Where do you get cruise updates during hurricane season?

Where do you go [i]first[/i] for cruise updates during hurricane season?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you go [i]first[/i] for cruise updates during hurricane season?

• I go directly to my cruise line's Web site.
    • I call my crusie line's 800 number.
    • I call my travel agent for information.
    • I check for details in Cruise Critic News/Hurricane Zone.
    • I check these message boards for other travelers' posts.
    • None of the above
    • Something else (which I'll post)

The Atlantic hurricane season officially begins on June 1 (what's in store? Check out our news story on the 2009 predictions).

With storms often come last-minute itinerary changes and port closures. We want to know: Where do you go first for information if you are booked on a cruise that could be impacted? Vote in our poll and be sure to post your opinion below!

I am mre concered with my flights to the cruise and the cruise ccurring than getting to specific ports. I figure the Captain is not looking to sail thru a hurricane and neither am I. I check places like the weather channel and CNN to see if a hurricane may impact me.

Depending on which cruise line you are on, the cruise companies typically post storm updates on their websites which typically are very detailed as to what itineraries and dates are being affected and what alternate routes and ports of calls are being used. Rarely does a cruise get cancelled. The cruise lines have very sophisticated weather tracking systems both at the company HQ as well as on board the ships. The ships also can outpace the storms and redirect their routes to avoid the worst of the weather. The captains are all quite experienced and want to enjoy clear sailing as much as the passengers. After all, that is their livelihood. Don't worry the odds are in your favor.

• Administrators

I do all of the above, basically. I watch the weather channel and local news; if it looks like there's an issue, I start checking the stories a lot more closely, and check the cruiseline's website, Cruise Critic, and the boards here.

If I'm booked on a cruise during hurricane season, I check the National Hurricane Center's page. Here is the link to that specific page:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Not that the NOAA website isn't really good, water baby, but I like to go directly to the hurricane page.:)

After that - my concern is with getting to the ship, so I check weather websites and airline sites to find alternate flight choices so I have all my options figured out.

Also - I always fly in at least a day early, so I have less to worry about.:)

Of course - I would also hang out in Cruise Critic's Hurricane zone...... :)

I call my TA (he's my husband) and we go to the cruise line websites regularly to check on our own itinerary and that of his clients. Since we're all the way over on the left coast, we pay special attention to how our travels may be impacted by flying to the east coast. Flying in one day early doesn't always help if the airports are closed.

I first check the National Hurricane Center web site, read their reports and watch their approximated tracking to determine if I even need to be concerned.

If I need to be concerned, I'll go to my cruiselines web page for updated information.

Then I come here and sit back and watch the entertainment of all the :mad: and :eek: posts and "I didn't buy insurance" and "Will the cruisline reimburse me" posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Living in southeast Florida, I keep my eye on the hurricane forecast for more than just cruising. The primary site is the National Hurricane Center - http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/. Straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Next, I follow Crown Weather Tropical Weather Page - http://www.crownweather.com/?page_id=29. They pull together information from multiple sources including the National Hurricane Center.

Southeast Florida Water Management district has a page showing the hurricane model tracks - http://my.sfwmd.gov/portal/page?_pageid=3194,21328260,3194_21169354:3194_21260388:3194_21260861&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL. Nothing going on there now (thank goodness).

If I have a cruise planned (late September), I will check the cruise line web site for itinerary changes. I know they will steer clear of the storms, but it may involve changes from what we were expecting. The only problems are when the storm is due to Florida when we are sailing or returning. Well, make that sailing. If it is due to hit when we are scheduled to return, we might get an extra day or two on the ship. :)

Gordon

For any changes concerning my cruise, I go directly to the cruise website.

For other updates concerning weather, I watch the weather channel.

For information concerning airports, I check the airline websites if I'm flying, check the website fly.faa.gov and listen to the local news.

I'd never rely on second hand information at all; preferring to go straight to the horses mouth....but, I'm that way about everything.....

Archived