Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

View Poll Results: Which destination-defining excursion would you like to see? (Check all that apply.)
A "Pirates of the Caribbean" attraction in Freeport, where the sequel was filmed 105 52.50%
Key Lime pie eating contests in Key West 21 10.50%
U2-themed pub crawl in Dublin 34 17.00%
"CSI: Miami" set tour for pre- or post-cruise city visits 53 26.50%
Anime cartoon drawing lessons in any Japanese port 9 4.50%
Obama heritage tour in Honolulu 14 7.00%
I will never book a ship-sponsored tour 31 15.50%
I have a better idea, and will post it below 14 7.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Senior Editor

Default What's next in shore excursions?

At a panel discussion at Cruise Shipping Miami, representatives from cruise lines and travel agencies discussed what's next in shore excursions. Carnival's idea? "Destination-defining excursions" that link the iconic attraction at a port with activities appealing to cruise travelers.

Carnival has already created a "Bobsled Jamaica" excursion that combines a bobsled-cum-rollercoaster thrill ride with interactive displays on Jamaica's Olympic bobsled team. We want to know what you think should be the next destination-defining shore tour. Please vote in our poll and share your comments below.

Last edited by Erica@cruisecritic; March 19th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.

Old March 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

The ship excursions would have to be the ones that are hard to book on your own. Pirates, did that @ Disneyworld. Key lime eating, do that when we visit on our land vacation (Kermits, Blond Giraffe).

Give me the backstage CSI and U2 pub crawl anyday!!

Old March 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Administrator

I couldn't even vote on this travesty. At best shore excursions (those offered by cruiselines AND independent ones) offer a tiny, packaged, sanitized glimpse into the real culture and history of a port. But someone in the industry actually thought those poll choices would be "destination defining?!" Are you kidding me?
  • An "Obama" tour in Hawaii would be "destination defining" -- more than say.... Waikiki, Kauai, Maui, Pearl Harbor, Volcanoes National Park, or Kealakekua Bay (where the bones of ancient Hawaiian royalty were buried in the cliff caves, after which the person given the definite honor of placing the bones was killed)? Gee, so much for the reasons millions of people visited Hawaii before Obama became President!!
  • A pub crawl in Dublin (and yes, I'm Irish!) becomes "destination defining" when it acquires a U2 theme??? I personally think U2 is mediocre at best -- but that authentic Irish pubs are wonderful. Why mix them?
  • Japanese ports are "defined" by offering anime drawing lessons? So......a culture which is thousands of years old is now "defined" by a 20 year old cartoon phenomenon?
  • Key West, with its literary, cultural, and historical traditions ("Conch Republic" comes to mind) is "defined" by a key lime pie eating contest??
  • Freeport is "defined" by a tour themed after the second movie based on a completely fictional theme park attraction located in another nation?
  • Miami is "defined" by a CSI tour? Why not Miami Vice? or Body Heat?
I sincerely hope this panel was just a "brainstorming" session. I didn't see a choice for my vote -- I wouldn't take ANY of those excursions, and don't consider any of them to reflect anything "defining" about the ports in question. In fact -- how arrogant is it of a cruiseline to think IT gets to "define" the cities and towns of independent nations?

Good lord -- welcome to "managed reality."

Upcoming Cruises:

Western Caribbean -- Carnival Sunshine, November 2014

Some Past Cruise Adventures:

Pride of Hawaii, NCL, 2007 (Hawaii) -- MS Volendam, HAL, 2008 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Dawn, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Carnival Triumph, 2009 (Canada) -- Emerald Princess, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2011 (Western Caribbean) -- Celebrity Summit, 2011 (Bermuda Cruise Critic Member Cruise) -- Ruby Princess, 2012 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Sapphire Princess, 2012 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Sky, 2013 (Bahamas) -- Carnival Dream, 2013 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2014 (Western Caribbean)

Last edited by Host Michell; March 19th, 2009 at 08:13 PM.

