Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old April 29th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Swine Flu Update: Mexico Cruise Compensation Information

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Swine Flu Update: Mexico Cruise Compensation Information

Read the entire news article...

Last edited by Dan Askin; April 30th, 2009 at 09:08 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Carnivals Announcement - Found this on the website

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui..._Advisory.aspx

Old April 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Why Princess is not offering same? Are not they own by the same corporations?

Old April 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

the information seem s a bit incomplete..but, im sure this puts to ease many travelers planning a cruise during this period..

other s, when they first heard of this outbreak of swine flu was hoping something could be done so they could still sail without having to visit
Mexico..

even still with offer s of OBC s, transfering cruise dates, or discount s on
future cruises..these passenger s will be out some compensation..namely
non-refundable air and hotels..and the inconvience of canceling pre and post cruise activities..

i hope CCL and other cruiselines will address these issues as well..

Old April 30th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Shame on you princess!!!!!

SHAME ON YOU PRINCESS!!!!! What you have done is cheated every person who is stuck into sailing on the Sapphire Princess this Saturday! You are completely ripping us off. I literally think you are stealing my money! I paid good money for a Mexican Rivera trip, not to go to ports an hour from my house! That is not what I signed up for. To make matters worse you are being sneaky about this. Docking in Ensanada (mind you no one can get off the boat) just so you can cover your ass and say the ship sailed to Mexico!!! I can't believe this is happening- it is a complete nightmare! Take a hint from you competitors (ones who up until now have ranked below you), and offer us a refund , a credit towards a future cruise, a stupid upgrade,... anything!! I know this situation was out of your hands but it is not out of your hands to have some freaking morals and not take advantage of your loyal costumers! I am completely appalled.

Sara

Old April 30th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Me too!

Hi Sara - I completely agree.

I am so shocked at Princess for this! They could have at least taken us to Costa Rica!

We are also on the Sat sailing, we are coming from the UK! We are also on the NEXT sailing 9th May - which does THE SAME ports of call! We have already travelled extensively in the US and have been So we have spent 2x money, to do the same dull cruise TWICE!!

I had to call Princess in the USA from the UK to find out what was happening at all. No info over here and we fly into LA tomorrow! I spent two half hour calls (got cut off) establishing that no, there was no future cruise credit, yes, it is 100% canx charge, no, here will be no upgrades, no there will be no cabin credit!!

Princess was my favourite cruiseline. WAS....

Old April 30th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I honestly don't think they will be sailing the ships starting May 4th to the Mexico ports. I have received comments when I cancelled our shore excursions from the Riviera of how bad it is down there and I highly doubt it will be all clear by May 4th, I just think they are trying to figure out what ports the ships can do to by then. We had to change our entire cruise since it was all Mexican ports and the ship is now doing all Pacific coastal which is where we live so looks like we will be booking out of San Juan today. Royal treated us great and gave us back our money and offered those that stayed onboard credits, I was so surprised that they did this.

-----------------------

Past Cruises:
Oasis of the Seas - Labadee, Falmouth, Coz - Dec. 2013
Sapphire Princess - Alaska Southbound - Aug. 2012
Sapphire Princess - Alaska Northbound - Aug. 2012
Carnival Miracle -S. Caribbean - Dec. 2011

RCL Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas - Dec. 2011
Crown Princess - NE/Canada/Colonial Coast - Oct. 2010
Caribbean Princess - NE/Canada - Oct. 2009
RCL Adventure of the Seas - S.Caribbean - June 2009
Carnival Imagination - W. Caribbean - Dec. 2008
Crown Princess - S. Caribbean - April 2008
NCL Pearl - S. Caribbean - Nov. 2007
Diamond Princess - Mexican Riviera - March 2007
Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean - Oct. 2006
Caribbean Princess - E. Caribbean - April 2006
Carnival Miracle - W. Caribbean - Dec. 2005
Carnival Destiny - E. Caribbean - June 1998
Star Princess - Alaska - May 1994

Last edited by CrusinAgain; April 30th, 2009 at 01:31 PM.

Old April 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Princess pulls through...

Well, well, well! After swearing up down blind and backwards that pax were not getting anything - even though we are now effectively doing the same cruise twice, as we are staying onthe Sapphire to Vancouver, Princess is now offering 50% future cruise credit (ie: 50% of your current fare, off a future cruise) Not bad! Not bad at all! Thanks Princess....

Old May 1st, 2009, 11:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Advice from my travel agent

I spoke to my travel agent today to finalize plans for our upcoming Alaska cruise w/ Princess. He was late calling me because he was tied up on a FOUR hour conference call trying to sort out his Mexico bookings.

My TA told me that Princess is reluctant to offer compensation, BUT they are giving discounts and even free cruises to those who complain the loudest!
Hope this helps someone.
Happy sails to you!

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default RCL Mariner customers being treated well...

We were booked on the May 24 RCL Mariner of the Seas to Mexico. Our travel agent told us they had changed to ports an hour from our house. We cancelled. RCL and Airmiles were very good; we had full refunds the same day.

Only small complaint about how this was handled: if we had rebooked on RCL, they would give us $100 rebooking incentive. We rebooked on Celebrity [supposedly the same company] so they will not give us the $100.

We feel lucky just to have salvaged our trip at all [with our TA help].
Princess is going to suffer in future bookings if they do not treat their customers well during this difficult time. People have long memories and there are lots of cruise lines to choose from.

Happy, Healthy Cruising, Everyone.

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Carnival did me great!

I am pleased at carnivals reaction to this scare. I had a 5 day booked on fantasy. My cruise director called to advise me of the changes made to my sailing. I just so happened to ask her if there were any cheap cabin up grades available. I had an interior cabin and an exterior cabin with a full picture window had opened up $100 less than I paid for my interior. So I got a window cabin and $100 on-board credit.

Old May 6th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

I live in SF, and on the local news they had a woman from I believe Oakland (about 20- 50 minutes from here depending on traffic) who was on a cruise to Mexico, but her ship stopped here instead. I felt bad for her. Howver, the local economy is getting a bit of a boost from the unexpected visitors, especially the wharf area, and the Embarcadero where a lot of shops and restaurants are. Still if you are expecting fun in the sun, the grey, drizzling SF sky isn't going to do it for you..