Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old April 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Man Goes Overboard on Bahamas Cruise

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Man Goes Overboard on Bahamas Cruise

Read the entire news article...

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

How hard is it NOT to flip off the side of a ship? Sounds like he fell off a room balcony. That had to be a concerted effort. Guessing foul play and/or alcohol was involved. Sad for the rest of the passengers. Arriving in the Bahamas at 2:45p left little time to visit. Seeing how it was a 3 day cruise, that was probably the only stop they had. Guessing for all those who booked excursions outside of Carnival, they just lost their day and their $$.

Carnival Legend - 6-08-08 through 6-15-08

Carnival Dream - 5-22-10 through 5-29-10, Cove Balcony is the BEST!

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDane View Post
How hard is it NOT to flip off the side of a ship? Sounds like he fell off a room balcony. That had to be a concerted effort. Guessing foul play and/or alcohol was involved. Sad for the rest of the passengers. Arriving in the Bahamas at 2:45p left little time to visit. Seeing how it was a 3 day cruise, that was probably the only stop they had. Guessing for all those who booked excursions outside of Carnival, they just lost their day and their $$.
This is not a Carnival Ship it is NCL
Dawn 3/26/06 Western Caribbean 11 Days
Spirit 11/9/06 Southern Caribbean 10 Days
Crown Princess 5/30/07 Eastern Caribbean 9 Days
Gem 2/6/08 Southern Caribbean 10 Days
Gem 1/4/09 Southern Caribbean 10 Days
Dawn 10/25/09 Bermuda 7 Days
Miracle 4/21/10 Grand Turk,H.M.C.,Nassau 8 Days
Jewel 3/27/11 Florida/Bahamas 7 Days
Miracle 5/6/12 Eastern Caribbean 8 Days

Old April 19th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

having been on this ship, you can't just FALL off, he would have had to be climbing. The railing is 4 1/2 feet high on the balconies.

Old April 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy How sad for everyone on that ship.

Either this man needed help, or he was just being way stupid. Cruise lines need to start telling people the odds of getting picked up if they do "fall" off the ship. Also the need to tell people how they will ruin the vacations of about 2,000 other people. Also this will cause great stress to their families at home. This could be done at boat drill.

"We at ABC cruise line are very concerned about the safety of our passengers and crew. Please be concerned about your safety as well. Never climb on any of the ships railings, do not drink to excess. If you happen to go over there is less than 50 % chance that we will be able to find you. A slow painful death at sea could result. This will cause the ship to try and find you which could cause 2,000 + people who worked hard and saved to go on this possible once in a lifetime trip to miss out on precious port time, or miss flights home. Please be careful and not selfish. Think of the stress this could cause your family, friends, and business contacts at home."

Tom in Long Beach

Twenty seven
Carnival Magic Gala & 6 Day , Thanks P.K.
11/13/2011

Twenty six
Carnival Spirit 6 day double Cabo, 01/03/2011

Twenty five
QM2, two for one Westbound Atlantic Crossing
10/19/2010

Twenty four
04/30/2010 CARNIVAL ELATION Panama Canal
15 days

Twenty-three 01/07/2010 CARNIVAL DESTINY (Key West to see the 5 toed Cats)

Twenty-two 12/07/2009 Dirt cheap Cruise # 2 CARNIVAL ELATION 4 DAY

Twenty-one 11/13/09 CARNIVAL DREAM CRUISE TO NOWHERE

Twenty 10/12/09 CARNIVAL PARADISE
dirt cheap quick get away.

Nineteen 08/09 CARNIVAL SPIRIT (ALASKA) aft wrap suite
(cause my honey is worth it)

Eighteen 03/24/09 CARNIVAL SPENDOR CRUISE TO NOWHERE !! Thanks P.K.