Old March 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichellP View Post
I couldn't even vote on this travesty. At best shore excursions (those offered by cruiselines AND independent ones) offer a tiny, packaged, sanitized glimpse into the real culture and history of a port. But someone in the industry actually thought those poll choices would be "destination defining?!" Are you kidding me?
  • An "Obama" tour in Hawaii would be "destination defining" -- more than say.... Waikiki, Kauai, Maui, Pearl Harbor, Volcanoes National Park, or Kealakekua Bay (where the bones of ancient Hawaiian royalty were buried in the cliff caves, after which the person given the definite honor of placing the bones was killed)? Gee, so much for the reasons millions of people visited Hawaii before Obama became President!!
  • A pub crawl in Dublin (and yes, I'm Irish!) becomes "destination defining" when it acquires a U2 theme??? I personally think U2 is mediocre at best -- but that authentic Irish pubs are wonderful. Why mix them?
  • Japanese ports are "defined" by offering anime drawing lessons? So......a culture which is thousands of years old is now "defined" by a 20 year old cartoon phenomenon?
  • Key West, with its literary, cultural, and historical traditions ("Conch Republic" comes to mind) is "defined" by a key lime pie eating contest??
  • Freeport is "defined" by a tour themed after the second movie based on a completely fictional theme park attraction located in another nation?
  • Miami is "defined" by a CSI tour? Why not Miami Vice? or Body Heat?
I sincerely hope this panel was just a "brainstorming" session. I didn't see a choice for my vote -- I wouldn't take ANY of those excursions, and don't consider any of them to reflect anything "defining" about the ports in question. In fact -- how arrogant is it of a cruiseline to think IT gets to "define" the cities and towns of independent nations?

Good lord -- welcome to "managed reality."
I was getting ready to post something very similar and you beat me to it. None of these interest me. I really don't want the "sanitized" tourist version of a port. Or the Hollywood version. Where's the local culture here? And a chance to see spectacular scenery and nature at it's finest? I guess I just don't get it.

The article on the new excursion ideas from the convention just left me scratching my head - I will book another "boring" snorkel tour any time because that's something I don't get to see every day, you can snorkel the same spot over and over and see different things, and I get to experience a spectacular part of the natural world. But I guess I'm odd - I really prefer excursions based on local culture, nature, or history and not the typical cruise port shops/bars either. Wish more ports were like Panama, Costa Rica, and Belize where they are relatively undeveloped and you can still experience some local flavor.
Carnival Valor
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Victory x2
Carnival Miracle

Old March 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Your poll is skewed by the fact that there is no category for "none of the above". I am amazed at how often these polls do not have a category which encompasses my views.
Fran

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 20th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'd like to see more honest cooking classes (versus touristy "Americanized" food) in reputable restaurants in some of the ports. I'd love to learn how to make real jerk chicken or Jamaican meat patties for example.

Old March 20th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Those choices are soooo lame, that's not the real thing! Now if it were a U2-themed pub brawl, or a CSI cruise passenger autopsy... an interrogation KGB style in St. Petersburg is what I want! Let me watch a mafia killing in Sicily! Let's spice up the days at sea by feeding the cruise director to sharks! Sheesh, don't those cruise line people watch reality TV?

Seriously, I agree with the majority of the posters above. Those tours sound absolutely horrible. I'd also like to see something that pertains to *real* life at the destinations, as opposed to something staged. The cooking classes are an excellent idea! How does Sicilian history translate into today's life on the island? How do you get fresh water on a remote island? I really enjoy learning something new on my vacations (not studying - learning as in "didn't know that before, glad I took that trip and saw xyz"). To me, travelling is about developing an appreciation for different cultures and places, and none of the above excursions deliver that.

G.

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Let's face it...it's tough to fully immerse yourself in an island's culture on a 6-hour port stop. I think the cruise lines have their work cut out for them trying to find new and innovative excursions that balance time, quality and even price. I agree w/one of the comments above that some of the ideas seem a bit rediculous, but remember that's just one opinion. The cruise lines are moving hundreds of thousands of people through these destinations yearly and they certainly cannot expect to please everyone. There was another comment about cooking classes. In some ports of call, that would be interesting.

In my opionion, stick to the basics. You still need the beach and snorkel excursions for the beach and snorkel people. You still need those "bus" tours for those w/limited mbility or island "first timers." Just do less of them in total. The "jeep" tours are tired, I agree but somehow, they're still popular. Adventure-themed excursions like Zip-lines and Canopy Tours are realatively new though I'm not certain how long they'll last until they get boring. And finally, for me in particluar, you still need toss in @ least 1 GOLF excursion per port call. Seriously.

