Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Hawaii

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 26th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Overnight parking at Kahului and Nawiliwili

I am traveling with my 84 year old mom and 3 sisters. We plan on renting a car.I was wondering if there is overnight parking at Kahului and Nawiliwili or will I need to return the car for each day? Also, if there is parking at the pier, what is the fee? Also, does anyone reccommend lu'aus at either of thes ports? Thanks so much for any help with renting cars at ports for the Pride of America.

Old April 27th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Perfect question as we, too, are wondering about the parking when in port?

I have heard the parking in Kahului is tight and to be back early to ensure you get a stall... but how early is early?

Thanks in advance!

Old April 27th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

We just got back today and we parked at the pier at Kahului around 5:30pm and there were still quite a few spots left open.

Old April 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by t501tx View Post
We just got back today and we parked at the pier at Kahului around 5:30pm and there were still quite a few spots left open.
Do you know of a "Plan B" if all the spots are gone? The parking thing is bugging me too.

Thanks for your help.

Old April 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just returned and can answer your questions about parking. In Maui, we returned the first night about 7:30pm. All the spots were gone in the parking lot as well as along the sea wall. There is a security office upon entering the terminal and they directed us and many other cars on where to park. We parked up the road a bit in an industrial area. Not a far walk at all. They also parked cars in another area but those drivers were told they had to move their car by 7am. Parking was free here.

In Kauai, there is a lot about a three minute walk from the terminal. They charged $20 for the night.

If you are renting cars and taking a shuttle from the terminal, the shuttle drivers do a good job of telling/showing you where to park.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 4 of Us View Post
We just returned and can answer your questions about parking. In Maui, we returned the first night about 7:30pm. All the spots were gone in the parking lot as well as along the sea wall. There is a security office upon entering the terminal and they directed us and many other cars on where to park. We parked up the road a bit in an industrial area. Not a far walk at all. They also parked cars in another area but those drivers were told they had to move their car by 7am. Parking was free here.

In Kauai, there is a lot about a three minute walk from the terminal. They charged $20 for the night.

If you are renting cars and taking a shuttle from the terminal, the shuttle drivers do a good job of telling/showing you where to park.
Thank you!! This is perfect, excellent information! I really appreciate it.

2 Night Cruise to nowhere--NCL Jewel 2/13
Hawaii - Norwegian Pride of America 7/11
1 Day cruise to nowhere - Norwegian Spirit 10/07
1 Day Cruise to nowhere - Freedom of the Seas (prior to inaugural sailing) 5/06
Western Caribbean - Legend of the Seas 11/05
Bahamas - Disney Wonder 8/01
Bermuda - Celebrity Zenith 8/99

Old April 27th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you so much for the information...

Hope you had a great trip. We leave in 9 days and so excited

Old April 28th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Aloha WILLSTER!!!!******
Come join us on the May 9th Roll Call. Other passengers from this cruise have gathered together and are chatting away. We'd love for you to join in. Go to Boards....Roll Call.....Norwegian......Find our thread. See you there!!

Old April 28th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just returned too from Hawaii and would recommend that you reserve a car in advance and not wait until you get to the port. In Kauai for example, I heard several people saying such and such rental company had no cars available (it was about 8:30am at that point).
I went with Hertz 4 times during this trip and never waited more than 2 min at the counter to get my car and was upgraded from full size to SUV or premium every time (with a coupon from AAA), which was nice. I also noticed that the Hertz shuttle was always less busy than Thrifty's or Alamo's. Not sure about Budget/Avis. I know Hertz was more expensive for me, but in the end it was worth it.
We also rented a full size van (12 people) from Dollar in Maui, and it was a fairly recent van with ~7000 miles on it. As far as I know only Dollar and Thrifty have those. It worked well for us, and parking at the beach, stores,e etc... was never a problem. As somebody else mentioned, the overnight parking in Maui is full at the port after ~7:30pm. That night, we got one of the last spaces on the sea wall (the overflow parking lot) and it was raining pretty hard too...

Old April 28th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bamboo View Post
Aloha WILLSTER!!!!******
Come join us on the May 9th Roll Call. Other passengers from this cruise have gathered together and are chatting away. We'd love for you to join in. Go to Boards....Roll Call.....Norwegian......Find our thread. See you there!!

Aloha to you...

Thanks for the invite and I just found the Roll Call and posted

So much helpful information...

I'm so excited talking (err, writing about Hawaii) that I am getting jittery

We are behind though, still have some days to plan, etc...
We booked just a little while ago so we aren't as prepared as many of you but don't doubt that with all the helpful info on this site that it will take long...

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Amanda

Old April 30th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default another option

We also did the overnight parking. In Maui we stayed at one of the resorts for a nice option off the ship to get more of that island feel which was a lot of fun. That way you can park at the resort- and experience Lahaina at night : )
On Kauai we did the $20.00 overnight parking and had no trouble getting there around 7pm- they are very well organized and had security.
RCCL Empress of the Seas - Exotic Caribbean 4/05
NCL Pride of Hawaii- Hawaiian Islands 6/06
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean 4/07
Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean 8/08
Carribbean Princess 3/10
Ruby Princess South. Caribbean 3/11
Carnival Victory 3/14
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 3/15
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2/16