Taking alcohol in carry on luggage

Jerlyn

Has anyone taken booze in plastic water bottles and have a problem checking in at the airport if it is in a carry on? Or does everyone (that takes a little extra) put it in their check in luggage.

Thanks for you advice.

I was just reading about this on the Southwest site. I was going to bring my platapus portable bar which has four plastic containers. However, Southwest required all liquor to be in the original packaging, so I've decided to leave it at home and buy a bottle on board ship.

The way checked baggage is handled I wouldn't risk having a suitcase drenched in liquid...put it a carry on bag,no problems. Same goes for anything expensive like jewelry or electronics,it can't be stolen if it's in your possession at all times.

Oh yes Cruise 182, that is kinda funny :D but very handy when traveling with folks that drink different things.

It's four 250 mil plastic flasks so allows you to take a little bit of this and that. The whole thing is only about 6 inches by 6 inches and 3 inches deep so doesn't take up much room. The problem is you're not allowed to carry it on board most planes because the liquor isn't in it's original container and if I put it in my checked luggage, it may set off the TSA alarms. So unless I'm doing a land trip, it's not very handy.

I don't know about luggage on the airplane, but I do know that there was a problem recently at the pier. Some passengers had some red wine in there luggage that the porters brought off the ship. They broke and there luggage and some other passengers luggage was stained with red wine. Ugh!!

Oh yes Cruise 182, that is kinda funny :D but very handy when traveling with folks that drink different things.

It's four 250 mil plastic flasks so allows you to take a little bit of this and that. The whole thing is only about 6 inches by 6 inches and 3 inches deep so doesn't take up much room. The problem is you're not allowed to carry it on board most planes because the liquor isn't in it's original container and if I put it in my checked luggage, it may set off the TSA alarms. So unless I'm doing a land trip, it's not very handy.

I hope I did not offend!! Not ment to..

Come on folks, it was a simple question, get over it or get over you. Some people need to know what other cruisers are doing. I know I am not the only one to take a few plastic bottles on board and maybe enjoy a few drinks in my cabin. The question was, can you get throught security with the plastic bottels?????????????????????????????

There is no problem taking liquor in carryon on airplane. We recently took 10 bottles of wine in a rollon. I wrapped them in bubble and just got the grin when I went through security. We were on the way to Grand Cayman and had heard that wine was ridiculously expensive there so took our own. I just made sure that I took no more than was allowed to bring in the country.

We found that buying alcohol in port and bringing it on was no problem. It seemed to us that most poeple were voluntarily giving up their alcohol to the Princess agents, but they weren't mking you do it. After they scan your bags, simply pick them up and keep walking. The NEVER asked us to turn ours in. Just my opinion, but it seemed that they didn't mind since most poeple were volunteering theirs...

If you go to the Princess website, click on the Onboard tab and then click on send a gift, you can see the prices of liquor and wine that can be ordered before you get on board. You can also order from room service as soon as you are in your room. It may be a little cheaper if you order from room service rather then sending yourself a gift.

Me,Never. You could have a problem but it depends on how potent your booze is and if they find it. If you get an Otis Campbell type TSA agent they may take it. :D From the Tsa. Transporting Alcoholic Beverages

Alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, are prohibited from carry-on and checked luggage. Up to 5 liters of alcohol with alcoholic content between 24% and 70% are allowed per person as carry-on or checked luggage if packaged in its retail container. Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcoholic content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

Please check with your airline for any further restrictions. :mad:

Buy it when you land. There are so many places to stop on the way to the ship in Fll.

Steve

When embarking no-one asks if you are carrying any alcohol but when you come ashore at ports they ask. I've said wine and another time beer and they said that's fine. I saw people volunteering their hard liquor but I don't think there would have been a problem if you had just said "no" and carried on.

Three years ago when my S-I-L checked into Islip for her flight to FLL she had 4 plastic containers of assorted booze in her hand luggage. The TSA examiner questioned what they were. When she told him he stated that according to regulations they had to verify that they were what she claimed and not explosive materials of some kind. He then instructed her she had to take a swig out of every bottle to prove to him it was what she claimed it was. Needless to say she flew pretty high all the way to FLL. :eek: From that point on she has placed them in plastic bags, wrapped them well in bubble wrap and carried them in her checked luggage with no problem.