Carnival Fascination - Eastern Caribbean 3.21.98
Carnival Paradise - Inaugural Season Western Caribbean 3.14.99
Ocean Princess - Inaugural Season Southern Caribbean 3.4.00
RCI Explorer of the Seas - Inaugural Season Eastern Caribbean 1.20.01
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - Western Caribbean 9.9.01
RCI Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean 1.20.02
RCI Adventure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean 9.29.02
Golden Princess - Canada/New England 9.28.03
Celebrity Constellation - Eastern Caribbean 2.14.04
RCI Serenade of the Seas - Alaska 7.3.05
RCI Jewel of the Seas - Canada/New England 9.23.06
Norwegian Gem - Inaugural Season Bahamas/FL 3.29.08
OASIS of the Seas - Inaugural Season Caribbean - 4/10/10
Carnival Miracle - Bermuda - September 2011!

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default It's all about the fun.

The Pirates of the Carribean attraction (OK, it is fictional, but so what) would probably be fun. I'm interested in fun when I vacation. I really don't cruise often enough to exhaust all the current offerings, so I'll just be working my way through the current offerings and if something else interesting crops up and it looks fun I'm all for it.

Cheers,

Ed

Past Cruises:

Enchantment of the Seas (2014), Rhapsody of the Seas (2013), Carnival Fascination (2012), Monarch of the Seas (2011), Carnival Legend (2011), Carnival Sensation (2010), Carnival Sensation (2009). Sovereign of the Seas (2008), Carnival Sensation (2006)

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Surley, when you cruise and land at various ports, you want to see whats real NOT what some overpaid tour operator would want you to see. A d U2 themed Dublin pub crawl River Dancing Lessons would be better and probably a lot healthier after all, one Guiness is enough........ok maybe 2

Old March 20th, 2009, 08:55 AM
10,000+ Club

Default cuisine tours

I would love tours based on the foods of the region.

For a couple of years, Celebrity did a tie-in series with Bon Appetit magazine called "Savor the Caribbean". It was great and I would love to see other lines try something like it, as well as I hope that Celebrity does it again, with or without Bon Appetit.

There were chefs on board who did demonstrations. But the shore excursion part, to answer your question, was that you went to a fine restaurant for a demonstration ( or perhaps some hands-on cooking if the facility was set up that way) and then had a lovely lunch ashore eating what you saw made.

Old March 20th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default These ideas reflect our society

These ideas reflect our society. As a society, we are passive participants. TV, Video games, computer games, internet games, cell phone games! We don't have to do anything, but sit back and let the entertainment 'happen' to us. When I go on vacation, I want to participate and enjoy the scenery, do activities that are different than the activities I do at home, and learn something from the places I visit. I enjoy the learning more than anything else. I never tire of snorkeling. meeting locals, and enjoying their culture. I would not participate in this type of manufactured activity. I would continue doing what gives me the greatest satisfaction when I travel.
X Infinity Feb. 2014 Antarctic ~ X Constellation Dec. 2013 Western Caribbean ~ Caribbean Princess Nov. 2013 Western Caribbean ~ HAL Noordam Feb. 2013 Southern Caribbean ~ Saphire Princess Aug. 2012 Alaska ~ HAL Maasdam April 2012 Eastern Caribbean ~ Celebrity Expedition Dec. 2011 Galapagos ~ Hal Zuiderdam Mar. 2011 Panama Canal ~ Hal Noordam Nov 2010 Southern Caribbean ~ HAL Maasdam May 2010 Southern Carib ~ Azamara Journey Feb. 2010 Southern Carib ~ Golden Princess May 2009 Alaska ~ Tahitian Princess Nov. 2008 French Polynesia ~ X Constellation Dec. 2007 SouthernCarib ~ HAL Volendam March 2006 Southern Carib ~ X Century May 2004 Eastern Caribbean ~ Carnival Paradise June 2002 Western Caribbean ~ RCCL Voyager Dec 2001 Western Caribbean

Old March 20th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

None of these interest me, either.

I would still prefer to spend time on shore exploring the culture and nature - this is why I travel. These offerings just seem cheesy without any real immersion in the port, just superficial diversions. I suppose they could be entertaining for some, which could make them successful, but it's definitely not where my vacation $ are going.

