Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

View Poll Results: What do you think of Epic's Studio cabins (choose all that apply)?
Tiny room, communal living space -- I'll go back to college for that! 267 33.67%
The studios really do look cool, but I definitely need more space. 231 29.13%
Love it! Small room = big savings. (It's just a place to sleep after all.) 161 20.30%
I like the idea of meeting other travelers in the shared living space. 100 12.61%
I dislike the idea of having to share my living space with others. 225 28.37%
I don't get it. Why do people who pay the least get concierge service? 110 13.87%
I have another opinion (which I'll post) 27 3.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 793. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Product Development

Default Norwegian Epic Studios: Too Tiny or Super Chic?

During NCL's press conference today at the Cruise Shipping Miami Convention, the line announced that Norwegian Epic will feature 128 Studio cabins that are 100 square feet apiece. Long story short, these cabins are tiny (click here for the full story).

What's the draw? The Studios feature sleeker decor including special color changing lighting effects. Also, Studio guests get an exclusive, shared social space called the Living Room that features a bar; two large TV screens; a concierge, for booking dinner reservations and shore excursions; and modern, white couches and chairs. The starting price for the Studios will be same as for New Wave Standard inside cabins, which measure a just slightly roomier 128 square feet.

We want to know what you think: Would you pay standard inside rates for a smaller cabin that's more chic and provides access to a private lounge? Or is 100 square feet simply not enough space for a cruise vacation? Vote in our poll above, and post your opinions below!

Last edited by melissa@cruisecritic; March 18th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Melissa,

I think it's great that NCL has spa rooms I think they should do this on all ships even if it is a few cabins the Living Room also sounds great!

It does sound very small but with the spa and the Living Room perks would mean less time in your cabin.

I do not think I would book that cabin any time soon I don't love the look and I'm not sure about the colored lights.
Also if I was going on a cruise with my son or even a friend it would be to small.

Hope they use this idea for other NCL ships they can call them the spa Mini suites you know the mini suites next to the spa
NCL Gem Review 2/08 Courtyard Villa
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=724942
NCL Dawn 1 Night 9/07 AB Suite
NCL Dawn Review 7/07 AB Suite
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=599712
NCL Dawn 06/06 AB Suite

Last edited by nyflush; March 18th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:15 PM
20,000+ Club

I commented when I saw them. they are tiny. The idea of adding communal space is a good one and I like meeting people but unless they make them really inexpensive they will be a hard sell...IMO

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
10,000+ Club

I think it is very cleaver. NCL took what would have been the worst cabins on the ship. Small inside of the inside cabins and gave them some buzz. Without the buzz they would have had to almost give this space away to sell it. In my view perfect for a solo cruiser giving them a common area to meet others.

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Senior Editor

Having cruised on easyCruiseOne, I know I can survive a week in tiny living quarters with no windows. And it's great that the Studios come with a hangout space -- even if it is communal. But my big question about these cabins is what's the storage space like?

On easyCruise, we had one shelf and two hooks and all our stuff remained on the floor -- BIG problem. And even in balcony cabins on regular cruise lines, my stuff manages to spread itself across the room, ending up on the couch, desk, etc. If there's not good storage in these Studios, they will feel cluttered and cramped really quickly.

Erica

Last edited by Erica@cruisecritic; March 18th, 2009 at 01:26 PM.

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
20,000+ Club

I was in 108 sq foot on the Majesty. We kept the cabin cleaner than we did on other larger cabins. It had adequate storage space. But if you note the toilet and shower are seperate in the pictures anyway so the room you had for the mirror is needed less. I am sure the cabin storage will be similar to other NCL ships and will be fine...

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM
10,000+ Club

The more I'm hearing about the Epic, the less it seems to fit our cruising style. But that's OK there's enough variety with the other ships for everyone.

BTW-I can't get that ad to go away to be added to the email list for CC that shows up so I seldom go to the main pages anymore

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Product Development

I think the style is cool, though I'd feel a bit like a fish in a bowl with the windows facing the corridor (I took a Promenade-facing cabin once on Voyager of the Seas, but higher up so I still felt I had some privacy!). And as much as I love my husband...I don't know if I could stand being that close for a full cruise!

One question we have is whether NCL would waive the single supplements for solo travelers in these cabins -- because a Studio might be an OK size for someone traveling alone, and the Living Room offers natural mingling options. We'll keep you posted (Dan Askin, who's on the ground at Cruise Shipping Miami, is seeking the answer).

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Yo, I've seen this before

The room concept reminds me a bit of Yotel, a young chain the currently has rooms inside 2 UK airports and Amsterdam, generally meant for a few hours of rest between connections. The rooms are super small, have windows facing interior corridors and are generally "funky" in design.

Overall I don't know what to think. This is definitely aimed at a younger demographic (a nice hostel at sea?) and because of that I think the pricepoint will end up being lower than the standard insides, but we will see.

Could you imagine though, you booked a standard inside and get "upgraded" to one of these?

