Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Imperial Majesty Cruise Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
slynn1967 slynn1967 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Smile things to do in nassau

Sailing 4/27 for a 2 day cruise.
Where do you get off the ship? What part of nassau and where do you go from there?
Interested in a nice beach, possible snorkeling.
The itinerary has stuff listed and I understand you can book these while on board, but no prices are listed. Should I book through them? Or is it cheaper to do it on my own?
Straw market sounds great!!
First time cruisers so all info would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
leeanninfla leeanninfla is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 417
Default

I personally love Nassau, been there 4 times in the past 1 1/2 years, and once was on the old Regal Empress.

Anyway, first time there I stayed right near the pier, did walking in all the shops, and somewhat of a scavenger hunt, as I had a coupon book with all kinds of free things, in the different shops, and I went from one shop to another for freebies for the kids when I got home. Then we had lunch at Senor Frogs, and went back to the ship.
The ship docks and the Wharf, where you walk off the ship, through the Festival Marketplace and out the doors where you are bombarded by taxi drivers and hair braiders. Once through that you are in the shopping area. Senor Frogs is to the right and all the way down. The straw market you will pass on your left on the way.

The second time in Nassau it was for my daughters Sweet 16 and there were 9 of us, only my Ex and I had been there before, so it was a treat. We hired a taxi at $29pp and dd a tour around the Island, he stopped at a package store for Rum purchases and samples, stopped at the beach to take pictures, stopped at a smaller straw market set up at the base of one of the forts, gave a nice narrated tour of the island, even with history. Then he took us to Atlantis, where we had 45 minutes to walk around, and see the Aquarium, which you can see from inside the lobby for free. Nice, big fish, and a lot of area to see. We had time to go down to the casino, but we didn't play. On the way back to the ship he stopped and we all bought daquari's from the stand by the road just over the bridge on the left, and WOW, they were good.
In December, I took my cousin, and we did a taxi to Atlantis, walked around, saw the aquarium again, as well as the casino. Then took a taxi to Sandals where I had a day pass for us set up. (TA PERK) We then took a taxi back, shopped in the straw market and back to the ship.
In March, just a couple of weeks ago, my best friend and I went, she was with us on my daughters cruise, so we didn't have to do Atlantis again, but I did set up the Sandals day pass again, and we this time took the Jitney, which is the public transportation. It was $1.50 for a ride up the coast, and then $1.25 coming back. They will stop wherever you want them to, and will pick you up wherever also. They will take you to the beach.

I am planning my next trip back, probably on the new Bahamas Celebration as my birthday is in 2 weeks, and I really want to go back to Nassau. HMMM... maybe I should tell my boyfriend and let HIM pay for it.
__________________
Lee "ANNIE" Ann
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
NEBCruiser NEBCruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeanninfla View Post
but I did set up the Sandals day pass again, and we this time took the Jitney, which is the public transportation. It was $1.50 for a ride up the coast, and then $1.25 coming back. They will stop wherever you want them to, and will pick you up wherever also. They will take you to the beach.
How much was the Sandals day pass, if you don't mind me asking? Does it include lunch/drinks, etc. like some of the other day passes? My best friend and I are sailing July 6 and want to do a beach day while in Nassau, then hit the straw market before heading back to the ship. Any advice you can give would be appreciated! Thanks!
__________________

Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:14 AM
mbisson's Avatar
mbisson mbisson is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington State Ellensburger
Posts: 14,105
Default Nassau walking tour

Another thing to do

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...251010008.html

Just one thing---if you follow this tour, when they talk about the post office and say to turn right, that's as you exit. If you just pass the PO without going in, turn left

It's actually a nice little walk-takes you thru the Queens Staircase & to Fort Fincastle
__________________
When there's a leak in the bottom of a cruise ship, it's one hull of a problem
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
hotrod1954 hotrod1954 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEBCruiser View Post
How much was the Sandals day pass, if you don't mind me asking? Does it include lunch/drinks, etc. like some of the other day passes? My best friend and I are sailing July 6 and want to do a beach day while in Nassau, then hit the straw market before heading back to the ship. Any advice you can give would be appreciated! Thanks!
I think i read on the RCI board where the pass to cable beach is 15.00. you can use the pools and chairs for that price . free to go to beach just ride the # 10 bus out there for 1.00 . last time we were there the taxi's will take you for about 4.00. they are knowladgeble on how to do it
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
robsvacation robsvacation is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1954 View Post
I think i read on the RCI board where the pass to cable beach is 15.00. you can use the pools and chairs for that price . free to go to beach just ride the # 10 bus out there for 1.00 . last time we were there the taxi's will take you for about 4.00. they are knowladgeble on how to do it
Sandal's is all-inclusive so their daypass charges are far higher: $110/day plus transfers, but that includes all the facilities of the resort include pools, food, drink and non-motorized watersports. Sandals is adults only so keep that in mind. As per the 1-800 number you need to contact the resort directly to book, check out the website.

