Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old May 29th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Arrow Giving Back on Cruises

Check out this brand-new feature article from Cruise Critic:

Giving Back on Cruises

Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great article!

Thanks for the information. I would love to participate in some of these events.

It is especially important when the article points out that "charitable" shore excursions are designed to be fun for the tourist, while also achieving something good for someone else.

Cruise lines and cruisers could be excellent for these "voluntourism" activities ...I bet many cruisers, especially those who have been to various places more than once, would be happy to have the opportunity to engage in something new and different, and uplifting, while on their cruise.

And "voluntourism" while on a cruise fits so well with the "it's so easy" lifestyle of cruising ...just debark the ship, do a little good, have a little fun, get back on the ship, and continue with your cruise.

Please keep us posted on any of these opportunities.

Can't Wait:
* * For my Next cruise

Can't Forget (Every cruise is Great; but good-n-bad impressions):
2012/10 NCL Sky - HALLOWEEN getaway / private island cancelled (Sky is famous for often cancelling) / "Oh What A Night" best ship show yet (4nt Miami-Bahamas)
2010/12 Celebrity Summit: X abandoned their "better food" niche; now below-average food / No unobstructed forward viewing on entire ship / sorry X, but other lines and ships are better (7nt Southern Caribbean)
2009/09 Sapphire Princess: New Favorite!: Multi-tiered resort-like aft / heated freshwater pools & jacuzzis / full circumference promenade w teak deck chairs & bow access / better food / better activities / classy style (3nt "check out Princess" Vancouver, BC, to Los Angeles)
2009/08 Carnival Elation: Great viewing area on top of Bridge / Good mini-golf / zero MDR dress code enforcement / many theatre seats have poor view (5nt Baja redirected due to hurricane Jimena)
2009/04 Carnival Splendor: Good food / Best lobster / several design flaws (5nt Baja Mexico)
2008/12 RCI Serenade of the Seas: See Radiance below (7nt Eastern & Southern Caribbean)
2008/10 Carnival Elation: Aft outdoor dining / Rockin' live music (5nt Baja Mexico)
2008/02 RCI Voyager: Nice Outdoor Promenade w Bow access / Ice show / Huge pool area / way-too-Crowded Buffet w No outdoor dining (7nt Western Caribe)
2007/09 NCL Pride of Aloha: Beautiful decor / 3rd Best ship design yet / Best itinerary yet (11nt in Hawaii & nothing like it now! )
2006/12 RCI Radiance Of the Seas: Best atrium / perfect size / full circumference promenade w bow access / Buffet has aft outdoor dining / RCI's best design (8nt Eastern Caribbean)
2006/02 Carnival Pride: Great Bed / Lower decks aft vibrate (7nt Mexican Riviera)
2005/03 Celebrity Infinity: Best Food by far when X had Michel Roux (but no longer, see Summit above) / nice thalassotherapy adult pool (4nt Coastal Pacific)

Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Many cruise lines have a donation box in crew quarters..

When they stop in remote ports such as Christmas Island, the Amazon etc..the ship will make donations to the local people of food, clothing and other items.

You can usually find this out in advance and make arrangements to leave some of your own clothes behind or bring with you from home or another port on your itinerary items for schoolchildren..

We personally did this in Christams Island and Puntarenas.
$30.00 at a Dollar Tree store can buy a tremendous amount of school suppplies...

Many times cruisers will take this a step further and organize it all through their own Roll Call!

Just another idea for you to think of if you are interested in giving to others!

Old June 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
10,000+ Club

Great article, but there are independent excursions doing this as well. One of the best excursions we've ever taken was a humanitarian tour in Guatemala with a local guide. We took school supplies and were joined by a group of college kids and sponsors who had arranged to paint the medical clinic. The weather was overcast &/or raining, we returned to the ship a little cold, wet and muddy, but still the best excursion ever!

Celebrity Galaxy 11/04
Grand Princess 2/06
Carnival Conquest 10/06
Celebrity Mercury to Alaska 9/07 very cool - literally!
Vegas, baby! 11/08
NCL Spirit 1/09, where everybody knew my name (which was strange and a little fun at the same time)
NCL Pearl 3/10
HAL Oosterdam 5/2011, back to Alaska we went!
RCCL Mariner OTS 3/2012 - another 1st!
NCL Star 12/2012 - more firsts!
NCL Jewel 12/2013 - Christmas on the water
NCL Jewel 11/2014 - and a few more firsts!
NCL Sun 5/2015 - North to Alaska, this time into Denali!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Old June 5th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is OK for those interested or to whom volunteering is a whole new concept, since Obama-mania took over and the wife is pushing people to 'volunteer.' Please, spare me. What a bunch of phonies.

