Wine OK on NCL

Searanger1

We are traveling on the Star (Mexican Riviera) this Friday (Nov. 5). I just talked to one of the NCL reps in Miami about bringing some special wine on board and paying a corkage fee. He put me on hold for quite awhile, but when he came back said that as of yeaterday (Nov. 1) all NCL ships were now allowing personal wine aboard (not on their wine list), and would add a corcage fee to either your cruise fee or your onboard account. I think these guys actually read these messages and, on occasion, actually get the message. No booze though. BTW, this is the first and only internet board I've ever signed up for. I did it because you members have been so helpful and informative and I wanted to thank you for educating me and saving me much money and anxiety. Emi, I know you're enjoying Disneyland, but if you get this mesage, we'll keep your cabin warm.

Actually, I asked if the rep could send me an e-mail confirming what he'd told me. He said the policy was so new, they're still working out the details. I'm happy to be the guinea pig and will report back post-cruise. Also, I know it's a corkage fee and not a corcage fee. So few bottles are now being sealed with a corc.

lol!!! I thought it was a new word for the new type of "cork" many wine bottles now have!!!!!!

Who did you speak with? We heard that our food and bev. manager from the Star last year was now at headquarters...just wondering if it might be him?! Super guy!!!!

At least the NCL wine list is very nice (just went on RCI Splendoour in the Med. and what a pricey and HORRIBLE selection!!!! ). We still love to bring a few special bottles and don't mind the corkage fee a bit~

Thanks for the info!!!

Nanette

Any ideas what the corkage fee is?
For years now, NCL has stated (in Freestyle Dailies) that there's a $10 per bottle corkage fee for any wine not bought from them. I can't think of any good reason why that should change, even if official policy is being relaxed. Clearly there's always been a degree of it going on.

OK, I understand the corkage fee if you carry your bottle of wine to the table. How about if you just have the wine or other booze in your room (I carry a corkscrew everywhere!) or carry a drink from your room to the deck? Are they gonna search your luggage when you go on board?

OK, I understand the corkage fee if you carry your bottle of wine to the table. How about if you just have the wine or other booze in your room (I carry a corkscrew everywhere!) or carry a drink from your room to the deck? Are they gonna search your luggage when you go on board?

All bags are scanned and if found you will be asked to turn in your Booze until the end of the cruise. Lots of threads on the subject

We just ordered our liquor set up for the room with Guest Services. When asked about the new rule change about bringing wine, she said yes, as long as they don't sell it on board. She also said to carry it on, because it isn't safe in the luggage. They will charge our shipboard account a $10 corkage fee upon boarding.

I really just wanted to see my countdown clock.;)

We were on the Sea for the 10/9 sailing from Houston. We packed wine in our checked luggage and had to go and claim the suitcase after all the luggage was delivered. At that point I was required to show the wine (2 bottles), and then the suitcase was released. I was not charged anything at that time, but I also did not bring it to dinner.:)

Happy cruising!

Stac

Hi!!

At sea now on Norwegian Sea:

This is a thread that you should look back after: no booze allowed

better yet they will search your carry ons and luggage checked!

Lots of folks got to visit security on Deck one!

They may even make you open a bottle of liquid and smell or you taste!

That is the way it is!

I got caleld for some IV solution bottle I I was taking to the Roatan Hospital.

Go figure!

Colorado Lad At Sea in The Sea

I just called NCL.. Three times for consistency ... As of November 1 the policy has changed.. As long as the wine isn't on their list you are allowed to bring it on board and pay a 10 dollar corkage fee at boarding...

Now.. I can bring a couple of bottles of Cristal on board for NYE...

NCL every few months posts on this board..... Sounds like they are reading and listening to us

I just called NCL.. Three times for consistency ... As of November 1 the policy has changed.. As long as the wine isn't on their list you are allowed to bring it on board and pay a 10 dollar corkage fee at boarding...

Now.. I can bring a couple of bottles of Cristal on board for NYE...

NCL every few months posts on this board..... Sounds like they are reading and listening to us

I would check. The current web list http://www.ncl.com/download/faxback/4800.pdf does not include Cristal but I believe it was on the wine list last summer on the Sun.

They had Dom P on the wine list... but not Cristal...

Cristal= 115 at a good price Cristal = 290 on a cruise ship...

I'll pay 115 for a special event.. but not 290

You're going to pay much more for this years special event :D A lifetime of payments :eek:

Good Luck

I am so thrilled to hear this new policy. I enjoy a glass of wine while dressing for dinner. Now I can bring what I like to drink and enjoy as much as I want in my cabin. YEAH!! Thanks for letting us know. Is there a limit on the number of bottles?

10 per bottle.. Thanks for the good luck wishes shoreguy... Now if I could just get a cheap suite upgrade.. everything would be perfect..

Does anyone think this policy is because of us and these discussions on the board? Anyone want to chime in on that?

You're Welcome, I do in fact wish you both the best.

Do I think this board made a difference. I believe it is part of the feedback that caused the change. I have to believe that in addition to CC discussion NCL has received lots of negative feedback to the booze police, other boards, letters, calls, feedback forms.

As I have always said it is the abuse that forced the cruiselines to change the rules. Those that carried on a 2 weeks worth of boooze for a 7 day cruise. Carried thier own to the resturants, the bars and the pool area.

I think this simple change respects the passenger and protects the revenue of NCL. It will be nice to bring a bottle or two of the 94 Silver Oak to enjoy with a filet in the Bistro :cool:

Does anyone think this policy is because of us and these discussions on the board? Anyone want to chime in on that?

Possibly had something to do with it, but this issue has been out there for a long time. I'm sure they got plenty of comments from feedback after cruises, letters, calls, etc. Keep in mind that this cruise forum only represents a relatively small subset of cruisers. :rolleyes:

I will assume then that if one packs a favorite wine in carry on luggage NCL will be there with a wine list to check yours with what they offer. If yours is not on the list you get to take it on board. If yours is on the list then they confiscate it.

Wondering if there will be separate lines for this? Wondering if "boxed wine" will be allowed. Our favorite is "Franzia". It's an inexpensive "boxed wine". I did not see it on their list. I like to order different wines at diner so it's not like they are losing money on me. We save our "boxed wine" for a before dinner drink and that's about the extent of any drinking we do. Oh I forgot, I do order "foo foo" drinks by the pool now and then too. ;)

We just ordered our liquor set up for the room with Guest Services. When asked about the new rule change about bringing wine, she said yes, as long as they don't sell it on board. She also said to carry it on, because it isn't safe in the luggage. They will charge our shipboard account a $10 corkage fee upon boarding.

I really just wanted to see my countdown clock.;)

Hi. Is there a list somewhere of what alcohol you can purchase for the room set up and prices? Thanks.

Juanita56

To make sure the wine you bring on is not on the list: just buy 2 buck Chuck!LOL

I am really happy the rules are being relaxed. This has been one of my few gripes about NCL. Celebrtiy was pretty strict last year as well, but not quite so bad. They charged $15 cockage, but that was at the table so if you got wine to your room and had a cock screw you didn't have that fee. It sounds like NCL will be charging it when you board. That's still better than $20 per bottle.

NMnita

Archived