Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

View Poll Results: What should cruise lines offer Mexico passengers? (Choose all that apply.)
Easy rebooking options (for those who haven’t sailed yet). 1,083 67.65%
No-penalty cancellation options (for those who haven’t sailed yet). 1,099 68.64%
Shipboard credit (for those who’ve already embarked). 745 46.53%
Open bars onboard (for those who’ve already embarked). 164 10.24%
Full or partial refunds (for those who’ve already embarked). 443 27.67%
Credit toward a future cruise (for those who’ve already embarked). 769 48.03%
None of the above. 100 6.25%
Something else, which I'll post. 44 2.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Cruise Critic Copy & Ports Editor

Default How should lines compensate Mexico travelers?

While many major airlines (Delta, Continental, United, US Airways, American, Aeromexico and Air Canada, among others) have relaxed cancellation policies in response to the swine flu outbreak, Carnival has been the only cruise line -- so far -- to say it will offer rebooking assistance to those affected by canceled port calls in Mexico. While we wait to see if other lines will weigh in with their own offers, we’d like to know: What do you think the cruise lines should do for passengers on affected sailings? Take our poll and be sure to post your opinion!

Last edited by melissa@cruisecritic; April 29th, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Speaking for myself, if I were booked on a Mexican Riviera cruise and the cruiseline elected to offer other ports of call instead of the "usual suspects" then I'd be delighted and wouldn't expect compensation. It's not that I don't like the usual ports of call. It's just that I've seen them all more than once. I'd still book a Mexican cruise, since I like cruising and Mexican Riviera cruises can be cheap and are easy for us to get to, but I don't necessarily care if I don't go ashore at those ports.

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
40,000+ Club

If I was on a cruise that was scheduled to go to Mexico, I would only expect credit for the port charges. I would much rather not go to those ports, whether it meant going to substitute ports or extra sea days.

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd expect substitute ports if available.

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:37 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul929207 View Post
If I was on a cruise that was scheduled to go to Mexico, I would only expect credit for the port charges. I would much rather not go to those ports, whether it meant going to substitute ports or extra sea days.
I totally agree with Paul on this. The cruise contract is there and everyone should read it before booking a cruise. The cruise line is only obligated to return port charges if a port or ports are missed. They are not obligated to provide any other monitary compensation. Especially when it is something that is out of their control. Hurricanes/weather, unsafe ports, or a Pandemic!

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg6530 View Post
I'd expect substitute ports if available.
What substitute ports are available if you are doing the Mexican Riviera? Hawaii?

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

If I had an upcoming cruise, I'd appreciate the option of rebooking at no charge but that then pushes the financial burden on to the cruise lines (sailing with empty cabins).

I'd be a bit grouchy about missing my sun for the rains and cloud of the west coast for instance, but I understand and support the action of avoiding mexican ports for the time being.

Personally I can think of no worse place to introduce an upredictable and unstable virus than a cruise ship.

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What should cruise lines offer passengers?

I am torn on this question. I think that when one cruises they should expect the unexpected, hurricanes, illness, etc. The cruise line is not at fault. I think they do a good job of protecting their customers. Too many people want to be compensated for every little thing that doesn't go their way. Yes, it would be disappointing to have travel changed. But, the ships haven't stopped sailing. I think people should just chill and be thankful they can afford a cruise, enjoy what they get, be happy that they aren't sick, grateful to the cruiseline for trying to protect them and enjoy their vacation.

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are booked for a May 11th, 5 day cruise. I would like a no-penalty cancel policy. I don't want to rebook. My vacation time at work is already set. My cruise was to have 2 Mexican ports. If they substitute a port and a sea day that would be ok but I don't want a cruise to nowhere. If it is going to be a cruise to nowhere I would want to get all my money back and book a vacation somewhere else for those days. While I understand ports can change etc. and would make the best of it if this happened while my cruise was underway, I also think that passengers should be given an option to cancel if told ahead of time. I wouldn't have booked the cruise if it was listed as a cruise to nowhere. What is ironic is that I am closer to confirmed cases and one confirmed death here at home then I would be in Progreso or Cozumel.
Conquest - Jan 29, 2006
Rhapsody - 2005
Rhapsody - 2003
Splendour - 1999

Last edited by Keksie; April 29th, 2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Addition to post

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:42 PM
50,000+ Club

I posted when I came back from the Ike cruise, missed Grand Cayman and got dumped in New Orleans. Only got $20 for missing Grand Cayman, nothing for missing Galveston and got flamed for saying I thought Carnival should have done more to help us, if not some kind of little something for all the stress (believe me the folks on board were inadequate and stressed imo).

I think cruiselines need to step up and do more than $20 for a missed port for good will. I know I will never trust Carnival again. I checked other. I dont care which other, but more than $20 if your whole cruise goes to heck in a hand basket.

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keksie View Post
We are booked for a May 11th, 5 day cruise. I would like a no-penalty cancel policy. I don't want to rebook. My vacation time at work is already set. My cruise was to have 2 Mexican ports. If they substitute a port and a sea day that would be ok but I don't want a cruise to nowhere. If it is going to be a cruise to nowhere I would want to get all my money back and book a vacation somewhere else for those days.
our family is in total agreement. We could settle for one day in port only, but not a cruise to nowhere.
Triumph December 2010
Glory May 2010
Ecstasy May 2009
Liberty September 2008
Spirit May 2007
Conquest May 2006
Conquest June 2004
Victory June 2002
Elation 2000
Paradise 1999
Celebration 1997

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
50,000+ Club

I know it's an inconvenience, and I would HATE to be booked on a warm weather cruise and be shuffled somewhere else....HOWEVER: This is done to PROTECT your health---they should allow you to re-book with no penalty, but I don't see where any other "compensation" should be given. I mean, staying virus-free seems compensation enough!