I've done volunteer work here at home my whole adult life (40 years of adult life to be exact!) way before it was 'cool' and when on vacation I see no need to do more.

If I see a big push at passengers to go on 'volunteering' expeditions in ports I'll scream. It's vacation -- get the in-your-face politics out of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinryan View Post
Great article!

Thanks for the information. I would love to participate in some of these events.

It is especially important when the article points out that "charitable" shore excursions are designed to be fun for the tourist, while also achieving something good for someone else.

Cruise lines and cruisers could be excellent for these "voluntourism" activities ...I bet many cruisers, especially those who have been to various places more than once, would be happy to have the opportunity to engage in something new and different, and uplifting, while on their cruise.

And "voluntourism" while on a cruise fits so well with the "it's so easy" lifestyle of cruising ...just debark the ship, do a little good, have a little fun, get back on the ship, and continue with your cruise.

Please keep us posted on any of these opportunities.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think that anytime we can give back, whether on vacation or not, is a good thing. Walking a 3 K for Susan G. Komen on a sea day is fun, good exercise, and the money raised will go to breast cancer research. If that is all some people do all year, so what? You response is elitist and, you may not like this, ignorant!

Royal Princess, TA east from Copenhagen to NYC, 2014
Grand Princess, Alaska, 2013
Caribbean Princess, Caribbean,2013
Ruby Princess, Eastern Mediterranean, 2012
Emerald Princess, Baltics and Russia, 2011
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Caribbean, 2011
Ruby Princess, Caribbean, 2010
Diamond Princess, Alaska, 2009
Crown Princess, Caribbean, 2008
HAL Westerdam, Western Mediterranean,2007
RCL Mariner of the Seas, Caribbean, 2005
HAL Westerdam, Caribbean, 2002
Grand Princess, Caribbean, 2000

Old June 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36kruzes View Post
This is OK for those interested or to whom volunteering is a whole new concept, since Obama-mania took over and the wife is pushing people to 'volunteer.' Please, spare me. What a bunch of phonies.

I've done volunteer work here at home my whole adult life (40 years of adult life to be exact!) way before it was 'cool' and when on vacation I see no need to do more.

If I see a big push at passengers to go on 'volunteering' expeditions in ports I'll scream. It's vacation -- get the in-your-face politics out of it!
Volunteering is political ??? That seems a strange take on it

Radiance of the Seas - Alaska July 2009
Legend of the Seas - Mediterranean, Oct 2007
Oriana - Pacific Islands & NZ, Dec/Jan 1980/81

Last edited by mochuck; June 5th, 2009 at 11:19 PM.

Old June 6th, 2009, 03:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

You do not live in the USA. You don't get the daily doses of "do more, volunteer more, give more -- more, more, more ----

And this has increased 100-fold since Obama and company took over and his wife started cramming "volunteer!!!" down everyone's throats. Some new to volunteerism think this sounds just ducky and fun and if Michelle says do it, well, we must do it then!

Well excuse me, but I've paid far more than my share in taxes and in volunteer time over the years and in donations than most of those new to the program and I don't want to be hit up for still more when on some cruise ship. Get the picture now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochuck View Post
Volunteering is political ??? That seems a strange take on it

Old June 7th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Get the picture now?
I think so. You don't like Obama and Michelle?

Old June 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
You do not live in the USA. You don't get the daily doses of "do more, volunteer more, give more -- more, more, more ----

And this has increased 100-fold since Obama and company took over and his wife started cramming "volunteer!!!" down everyone's throats. Some new to volunteerism think this sounds just ducky and fun and if Michelle says do it, well, we must do it then!

