Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old March 31st, 2009, 06:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Have you been pranked on april fool's day?

There must have been some pranks pulled on ships over the years - the easiest one I recall is the "Day of the Week" mats in the elevators being changed around so each one had a different day.

Does anyone else know of any other pranks pulled by captains, cruise directors, staff, fellow passengers? Or, do you have any ideas?

Just asking out of interest's sake

Old March 31st, 2009, 07:51 AM
10,000+ Club

I've never sailed over April Fool's Day. I think the switched mat idea is cute. That had to shake up some brain cells!

I can't think of much else a ship captain or staff could do without risking lots of trouble. They could say a port was offering free excursions, or that Jay Leno was coming aboard at the next port to do a show ... but when some pax learned it was just a prank they might not find humor in it and scream bloody murder.

Old March 31st, 2009, 08:59 AM
50,000+ Club

Believe it or not -- with all the cruises we have taken -- I can't remember ever having sailed around April Fool's day.

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Don't know that it happened on April Fool's Day, but for anyone sailing this week and monitoring what is going on here at Cruise Critic, I'll share a story I enjoyed of pranksters.

A couple of years ago 2 teenage kids were bored on one of the HAL ships (don't remember which one) and so they liberated the future cruise consultant's desk and a couple of chairs and loaded them in an elevator and then rode up and down and when folks attempted to board, the boys would ask if they had a reservation.

Sounds like great fun to this 61 year old kid. *L*

Old March 31st, 2009, 09:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmike View Post
Don't know that it happened on April Fool's Day, but for anyone sailing this week and monitoring what is going on here at Cruise Critic, I'll share a story I enjoyed of pranksters.

A couple of years ago 2 teenage kids were bored on one of the HAL ships (don't remember which one) and so they liberated the future cruise consultant's desk and a couple of chairs and loaded them in an elevator and then rode up and down and when folks attempted to board, the boys would ask if they had a reservation.

Sounds like great fun to this 61 year old kid. *L*
this is the kind of thing I was after! Fun, mostly harmless pranks.
I remember one cruise (just a regular, not april fools or anything) a kid about 9 stood himself in an elevator and politely asked everyone who got in what deck they needed and pushed the button for them. With the tips he pulled in, he took a date (a girl from the kids program he'd met earlier in the cruise) to the Pinnacle, paid for the meal for 2, some soda etc... quite a smooth little operator.

Why did I never think of anything like that when I was 9 - let alone 16!

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Amsterdam a couple of years ago, on the Hawai'i cruise, when there appeared in the Daily Program:

April 1
12 Noon
Dolphins Released for Showtime
Lower Prom Deck, Starboard

After thinking about what this might be, it dawned . . . April Fool's Day! When asked, the cruise director said that they had 3 dolphins somewhere below deck who would perform when released into the ocean. Everybody was out there at noon--those who fell for it and those who wanted pictures of those who fell for it.

Noon came and went--no dolphins of course; I don't remember what the Cruise Director actually said at noon. Everybody had a good laugh

Old March 31st, 2009, 01:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have done two April fool cruises (both on RCCL). One scheduled event was for the guests to take a private tour of the ships dairy to see the cows. We were not fooled, but it was fun to watch people assemble in the lobby.

Old April 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM
Cruise Critic Host

We were "pranked" a few years back on a Seabourn transatlantic repositioning cruise. The Capt. announced that we were stopping at the small Island of Lirpasnar. He indicated that at 1 PM, anyone wanting to go to the island would have to meet on deck with life jackets, as a zodiak would need to be used to get there. We knew it was a joke (Lirpasnar is "rans april" backwards). We went to the skybar and watched the poor fools who arrived with lifejackets!

Host Dan

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

Old April 1st, 2009, 04:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

I was brutally "pranked."

It wasn't on a ship but it is boat-related:

My wife woke me up one April 1 morning and said that Ray, vice commodore of our yacht club, had called to report my sailboat had fallen off its storage cradle.

I couldn't have jumped out of bed faster if I'd been shocked by electricity!

Fortunately, before I went into cardiac arrest, she laughed and said: "April Fool!"

I'm still getting revenge after all these years: I no longer have a boat but she still has to put up with me - and must rue the day!

Last edited by TedC; April 1st, 2009 at 04:39 PM.