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am up front and center when it comes to compensation for missed ports, but missing these ports is legitimate.

Right now we are at pandemic phase 4, and its not getting better. Lets hope we don't get to 5.

Smooth sailing...

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

If I were onboard right now, I'd be tickled to death if I were offered a future cruise credit, maybe $50 - 100. As someone who is supposed to board May 4, I would like the option to cancel or rebook penalty-free. I might opt to sail anyway, but I would like the option.

Full refund for those who are on the current cruises? That's going too far, IMHO. Partial refund? Ok, maybe something like $100 - $200/head. Personally, I'd be happy without it but I know others won't.

Caveat: I am notoriously easy to please, and I book cruises on purpose that have few or no ports.
2001 - Celebrity Infinity Maiden Voyage (loved it)
2003 - Carnival Imagination
2004 - HAL Ryndam
2005 - HAL Ryndam, Carnival Conquest (we won it!), HAL Oosterdam
2006 - May - HAL Veendam, Oct.- HAL Oosterdam
2007 - B2B HAL Oosterdam - had to cancel 2 days prior to sailing.
2008 - Zero, zip, nada - can someone please fix the economy? It seems to be broken.
2009 - May - HAL Ryndam - my favorite ship!
2010 - May - HAL Ryndam, Oct - HAL Oosterdam
2011 - May - HAL Westerdam, Oct - HAL Oosterdam Pac Coast/Mex Riviera B2B
2012 - May - Cunard QM2 (Wow!), Oct. 23 HAL Zaandam
2013 - June 2, HAL Oosterdam, Sep. 29, HAL Westerdam

Last edited by fridayeyes; April 29th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think they should only refund port charges for any missed ports.

Why should the cruise line recompense anyone for a situation they had no part in creating?

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would like to see the cruise lines negotiate with airlines for assistance in rebooking flight reservations at no charge. I am currently being offered the option to sail in a different direction with onboard credit, rebook another cruise but pay the difference or receive credit toward a future cruise which I think is very fair given the circumstances; however, I am going to have to pay to rearrange my flights or cancel them altogether as the airlines are only allowing changes for flights to & from Mexico, but not to the cruise departure location.

Old April 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by amunhbuu View Post
What substitute ports are available if you are doing the Mexican Riviera? Hawaii?
That is part of the major issue - the only ports that seem to be alternate ports would be San Diego, Catalina, San Francisco, Seattle......
NONE of which would be comprable to the Mexican Riv.....and also the cruise fares. Taking a cruise to SD/Catalina/Ensenada (technical stop) is a MUCH cheaper cruise than the one that we booked - so the cruiseline, in effect, is profiteering (making an unreasonable profit on the service they are delivering) off of those on these cruise.....for example when hurricanes hit, and people were charging $10 for a small bottle of water, they went to jail for doing things like that. I mean, really, the cost of the fuel alone to go to Catalina/SD/is MUCH lower than what the fuel would cost to go to Mex Riv.

I agree with the cruiselines taking all precautions to keep everyone safe and healthy, I do not agree with them not communicating with their passengers (Princess specifically), and so far, NOT giving their passengers the option to cancel the cruise, or offering a reduction in cruise fare to a more reasonable fare for the cruise we will be getting, rather than the one we paid for.

Old April 29th, 2009, 05:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by world~citizen View Post
I am up front and center when it comes to compensation for missed ports, but missing these ports is legitimate.

Right now we are at pandemic phase 4, and its not getting better. Lets hope we don't get to 5.

Smooth sailing...
I beleive WHO raised it this afternoon to 5.

Old April 29th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

For those with a fondness for dark humor...

This little piggie went to Mazatlan,
This little piggie stayed home,
This little piggie got OBC,
This little piggie had none.

And this litte piggie cried, "Free, Free, Free!" all the way home.
2001 - Celebrity Infinity Maiden Voyage (loved it)
2003 - Carnival Imagination
2004 - HAL Ryndam
2005 - HAL Ryndam, Carnival Conquest (we won it!), HAL Oosterdam
2006 - May - HAL Veendam, Oct.- HAL Oosterdam
2007 - B2B HAL Oosterdam - had to cancel 2 days prior to sailing.
2008 - Zero, zip, nada - can someone please fix the economy? It seems to be broken.
2009 - May - HAL Ryndam - my favorite ship!
2010 - May - HAL Ryndam, Oct - HAL Oosterdam
2011 - May - HAL Westerdam, Oct - HAL Oosterdam Pac Coast/Mex Riviera B2B
2012 - May - Cunard QM2 (Wow!), Oct. 23 HAL Zaandam
2013 - June 2, HAL Oosterdam, Sep. 29, HAL Westerdam

Last edited by fridayeyes; April 29th, 2009 at 05:21 PM.

Old April 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is our frist cruise and we have been planning it for nearly a year. I would be so happy if the would refund us. We are scheduled for G.C. and Cozumel - we know we are not going to M.X. but what about Grand Cayman, can anyone guarantee we will be able to tender? I think not, I've heard that often the Sea is too choppy to make it.

I wish they would refund!