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Product Development

I love a poll that sparks a good debate! A good point was made that the poll choices are not "destination defining" in the way that, say, a Pyramid trek is in Cairo -- that's absolutely true. Our aim here was to get a conversation going by throwing out some possibilities that don't already exist but could be considered characteristic of a specific port of call.

What Carnival's done with the Jamaican Bobsled is take a concept from pop culture and turn it into one of the main attractions in that part of the cruise world, and that was our inspiration for the poll (and these choices were all brainstormed by us, not Carnival -- that could have been made clearer!).

That said, I agree with vacruizer about the merit of excursions based on local culture, nature, or history -- I prefer them in many ports. But folks who've been to a place several times may appreciate having other fun and innovative options to choose from. MoYerclan, excellent idea about the cooking classes!

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hiking and fishing at Alaskan ports fit the bill here. Not only are they "defining" as they are activities popular with Alaskans, some excursions like this are already available.

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Destination-Related Shore Excursions

I agree with this trend because I usually like to find out something about the place I'm visiting. I like the eco-tours, the history tours, etc. but have also enjoyed photography tours and learning about making rum!

Pokyd

Voyager of the Seas - 2006
Legend of the Seas - 2004
Enchantment of the Seas - 2004
Sea Princess - 2003
Ocean Princess - 2001
Monarch of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Mardi Gras - 1985

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:18 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacruizer View Post
I was getting ready to post something very similar and you beat me to it. None of these interest me. I really don't want the "sanitized" tourist version of a port. Or the Hollywood version. Where's the local culture here? And a chance to see spectacular scenery and nature at it's finest? I guess I just don't get it.
I couldn't have said it better. Ditto for the option of "none of the above".

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

As much as I am a fan of almost anything Pirates of the Caribbean, even though I haven't been on my first cruise yet (it's booked, October needs to hurry up and get here...) I wish that there was horseback riding options in all ports. I say this because I haven't seen any horseback riding offered in Grand Cayman.

Whenever I'm on vacation, I want to see the landscape, and I honestly believe that you get the best view (not in the air) when on horseback.

I think surf'n'turf shouldn't just be a reference to a beef and fish dinner combo.

Old March 20th, 2009, 11:34 AM
5,000+ Club

I don't have any better ideas, but I would never do any of the options posted. I think they all sound boring and would probably be ridiculously overpriced.

Give me a sailboat, an uninhabited island, a great snorkeling spot, and rum punch on the way back to the ship and I am happy.

Old March 20th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Ship Excursions

I didn't like any of the ship excursions suggested in the poll. DH and I prefer to go on an adventure on our own and tend to not go on organized ship excursions. I do a lot of research on my own prior to arriving to the ports and determine places of interest. Below are my recommendations:

1. Playa Rincon Beach, Dominican Republic- Ranked one of the best beaches in the world but it is only accessible by boat or 4WD vehicles. I had to purchase this excursion through an outside organization since the ship didn't offer it and it was BY FAR my favorite excursion. It was like we had our own private beach, drank pina coladas from a coconut, and even dined on freshly caught fish, crab, and a local coconut desert. I would really like this included as a ship excursion for Dominican Republic in the future and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it for anyone visiting the port.

2. My favorite television show is "The Amazing Race" where teams race all around the world completing tasks related to the countries they are visiting. I would love to do an active task like Bobsledding in Jamaica or anything where you can learn while doing something active.

3. Offer Day Passes at local resorts. Many of the destination boards are filled with questions on which hotel resorts offer day passes. This would be a great idea to have day passes available for an excursion.
http://www.pinkboasociety.com/

FUTURE
12/2014- RCCL Explorer of the Seas
3/2015-RCCL Grandeur of the Seas
3/2016-RCCL Grandeur of the Seas
PAST
1998-2007 - US Navy "haze gray and underway"
3/2002 - Carnival Fascination
3/2006 - Carnival Fantasy (Nassau) DH 1st Cruise
6/2008 - RCCL Grandeur of the Seas (E. Caribbean)-Honeymoon Cruise
RCCL C&A Gold member status achieved
5/2009 - RCCL Grandeur of the Seas (Bermuda)- 1st Anniversary Cruise