!!
We had a post cruise hotel package which we lost apart from the last 12 hours, which has not been refunded. Our travel agent is doing his best to pursue this for us. He is not happy with the service they have provided to us during and after the cruise and says he will be reluctant to recommend costa to his other clients in the future.

Old April 19th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

You should have been offered at the mininum 50% off the next cruise. Not only that, how many extra vacation days were you out from work? For some who do not get paid, this too should be covered by Costa.