Well excuse me, but I've paid far more than my share in taxes and in volunteer time over the years and in donations than most of those new to the program and I don't want to be hit up for still more when on some cruise ship. Get the picture now?
This is hardly the first First family to try to increase volunteerism. George HW Bush and his thousand points of light, JFK, Lady Bird Johnson etc. Many people live in rural areas or spend hours a week commuting to jobs. (So. Californian that you are,you should know all about that.) and there may not be a suitable volunteer opportunity for them. Many cruiser are fond of ports, such as Costa Maya, that have been devastated by hurricanes, and of course New Orleans should be of special interest for all U.S. residents
If you don't want to be bothered on board, do what I do with the bingo announcements and the gold by the inch sales, IGNORE THEM.

Old June 13th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

I see two sides to this issue. First is volunteerism is good. The other is hey, you just spent a bunch of money on a cruise, you are drinking, eating and having fun while others are in need. You are fat, dumb and happy so you should feel guilty enough to help out people less fortunate than you.
RCL Empress-7 day Western Carib-1999
RCL Explorer-Eastern Carib-2001
CCL Glory -Western Exotic Carib-04
CCL Triumph-Western Carib-06
NCL Pride of America-Hawaii May 09
X Reflection-Eastern Carib Mar 13

Old June 14th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with you that volunteerism is good but I also agree with 36cruzes that people shouldn't be made to feel guilty if they don't want to volunteer on their holiday. I just don't see it as political.

No one should have to volunteer for anything because it is then no longer voluntary but compulsory. But for those who would like to do something while they are cruising - go for it.

Old June 14th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think this is great for those who want to do more than just relax on their vacation. There is a post on the RCI President & CEO BLOG here:

http://www.nationofwhynot.com/blog/?...8Why+Not%3F%29

Diamond

Past cruises:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
09/21/13 - RCCL Jewel of the Seas
09/28/12 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas
04/03/11 - RCCL Freedom of the Seas
04/05/08 - RCCL Enchantment of the Seas

11/11/07 - RCCL Jewel of the Seas
09/28/07 - RCCL Sovereign of the Seas
10/23/06 - RCCL Sovereign of the Seas
10/24/05 - RCCL Sovereign of the Seas
06/07/04 - RCCL Majesty of the Seas
07/10/94 - RCCL Majesty of the Seas

Old June 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:

WOW. Such anger and bitterness. I'm a bit shocked.
I live in the USA and do not feel I have been battered with any of those daily doses of which you speak.
Cindy WGIG#198-F --> "sea" my pictures HERE
Mustard of the Seas Utility Crewmember & Goodwill Ambassador - East Coast

My Cruises: Atlantic (Premier, a/k/a Big Red Boat), E Carib, Apr 93; Adventure (American Family), E Carib, June 94; Explorer of the Seas, E Carib, June 06; Jewel (Mustard) of the Seas, E Carib, Feb 07; Vision of the Seas (NUTZ 2), Mex Riviera, Oct 07; Caribbean Princess, E Carib, May 08; Carnival Ecstasy, W Carib, Sept 08; Serenade of the Seas (Mustard 2/NUTZ 3), Alaska, June 09; Jewel of the Seas, WB Transatlantic, Sept 10; Carnival Miracle, SE Carib, Nov 11; Jewel of the Seas (NUTZ 4), Canada/New England, Oct 12; Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas/Grand Turk, Nov 13; Adventure of the Seas, S Carib, Jan 14

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.” -- Isak Dinesen
Illegitimi non carborundum

Old June 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think this is a fantastic idea. We are going on a cruise March 2011 and I would love to be able to do some volunteer work while there. If anyone can help me figure out how I would appreciate it. We will be taking the Norwegian Star out of LA March 19, 2011.

I will have my 11 yr. old nephew, 10 yr. old son and 3 yr old daughter. I think volunteering while doing this cruise would be a great life lesson for them.

Dana

Old June 29th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

There would be no need to consider it "volunteering" if every person gave some of their time to others in need everyday, but they don't. They worry about themselves, and what they should do with their time. No guilt trip here, it isn't about what I do when I'm at home its about what I do from day to day that makes the difference. If it means that people are willing to take the first step towards working like a community while on vacation then I'm all for it. Why should we be the privileged ones who drive our massive ships into their countries, so we can sit their beaches, a hike through their jungles and offer no more than couple of dollars spent on trinkets and beers?

"Be an explorer. The universe is filled with wonder and magical things.
-- Flavia "

Old June 30th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Holiday

I like this site very much because it updates my knowledge.
==============
Beach Holiday Guide