Most of the other resorts charge $15-20 which includes use of their pools, towels, etc., but food and drink are extra. The closest is the Hilton which you can see from the ship, but I would not recommend this as the beachs are far, FAR nicer on Cable Beach and it's a short Bus or Cab ride away. When you exit the ship there is a tourist desk that can help you with recommendations (and are usually a little cheaper than the ship.)

The exception to all this is Atlantis which charges $35 to see the full aquarium (there is much more than you can see from the lobby) and to wander the grounds (you can see the other displays as well that way.) $65 gets pool and beach access and $110 gets you access to the waterpark. Note that this does not include food or drink which is breath-takingly expensive. Atlantis is admazing, just not even remotely worth the price in my opinion. Technically the beach is free and there is access from locations on either end of the resort, but you'll likely have issues if you try to use the bathroom of buy something to eat. Also some people sneek into the paid areas. People claimed to have gotten away with it, but on my visit there was staff posted throughout the resort who were actively looking for my bracelet.

As a frequent cruiser let me tell you there are 4 ways to book your shore excursions:
1) through the cruise line themselves which is the easiest and pretty secure but very expensive due to all the mark-ups
2) book before through a tour service (there are a number, a TA can help you out with a name or two) I find this by far has the highest value/cost ratio and are usually pretty painless, just do lots of internet research. Also, I find you get alot of extras booking this way you don't get with the cruise line tours (smaller groups for example, the cruise groups tend to be large as the operators need as many people as possible if they going to make money)
3) In the cruise terminal prior to exiting the building: This is run by the local tourism bureau and not all that much cheaper than the ship, but it does give you some lower cost options
4) on the street as you exit: This is the crazy free-for-all outside the port. You'll find the lowest prices here but you take your chances a bit, the boats might be a little older and buses not quite as nice. However over 1/2 the time you'll find out these are the same people handling the cruise ship tours.

Personally I usually do my internet research and book ahead, it's nice having a plan and people waiting for you. In ports like Nassau which can be a little crazy you'll often have a better experience if you have something arranged. I've also booked right off the street with mixed results (there was a cab in St Thomas once I thought was going to be a one-way trip to the afterlife) The cruise line I usually only bother with if I'm taking a boat to another island and I'm worried I might not make it back to the ship in time (at least with a ship-booked trip they know where you are usually and are more likely to wait for you.) I wouldn't put the water taxi to Atlantis in this category as there are cabs that will bring you back over the bridge for not much more.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
patiently72 patiently72 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 10
Question

What would be the best way to book the Atlantis aquarium tour for 2 adults and 2 kids?
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM
robsvacation robsvacation is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 938
Default Sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patiently72 View Post
What would be the best way to book the Atlantis aquarium tour for 2 adults and 2 kids?
Sigh! No one ever believes me when I say Atlantis is so overpriced. It's really nice, don't get me wrong, it's just not nice enough for what you pay. The Aquarium has no (I mean NO) educational value and it's small. Food is the most expensive I've seen anywhere on the planet (more than London, more than a six flags amusement park, more than a movie theater, the most expensive ANYWHERE!)

Ok, I'm off the soapbox. For 4 just pile into a cab at the dock (likely cheaper than 4 fares on the water taxi) and pay at the resort. You might want to check at the tourist desk by the dock on the way to the curb in case there's some deal, but frankly I've not heard of any discounts to Atlantis (of course with the economy and all, who knows) You can buy tickets to the aquarium in several locations as you wander the resort including at the entrance to "the dig" itself, just ask. When you're going to Atlantis ask the cab driver where to go pick up a cab for the ride back, I think there is an extra charge to be picked up at the resort itself.

The Aquarium pass lets you walk the grounds. Some of the "exhibits" are not worth the walk. You have to pay extra to use the pools, and the waterpark is $110/pp and it's only open from 10AM to 5PM.

Last edited by robsvacation; March 23rd, 2009 at 11:54 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:42 PM
scubagirrl's Avatar
scubagirrl scubagirrl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1954 View Post
I think i read on the RCI board where the pass to cable beach is 15.00. you can use the pools and chairs for that price . free to go to beach just ride the # 10 bus out there for 1.00 . last time we were there the taxi's will take you for about 4.00. they are knowladgeble on how to do it
Cable beach pass is now $40 pp and included a buffet lunch. Day Passes are available at the main check in desk at the wyhndam. The pass allows you to use the beaches and pools at both Wynhdam and Sheraton.

There is not longer a $15 day pass.

Taxi is now $5pp. or you can take the #10 jitney from downtown for $1.25.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:45 PM
scubagirrl's Avatar
scubagirrl scubagirrl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 11,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patiently72 View Post
What would be the best way to book the Atlantis aquarium tour for 2 adults and 2 kids?
Adult Passes are $35/ Kids (4-12) are $26. You can purchase passes in the casino at the center kiosk.

Includes: access to predator lagoon, the dig, ruins lagoon
Not included: access to beaches, pools, slides and private lagoons, meals

Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM
slynn1967 slynn1967 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn1967 View Post
Sailing 4/27 for a 2 day cruise.
Where do you get off the ship? What part of nassau and where do you go from there?
Interested in a nice beach, possible snorkeling.
The itinerary has stuff listed and I understand you can book these while on board, but no prices are listed. Should I book through them? Or is it cheaper to do it on my own?
Straw market sounds great!!
First time cruisers so all info would be appreciated!!