In the past DH and I always took a bottle of Harveys to share as coffee cream out on the connecting balconys (4 in total) with our traveling mates. That same year Princess confiscated our bottle to be returned the last day. The next year, since TSA advised unopened bottles in hand luggage was no problem and following S-I-Ls 'drunk' I started carrying an unopened bottle of Harveys in hand luggage along with an empty plastic container. Once we reached FLL I transfered the contents to the plastic bottle that went through Princess scanning with no problem. Last year I finally got just a tad bit smarted and just started ording it from Princess. The prices are actually a little less than what I was paying here at home and it is sooooo much less trouble.

We actually do have a portable bar. It looks like a small suitcase, holds 2 litres of liquor and comes with 4 glasses and some tools for mixing. It was a gift from someone or other, and we often take it on a car trip, especially when traveling with friends. We've never taken it along on a cruise, however. We always seem to have too much to carry anyway, and we've had good luck with ordering liquor from room service on our Princess cruises -- it's always been cheaper than what we would pay here in Massachusetts. The only problem, of course, would be if Princess didn't offer the brands we like,. but that hasn't been the case so far -- thank goodness!

Thank you for your hints and answers.

Have a happy Monday ;)

Leave room in your carry on (roller) bag. Do some shopping on the way to port, pack it in your carry-on and wheel it on the ship. They do X-ray them, see the bottles, but have never asked me to turn them in. (knock on wood) I've done it on every cruise (4). As recently as the 10/10/04 Golden cruise. However, if you have those duty free cardboard cases for your booze that you hand carry, they will ask for those. Just don't act dumb:p .

I wouldn't risk putting it in checked luggage. I've had small after-shave bottles leak, I could imagine the damage a quart could do!

You can replenish your stash from each port. I take a small backpack, get a few beers, or small bottle of booze and just bring it back on the ship. Again, they X-ray, see the bottles, but have never asked me about it. I'm not totally cheap, we buy a lot of the foo-foo drinks, and have a large bill at the end of the cruise. I like Heineken, and they don't sell it on the Golden.:rolleyes:

-Dave

Has anyone taken booze in plastic water bottles and have a problem checking in at the airport if it is in a carry on? Or does everyone (that takes a little extra) put it in their check in luggage.

Thanks for you advice.

Why? :confused:

Bringing booze to a bar is beyond me. Number one it's against the policies of the cruise line and you agreed to their policies when you booked passage.

Number two is why compromise the contents of your luggage with a possible spill or breakage?

Number three is that you can pre-purchase liquor and have it delivered to your cabin the afternoon of your embarkation at a cost that is minimally above what you might be paying for the stuff you are smuggling. If that doesn't appeal you can order from room service at a great price and they'll deliver to your cabin.

It doesn't make sense to trip over the dollar bills to save a couple of pennies. You spend a lot of money to be on a ship and then you want to save a couple of bucks to ignore the rules. Anything to cheat the system sounds like one of the political parties trying for a win.

They do not carry my choice of beverage Number 1

You are allowed to bring wine and beer Number 2

Keep on smiling :) Number 3

Number 1.1.2 Yeah, I know the choices offered for pre-cruise ordering are limited, but we could always find something to order that would work. The option mentioned before is to use the room service list or purchasing it from the bar. The prices are the same in either case and I would be surprised if they didn't have what you were looking for.

Number 2.1.2 Yes you are allowed to bring beer and wine aboard. My "policy" comments were related to bringing liquor aboard which is what I suspected you were trying to do in a clear plastic bottle. Wouldn't think you would repackage a find Bourdeax in Tupperware or try to change the "Born On" date of your favorite suds by filling old milk jugs.

Number 3.1.2 I will always be smiling regardless of what you decide to do. I only offer appropriate alternatives.

They do not carry my choice of beverage Number 1

You are allowed to bring wine and beer Number 2

Keep on smiling :) Number 3

Great post, great attitude, Jerlyn!;)

Question:

Does Princess actually allow an individual to carry-on BEER?

On past cruises, I've "carried on" about a case of wine/champagne, while we CHECK a couple cases of beer in our hard-sided luggage.

It would be great to carry-on the beer!

Archived