Catching a cab in Costa Maya

tiamar

Before we went on our cruise, I appreciated the help from this board and all of the advice on what to do and where to go. One of the things I thought I would share was how to catch a cab in Costa Maya.

Once you arrive in port, follow everyone into the area and will start turning left toward the "taxi" sign. Then walk through a wooded wall area to the back parking area where buses pick up excursions, where jeeps are available for rent, etc. Look ahead and to the right and you will see a security gate. Just walk right through it and you will immediately see cabs parked a few hundred feet away. When we got there, there was someone who spoke English, but I was able to communicate to the driver in Spanish our destination.

I am attaching a few photos here to help. I personally found the port extremely commercialized. If you want to buy stuff, you will certainly find it here. If you want to learn about a culture and experience life in a different country, don't stay in the port, which was extremely overcrowded.

100_2381.jpg.6414e9694007405b9267b864cbf8e9f7.jpg

100_2382.jpg.c76476560580428de16f5b78e0544fd1.jpg

100_2383.jpg.abc9bf22d33cf4bad6ed5c1e144b663d.jpg

100_2384.jpg.15834429899b5beca6ed9d5012f3a9a6.jpg

Before we went on our cruise, I appreciated the help from this board and all of the advice on what to do and where to go. One of the things I thought I would share was how to catch a cab in Costa Maya.

Once you arrive in port, follow everyone into the area and will start turning left toward the "taxi" sign. Then walk through a wooded wall area to the back parking area where buses pick up excursions, where jeeps are available for rent, etc. Look ahead and to the right and you will see a security gate. Just walk right through it and you will immediately see cabs parked a few hundred feet away. When we got there, there was someone who spoke English, but I was able to communicate to the driver in Spanish our destination.

I am attaching a few photos here to help. I personally found the port extremely commercialized. If you want to buy stuff, you will certainly find it here. If you want to learn about a culture and experience life in a different country, don't stay in the port, which was extremely overcrowded.

Where did you take cab too? We have a reservation at Maya Luna Hotel. They say it is about 6 miles from port. What are cab fares and do you know what those little dune buggies rented for? We will be there March 13th. Thanks so much for posting this info.

• 2 weeks later...

We followed you advice and rented an outside cab to Hotel Maya Luna. $9 per cab each way. There were 6 of us so two cabs. They would not or could not take us all in a van. Not sure why. Your directions to cab area were perfect. The van and cab people inside the port area tried to hassle me some but I persistently stayed the course. Saved us about 12 dollars each way. Thanks so much.

Archived