Ok no alot info on snorkeling, so can anyone suggest a nice beach thats not toooooo far and is not to expensive. Just wanna catch some sun and relax.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old March 24th, 2009, 09:22 PM
slynn1967 slynn1967 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Default beaches

Can anyone suggest a good beach? Not too far from the wharf?
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:39 AM
robsvacation robsvacation is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 938
Default Cable Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn1967 View Post
Can anyone suggest a good beach? Not too far from the wharf?
Cable beach is 10 minutes if that from the dock, lined with resorts (a few with daypasses, I've done the Wyndam which I hear now includes the Shreridan next door with the day pass) and accessible by Cab or easy-to-figure-out bus system
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:25 PM
slynn1967 slynn1967 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Default Public beach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsvacation View Post
Cable beach is 10 minutes if that from the dock, lined with resorts (a few with daypasses, I've done the Wyndam which I hear now includes the Shreridan next door with the day pass) and accessible by Cab or easy-to-figure-out bus system

Is this beach public? or do i need to get a beach pass to access? Whats the costif I need to pay?
Any nice public beaches or are they all linked to a resort?
Thanks
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM
yo123 yo123 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15
Default

If you take a taxi ride to atlantis and walk past the buildings and there is a public beach. They have alot of taxis there to take you back to the port. Its very nice and fun. They have all you can drink for only $10.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM
robsvacation robsvacation is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 938
Default Most beaches are public and free in the Bahamas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
If you take a taxi ride to atlantis and walk past the buildings and there is a public beach. They have alot of taxis there to take you back to the port. Its very nice and fun. They have all you can drink for only $10.
...it's getting to them that's an issue! If you want to get to the beach in front of Atlantis you really are suppose to be using the public access points on either side, but if you march in like you own the place (and have your own towels instead of the Carnival ones) you can get away with a lot! I do however think the previous poster is mistaken about "all you can drink for $10" at Atlantis unless that's a soda thing. A froo froo drink at Atlantis is $10 on it's own!

Any cab driver will tell you a good spot to get access to cable beach, including which hotel really don't care. There's a lot to be said for a day pass at the Wyndam/Sheridan: They aren't that expensive and having access to the pool, bathrooms, chairs towels and buffet (if they are still including that option) is worth the price IMHO. Also you can talk to the people at the Tourism desk at the end of the peir, they will know which hotels are now offering day passes.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old October 12th, 2009, 09:03 PM
nursejill's Avatar
nursejill nursejill is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 9
Default Sandals

Hello,

We have also received a TA pass for Sandals, however there is a tour that we have to participate in? Did you take this tour and how long was it? We only have a few precious hours in Nassau and want to make the best of them Also, how long is the Jitney ride to Sandals? Thanks in advance for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeanninfla View Post
I personally love Nassau, been there 4 times in the past 1 1/2 years, and once was on the old Regal Empress.

Anyway, first time there I stayed right near the pier, did walking in all the shops, and somewhat of a scavenger hunt, as I had a coupon book with all kinds of free things, in the different shops, and I went from one shop to another for freebies for the kids when I got home. Then we had lunch at Senor Frogs, and went back to the ship.
The ship docks and the Wharf, where you walk off the ship, through the Festival Marketplace and out the doors where you are bombarded by taxi drivers and hair braiders. Once through that you are in the shopping area. Senor Frogs is to the right and all the way down. The straw market you will pass on your left on the way.

The second time in Nassau it was for my daughters Sweet 16 and there were 9 of us, only my Ex and I had been there before, so it was a treat. We hired a taxi at $29pp and dd a tour around the Island, he stopped at a package store for Rum purchases and samples, stopped at the beach to take pictures, stopped at a smaller straw market set up at the base of one of the forts, gave a nice narrated tour of the island, even with history. Then he took us to Atlantis, where we had 45 minutes to walk around, and see the Aquarium, which you can see from inside the lobby for free. Nice, big fish, and a lot of area to see. We had time to go down to the casino, but we didn't play. On the way back to the ship he stopped and we all bought daquari's from the stand by the road just over the bridge on the left, and WOW, they were good.
In December, I took my cousin, and we did a taxi to Atlantis, walked around, saw the aquarium again, as well as the casino. Then took a taxi to Sandals where I had a day pass for us set up. (TA PERK) We then took a taxi back, shopped in the straw market and back to the ship.
In March, just a couple of weeks ago, my best friend and I went, she was with us on my daughters cruise, so we didn't have to do Atlantis again, but I did set up the Sandals day pass again, and we this time took the Jitney, which is the public transportation. It was $1.50 for a ride up the coast, and then $1.25 coming back. They will stop wherever you want them to, and will pick you up wherever also. They will take you to the beach.

I am planning my next trip back, probably on the new Bahamas Celebration as my birthday is in 2 weeks, and I really want to go back to Nassau. HMMM... maybe I should tell my boyfriend and let HIM pay for it.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.