Seventeen 01/02/09 PARADISE
(working my way to Platinum in a 1a)
Cruise with Uncle John

Sixteen 03/23/08 CARNIVAL PRIDE 7 day
Fifteen 01/03/08 ELATION 4 day
Fourteen 08/26/07 Queen Elizabeth 2 (5 day)
Thirteen04/07 4 day Paradise
Twelve 02/06 QM2 11 day Hawaii
Eleven02/06 QM2 3 day meeting of the Queens
Ten 01/06 QE2 Trans-Atlantic
Nine 01/05 Regal Empress 2 day
Eight 05/04 QM2 8 day Carib. from N.Y.
Seven 04/04 Monarch of the Seas 4 day Mexico
2000 to present waiter on the Queen Mary.
Six 11/99 S.S. Norway 7 day Carib.
Five 10/98 Rembrandt (ex Rotterdam) 13 day Trans-At.
1996-97 Titanic Movie ( as model maker)
Four 11/95 Holiday 3 day Mexico
Three 04/95 S.S. Rotterdam 14 day World Cruise segment
Two 04/92 S.S. Rotterdam 8 day to Hawaii
1988-1989 waiter on the Queen Mary
One 09/79 Sun Princess 3 day party cruise

Old April 20th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwinston View Post
... Cruise lines need to start telling people the odds of getting picked up if they do "fall" off the ship. Also the need to tell people how they will ruin the vacations of about 2,000 other people. ...

"...This will cause the ship to try and find you which could cause 2,000 + people who worked hard and saved to go on this possible once in a lifetime trip to miss out on precious port time, or miss flights home. Please be careful and not selfish. Think of the stress this could cause your family, friends, and business contacts at home."
Do you honestly think someone contemplating suicide, or a drunk passenger for that matter, is really concerned about the 2,000 other passengers on board?

September 2014 - Princess Sapphire - 17-day Grand Asia

Last edited by taxmantoo; April 20th, 2009 at 12:20 PM.

Old April 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

How can you all be so callous? The fact that it may have been a preventable course of events does not eliminate the fact that a human being has probably lost his life. That was someone's son, someone's friend, perhaps a husband, father or brother... and you guys are talking about lost excursions?

Am I missing something here?

PAST CRUISES:
RCI-Brilliance of the Seas, 2011
RCI-Oasis of the Seas, 2010
RCI-Liberty of the Seas, 2009
Disney Magic, 2007
Disney Magic, 2005
Disney Magic, 1999
RCI-Majesty of the Seas, 1996
Carnival Cruise Lines, 1993
Greek Islands Cruise, 1983
RCI-Song of Norway, 1978

Old April 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahornb View Post
How can you all be so callous? The fact that it may have been a preventable course of events does not eliminate the fact that a human being has probably lost his life. That was someone's son, someone's friend, perhaps a husband, father or brother... and you guys are talking about lost excursions?

I don't think anyone is being callous, and you do bring up a good point that this is a human life involved. But the point of the other people on here is that these ships are built so that it takes "extreme" effort for anyone to go overboard. Given that it is not possible to simply "fall" over, without either your own doing or the help of someone else, I have to agree that I don't always feel sorry for the individual (unless they are a victim of foul play). If you do stupid things, what do you expect to happen?!

Old April 20th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilestone75 View Post
I don't think anyone is being callous, and you do bring up a good point that this is a human life involved. But the point of the other people on here is that these ships are built so that it takes "extreme" effort for anyone to go overboard. Given that it is not possible to simply "fall" over, without either your own doing or the help of someone else, I have to agree that I don't always feel sorry for the individual (unless they are a victim of foul play). If you do stupid things, what do you expect to happen?!
I hear what you're saying, and everyone's right that you don't just "fall" off these ships. I guess I just wanted to read some acknowledgment of the tragedy of the situation.

I suppose I must confess something in an effort of full disclosure. Remember the young girl who went missing in Aruba after bar hopping with strangers? I admit that I often comment on how she appeared to have put herself in harm's way. I indeed referred to her actions as "stupid" on more than one occasion. I would however like to think that I also retained some respect for that fact that a life was taken too soon.

Anyway, I'm really sad that someone has died at sea, on vacation, but I'm not lost on the fact that it was most likely the result of his own actions.

PAST CRUISES:
Disney Magic, 2007
Disney Magic, 2005
Disney Magic, 1999
RCI-Song of Norway, 1978

Old April 20th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

do we have an update whether the fellow has been picked up?

lately, more so than befor there are more killings and suicides..
perhaps the failing economy has impacted these individual s so
much that they just want to end it all..

Old April 20th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey all,

Please remember that these "stupid" people have family and friends and no matter what they did, it shouldn't cost them their life.

This time, that person happened to be my friend.