Anyways the entire Epic design, from the open baths to these new cabins, is all things you see in modern European design. It's not all that unique, just unique to the North American market. In many ways it's very modern and forward looking, but is that what the north american cruise market needs? Whether it sells well remains to be seen, however I can see this ship becoming the largest ship in the German market, they would eat this design up!

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbisson View Post
The more I'm hearing about the Epic, the less it seems to fit our cruising style. But that's OK there's enough variety with the other ships for everyone.

BTW-I can't get that ad to go away to be added to the email list for CC that shows up so I seldom go to the main pages anymore
Hey there!

You need to make sure that you have your browser set to accept cookies. If you need more information on this, drop me a note.

Laura
Community@cruisecritic.com
Cruise Critic

Follow us on Twitter

Check out thousands of photos in our full-featured Photo Gallery!

Don't miss anything "cruise newsworthy" -- sign up for our weekly newsletter

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM
20,000+ Club

service may be an issue

and there is only 1690 crew. the ratio of crew to passengers is much lower then the Dawn for example.

Guests: 4,228 (double occupancy)
Crew: 1,690

ratio .40(to lower berth number)
for the Dawn and Dream

Crew Members = 1,100/1,126

Entered Service = 2001, 2002

Gross Tons = 91,000/92,250

Length = 965 feet

Number of Cabins = 1,100/1,126

Passenger Capacity = 2,240/2,224 (2,683 max)
passenger/employee ratio .49/.51

Old March 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer418 View Post
service may be an issue
May be is a good way to put it.
They've said how many crew total, but we don't know how many from each ship are involved in service type jobs as opposed how many might be down in the bowels of the ship making the engines run

Old March 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa@cruisecritic View Post
I think the style is cool, though I'd feel a bit like a fish in a bowl with the windows facing the corridor (I took a Promenade-facing cabin once on Voyager of the Seas, but higher up so I still felt I had some privacy!). And as much as I love my husband...I don't know if I could stand being that close for a full cruise!

One question we have is whether NCL would waive the single supplements for solo travelers in these cabins -- because a Studio might be an OK size for someone traveling alone, and the Living Room offers natural mingling options. We'll keep you posted (Dan Askin, who's on the ground at Cruise Shipping Miami, is seeking the answer).
LOL the fish bowl feel was my first thought too! If that was a choice in the poll I would have voted for that
I agree it may be great for a solo cruiser and no singles charge would make this cabin a great choice.
NCL Gem Review 2/08 Courtyard Villa
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=724942
NCL Dawn 1 Night 9/07 AB Suite
NCL Dawn Review 7/07 AB Suite
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=599712
NCL Dawn 06/06 AB Suite

Old March 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbisson View Post
May be is a good way to put it.
They've said how many crew total, but we don't know how many from each ship are involved in service type jobs as opposed how many might be down in the bowels of the ship making the engines run
not many the vast majority(75% or more are in service jobs)...You don't need many people to actually run the ship. Big tankers/box freighters have less than 60....

Old March 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer418 View Post
I commented when I saw them. they are tiny. The idea of adding communal space is a good one and I like meeting people but unless they make them really inexpensive they will be a hard sell...IMO

Completely agree.

Going on the Pearl May 01, 2010? Sign up for the Roll Call at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=913610

Old March 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
5,000+ Club

If I were to ever book the Epic.....I vote small space big savinigs based on this question, "IS IT A BIG SAVINGS" Does anyone one know how much one of these closets go for?
Since times are tough and I may want to cruise more, inside cabin may have to become my choice (didn't sayi it was my first choice) I really only use the cabin for sleeping anyway. I really don't mind sharing a living room with others. It might be fun. Plus, on this ship, there are probably a ton of places you can go and find a quiet spot. I think my daughter dorm room is bigger than that. I would also hope they reduce single cruising fares. Sometimes I think of just booking myself for a little me time but the price is outrageous. (I do get the whole "we need paying bodies" thing)

Since you can start booking today with TA, does anyone know what pricing on any of these cabins are?
Sandy
Regal Empress CTN,Carnival Triumph -Canada,
Carnival Victory-Canada,Carnival Celebration-Nassau/KW , Carnival Legend CTN, NCL Spirit-FL/Bahamas,
NCL GEM - FL/Bahamas,Carnival Miracle CTN, NCL GEM CTN, NCL Dawn CTN , Carnival Triumph Canada,
NCL Dawn - BERMUDA , Carnival Dream CTN, NCL GEM CTN , NCL PEARL-Western Caribbean, NCL GEM CTN, NCL Jewel CTN,
NCL Jewel Bahamas, NCL GEM CTN, NCL Dawn 11 day S. Caribbean. NCL Gem CTN. NCL Star CTN, NCL Dawn W. Caribbean, NCL Jewel CTN
, NCL Jewel NOLA to Western Caribbean.

Charter Member of the HSSO11
Cruisie Floozie
BACE I, II, III, IV
Pier Runner Encourager
SCBSSOGSUP

Old March 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM
5,000+ Club

I felt like I had to go outside to change my mind when I had a 122 sq foot cabin on RCI's Majesty of the Seas. Don't think I could handle one of these.