Old April 1st, 2009, 05:10 PM
30,000+ Club

Thumbs up

That's funny, Ted. And what's really funny is that of the two of you, I would have expected you to come up with the prank.
It's always the quiet ones, isn't it.

Santa baby, just slip some chocolate under the tree---for me

Old April 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

Hi Ruth,

I think Cathy was getting back at me for our first Xmas many years ago when I said we didn't need a tree because we were going to my folks Xmas Eve and her folks Xmas Day. But, bowing to her wishes, I went out and bought a tree.

The people downstairs had cut the top off their tree and left the cutting outside. I left our tree outside and took the 14-inch top from their tree up to our apartment - it was perfectly shaped.

Cathy burst into tears when she saw the tiny tree. I felt very guilty and assured her we had a regular tree and ran down to get it.

It was a Merry Christmas after all.

Last edited by TedC; April 1st, 2009 at 05:59 PM.

Old April 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM
5,000+ Club

A prankster called the front desk and identified himself as a communications officer. He said he needed to blow some dust out of the phone line and asked the desk clerk if she would kindly hold the phone over the waste basket so the dust would not get on the counter. She complied and those of us at the counter got a big laugh. She was a good sport about it !!!

Old April 1st, 2009, 10:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Dan View Post
We were "pranked" a few years back on a Seabourn transatlantic repositioning cruise. The Capt. announced that we were stopping at the small Island of Lirpasnar. He indicated that at 1 PM, anyone wanting to go to the island would have to meet on deck with life jackets, as a zodiak would need to be used to get there. We knew it was a joke (Lirpasnar is "rans april" backwards). We went to the skybar and watched the poor fools who arrived with lifejackets!

Host Dan
Love it!

Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default April Fool's Day -- QE2

This message was posted in the Daily Programme on April 1 last year on QE2: "During your stay onboard you may see one of your fellow guests with a rather large cat. The cat is called Snowball and it is one of the world's heaviest cats at just over 97 lbs. His owner, Egyptian born Mr. Itzerfake, is with Snowball and has said please feel free to take photos of his cat and stroke him as he is extremely loveable and friendly. Snowball will be on the open decks between 10:00 and 11:00 a.m." Of course I, along with many others, searched for the non-existent kitty. Finally caught on. The clue to the joke is the cat owner's name.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:54 AM
10,000+ Club

Default Does it count if I thought it was a prank and it wasn't?

I have been looking forward to booking the Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage for months now - I followed the PR, investigated the itineraries, lowered my expectations for an affordable cabin, put money aside for the flat 25% deposit that Cunard charge and directed my TA weeks ago to get on the phone and book me on April 1st as soon as Cunard started taking bookings...

...I came into my office this morning and saw an e-mail from my TA - so I picked up the phone and dialed her number as I started pulling out my credit card when she answered the phone by asking if I was sitting down. She then proceeded to tell me that when she called Cunard's offices in California as soon as they opened, they informed her that Queen Elizabeth sold out less than an hour after the offices in England started taking deposits this morning. So she inquired for the waitlist and was informed that my name was number 774 in line for a stateroom - any available category - and I'd keep that spot if I placed a $500 deposit today.

All I could do was laugh and cross that cruise off my list.

Oosterdam Feb '04 RSVP Western Caribbean; Amsterdam Sept '04 Alaska - Glacier Bay; MSC Opera Feb '05 Eastern Caribbean; Oosterdam Sept '05 RSVP Alaska - Hubbard Glacier; Noordam Inaugural Feb '06 Caribbean; X/Mercury May '06 - (the 2/11ths cruise); Noordam Jan '07 Caribbean - The CC Reunion Cruise; Volendam Nov '07 - Panama Canal Seafarer; Eurodam Prelude & Inaugural - July '08 Rotterdam-Copenhagen, Norwegian Fjords/British Isles; Noordam Jan '09 Caribbean: "Voyage of the Good Nuts"; Ryndam Sept '09 Southbound Alaska Cruisetour; Zaandam March '10 Circle Hawaii "Voyage of the Macadamia Nuts"; Noordam Feb '11 Southern Caribbean "The Wedding"; Eurodam, December '11 Eastern Caribbean; Queen Elizabeth, Jan '13 - Westbound Panama Canal, Grand Princess, Feb '14 - Hawaii

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
5,000+ Club

We were on a South American cruise in 2002 on the Ryndam and the captain announced we were lucky enough to see a rare eclipse at 1:00 PM. However, we must go to the front desk to get the proper equipment to view the eclipse. Such long lines! And everyone was on deck with cameras, small hand-held to large professional types. There were many phone calls back and forth from the crew to "Colorado" because there seemed to be a problem with viewing the eclipse. The phone calls were put on mikes so we could hear them talking with each other and sounding very confused as to what was happening. This prank went on for a good 1/2 hour before the CD and crew 'fessed up. Everyone roared laughing and had great fun!

Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepsf View Post
...I came into my office this morning and saw an e-mail from my TA - so I picked up the phone and dialed her number as I started pulling out my credit card when she answered the phone by asking if I was sitting down. She then proceeded to tell me that when she called Cunard's offices in California as soon as they opened, they informed her that Queen Elizabeth sold out less than an hour after the offices in England started taking deposits this morning.
Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage Sells Out Faster than QE2 Final Voyage

Fastest Selling Voyage in Cunard Line History The October 2010 Maiden Voyage for Cunard’s new ocean liner Queen Elizabeth, which was placed on worldwide sale to past guests at 8:00 a.m. today, sold out in a record 29 minutes – easily making this the fastest selling voyage in Cunard’s 170-year history. In fact, this voyage sold out quicker involving more guests than QE2’s Final Voyage when it set a previous Cunard sell-out record of 36 minutes in June 2007.

More than half of Queen Elizabeth’s remaining Maiden Season, comprising six voyages from October to December 2010, was sold within the first two hours.

“This is an impressive record set by what will be an impressive ship and speaks volumes about the Cunard brand as well as for the resilience of the cruise sector as a whole in these challenging times,” said Carol Marlow, president and managing director of Cunard Line. “It is also very encouraging to see the level of interest in Queen Elizabeth coming from all our international markets, with bookings in the UK, US and Germany particularly strong. I urge our travel partners and those guests who have not yet booked to move fast in order to secure their place in history on Queen Elizabeth during her maiden season,” added Marlow.

http://www.cunard.com/news/default.a...31&Active=News

Future Cruise:
RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8 2015 Western Caribbean
Past Cruises:
RSVP Caribbean Fantasy - Caribbean Princess Feb 2007
RSVP Alaska Gold Rush - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Exotic Caribbean - Zuiderdam Feb 2008
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2009
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2010
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 2012
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2013
RSVP Divina Caribbean - MSC Divina Feb 2014

Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

My teenage son yelled BINGO on the 50th number for the Snowball Jackpot on April Fool's Day. He quickly then said April Fools - most of the poople laughed or clapped and were good sports, but some people got down right nasty towards him. Of course I was laughing so hard I almost feel out of my chair. The entertainment staff also thought it was funny and I'm sure DS was not the first to pull such a prank.

I think pranks that don't hurt peope are all in good fun.

Loved the story about the 9 year old getting tips to take someone to the PG - so cute.

My blog - https://foxyterrier.wordpress.com

Future cruises
Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas - Caribbean - New Years Eve Cruise

Past cruises
Noordam - Lisbon to Rome - 2001
Rymdam - Alaska - 2002
Maasdam - Western Caribbean - 2003
Noordam - Baltics - 2004
Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean - 2005
Noordam - Greek Isles - 2006
Westerdam - Eastern Caribbean - 2007
Oosterdam - Mexican Riveria - 2008
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - 2009
Noordam - Western Caribbean - 2010
Veendam - Bermuda - May 8, 2011
Celebrity Summit - Bermuda - July 8, 2012
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean - March 15, 2013
Queen Mary - New England/Canada - October 15, 2013

Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
5,000+ Club

That is funny! Too bad some people don't have a sense of humor, isn't it?

Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
5,000+ Club

No and I don't believe it is something that adults should do.

Have a great next cruise.
Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib
HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal
RCCL Enchantment 09/02 West Carib
Costa Atlantica 12/02 East Carib
HAL Noordam 03/03 Southern Carib
Golden Princess 07/03 Mediterranean
Celebrity Zenith 12/03 South-West Carib
HAL Maasdam 05/04 East Coast USA - Canada
Island Princess 10/04 Hawaii
RCCL Jewell of the Seas 05/05 Transatlantic Eastbound
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 06/07 East Carib