Old April 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan Cruiser View Post
Hey all,

Please remember that these "stupid" people have family and friends and no matter what they did, it shouldn't cost them their life.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Admiral Cruiselines 1989
Nordic Empress 07/97 (Sis & BIL)
Grandeur 03/04/02 (Wedding/Honeymoon Cruise)
Majesty 08/16/02
Monarch 02/27/03
Sovereign 11/28/03 (Worst.Cruise.Ever.)
Vision 04/25/04
Sensation 01/01/05 (1st Carnival Cruise & ATL BFs Cruise)
Miracle 09/11/05
Imagination 03/26/07
Inspiration 06/28/07 (Girls Only)
Victory 03/30/08
Inspiration 08/21/08 (FL BFs Cruise)
Liberty 05/09/09 (Mother's Day & FL BFs Cruise)
Inspiration 09/07/09 (Surprise cruise for in-laws)
Inspiration 06/24/10 (FL BFs Cruise)
Victory 09/26/10 (10th Carnival Cruise!! & ATL BFs Cruise)
Freedom 08/27/11 (FL & ATL BFF Cruise)
Paradise 02/16/2012 (Girls Only)
Freedom 8/25/12 (10th Anniversary with FL BFs)

Old April 20th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

He will be greatly missed by his friends and family. He was brilliant and a loving human being. A bright candle glows in heaven. Shame on anyone who makes these idiotic and self-centered comments. And to the person who called him a name, may God have mercy on your soul. You are a total low life.

Old April 20th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapper123 View Post
He will be greatly missed by his friends and family. He was brilliant and a loving human being. A bright candle glows in heaven. Shame on anyone who makes these idiotic and self-centered comments. And to the person who called him a name, may God have mercy on your soul. You are a total low life.

Careful now.... Low life is calling someone a name.
I think sometimes comments on these boards are taken the wrong way. Sometimes we right away think someone is commenting with a negative tone. Its sad how defensive mankind can be when in reality, someone was just stating an opinion

Last edited by paradiseseekers; April 20th, 2009 at 08:14 PM.

Old April 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up We were on the Monarch of the Seas

When DH and I awoke Saturday morning, we turned on the bow camera channel, and saw what appeared to be a cargo ship in the near distance. We were very surprised as we expected to be having either a day at sea if the high wind forecast from the previous evening was correct, or our scheduled stop in CocoCay. We then peeked out our porthole, and saw a NCL ship...very, very close.

We then cleaned up and got dressed, and were ready to head out to see if we could find out what was going on, and get some breakfast. Just as we prepared to leave the cabin, there was a knock. My FIL, Dick, was cruising with us, and had been up since the crack of dawn. He told us that there had been a person overboard on NCL, and that the Monarch was part of the search. He had spent awhile on the top deck, looking for the missing person. According to him, there were many cuisers, all over the ship, searching the waves. We also spent quite some time scanning the surface from the Promenade deck (I don't do sun very well).

I'm not sure exactly what time, but Captain Karin announced that the Monarch was released from the search, and we were going to be proceeding to Nassau, where we had requested an earlier berthing time.

There were several announcements over the PA about the search - we missed the early ones by being asleep. As our call at CocoCay was canceled, we had a revised daily program. There was a Q&A session with Captain Karin and another officer, and I stopped by for a few minutes on the way to the cabin.

Of course, the question was asked if the person overboard had been found, and unfortunately, the answer was no. According to Captain Karin (filtered through my memory, so take with a grain of salt): Early in the morning, the Monarch received word of a person overboard, and the Monarch joined and participated in the search for several hours. Thre were several ships in the area, including two NCL ships. One of the passengers remarked that some of the ships were very close together, and Captain Karin agreed that the search pattern brought ships a bit closer than the officers would prefer under normal conditions.

On Sunday, we attended the Platinum/Diamond party, and Captain Karin told us that the person had not yet been found, and the search had been discontinued.

I thought that Captain Karin and the officers, staff and crew of the Monarch did an outstanding job keeping us informed of the developments with both the search for the lost passenger, and our revised scheduling.

I just wish they had been able to report a successful rescue.

SoxFanCruiser - sorry for your loss.

Wendy

Last edited by w&k; April 20th, 2009 at 08:15 PM.

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahornb View Post

My original post on this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox Fan Cruiser View Post
Hey all,

Sox Fan Cruiser,
I am so sorry for your loss.

PAST CRUISES:
Disney Magic, 2007
Disney Magic, 2005
Disney Magic, 1999
RCI-Song of Norway, 1978

Old April 21st, 2009, 08:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks to all for your kind words. A special thanks to w&K. You story brought tears to my eyes but I thank you and everyone else for trying to do something, anything.