Past Cruises: Oasis of the Seas - 1/14: Liberty of the Seas - 12/13, 1/13, 12/11, 5/08; Carnival Triumph - 7/13: Allure of the Seas - 4/13, 4/12: Adventure of the Seas - 4/13, 2/11; Independence of the Seas - 12/12, 2/09; Majesty of the Seas - 6/12, 3/03; Serenade of the Seas - 9/11, 9/10, 2/10; Celebrity Summit -5/11; Voyager of the Seas - 10/10; Radiance of the Seas - 5/10, 5/09, 2/08; Navigator of the Seas - 12/09; Jewel of the Seas - 9/09; Grandeur of the Seas - 6/09; Rhapsody of the Seas - 9/08, 5/07, 10/05, 2/04; Splendour of the Seas - 1/07, 1/06; Vision of the Seas, 6/06; Carnival Elation - 9/04; Celebrity Galaxy - 5/00; Monarch of the Seas - 5/98

Old March 18th, 2009, 03:25 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWTYD View Post
If I were to ever book the Epic.....I vote small space big savinigs based on this question, "IS IT A BIG SAVINGS" Does anyone one know how much one of these closets go for?
Since times are tough and I may want to cruise more, inside cabin may have to become my choice (didn't sayi it was my first choice) I really only use the cabin for sleeping anyway. I really don't mind sharing a living room with others. It might be fun. Plus, on this ship, there are probably a ton of places you can go and find a quiet spot. I think my daughter dorm room is bigger than that. I would also hope they reduce single cruising fares. Sometimes I think of just booking myself for a little me time but the price is outrageous. (I do get the whole "we need paying bodies" thing)

Since you can start booking today with TA, does anyone know what pricing on any of these cabins are?
Sandy
I agree with this. We could manage in a tiny cabin since we are used to not spending a lot of time in it. BUT it would have to be a big savings. And since sailing the Epic will require flying to Miami, rather than cruising out of NYC, savings will be an even bigger factor for us than usual. So, as you said, not my first choice, but if it helps to off-set the cost of airfare, I'd do it for the chance to see her. And it's nice to have a semi-private place (with bar) to relax if one of us can't sleep or to wait while another is getting ready, etc.
UPCOMING:
??
GREAT MEMORIES:
(24) NCL Jade to W. Mediterranean, March 1, 2014; (23) Celebrity Constellation to Key West, January 2, 2014; (22) NCL Jewel to W. Caribbean, October 27, 2013 - BOO!; (21) NCL Breakaway to Bermuda, July 21, 2013; (20) NCL Jewel to Nowhere, February 1, 2013; (19) NCL Dawn to Western Caribbean, December 2, 2012; (18) NCL Star (2 night) CTN, April 27, 2012; (17) NCL Gem CTN, January 28, 2012; (16) NCL Jade to E. Mediterranean, November 16, 2011 (The 3-2-1 Cruise: 3 Continents, 2 Women, 1 Ship); (15) CCL Glory to Canada/New England, June 9, 2011; (14) NCL Gem CTN, May 7, 2011; (13) NCL Jewel Cruise to Nowhere, February 12, 2011; (12) NCL Gem to Greek Isles, May 8, 2010; (11) NCL Gem Cruise to Nowhere, January 23, 2010; (10) NCL Dawn to Bermuda, June 21, 2009;(9) NCL Dawn (2 night) Cruise to Nowhere, May 1, 2009; (8) NCL Dawn Cruise to Nowhere, April 30, 2009;(7) NCL Gem to Florida/Bahamas, February 23, 2008; (6) NCL Spirit Cruise to Nowhere, September 1, 2007; (5) NCL Dawn Cinco de Mayo Cruise to Nowhere, 2007; (4) NCL Pearl to W. Caribbean, December 2006;(3) NCL Dawn to E. Caribbean, March 2006;(2) NCL Crown to Bermuda, June 2005;(1) NCL ?? to Bahamas, March 1993

Old March 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It definitely wouldn't appeal to me, but I'm thinking for a single it would be great. And the addition of conceirge is very enticing. A conceirge with the pricing of an inside? I think we may be surprised at how well this cabin goes over.

CG

Official hostess for BACE 1 & 2

Old March 18th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Most Studios To Far from Living Room

From the press release one could be led to believe that these studios surround the living room, but looking at the deck plans most of the studios are a long way from the single living room. The studios are on decks 11 & 12 and run the length of the ship along a central hallway, but there is only one, two-story living room located between the forward elevators. So if you are booked in the aft studios to get to the living room you would need to walk the length of the ship down a narrow meandering hallway and cross over a public hallway. It appears to be a shorter distance from these aft studios to the pool deck than to the living room.

Also the deck plans show white space between many of the studios. Would these be areas for studio-size cabins for the crew? Would the key card central hallway also be used by the crew? Overall it looks like NCL had more crew cabins available than crew needed; so they have come up with some slick PR to sell these cabins to the public.