Any Good Fiction Suggestions for Baltic Cruisers?

I just finished reading Debra Dean's Madonnas of Leningrad and felt it a good prelude to our visit to the Hermitage. Earlier this year Child 44, a cliffhanger by Tom Rob Smith gave me insight into Stalinist Russia.

Does anyone have suggestions for novels set in the Baltic region that you've liked and would recommend? Thanks!

I am addicted to his Millenium Trilogy series with the last book coming out the end of the month. It began with the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo,then the Girl Who Played with Fire and the last one being the Girl who KIcked the Hornet's Nest.

The novels take place in Sweden. Unfortunately, Larsson passed away and this is all we will have from him-such a shame.

Also, Karin Altevegren(you may have to check the spelling!) is another great No. European writer,as is Ave Edwardson.

Enjoy! Shelly:)

Hi TMLA ~

We were on the VOS in February and, with an eye to the Baltics, my DH was re-reading "The Brothers Karamazov". A woman on an elevator comment and, after I explained, she suggested "The Amber Room" by Steve Berry. I had never read him - he writes historical thrillers. This one gives a bit of WWII history along with the Amber room history & facts. I found it interesting - far from great literature but feel I know a little more about what we'll be seeing! [bough the book for little $ on half.com - I'd send it to you but now John is reading it - a surprise since we rarely read the same books - he says its so-so but he's more into pure history!)

In 2008, I read a beautiful little book "Astrid and Veronika" by Linda Olsson, a Swedish born write who now lives in New Zealand. It was a lovely story about relationships and set in Sweden. It begins in the winter and goes through Mid-Summer. Since we were in Sweden just after Mid-Summer and experienced some of the traditions mentioned in the book it made the visit even more special! Our daughter Robin had loaned me the book and we gave it to her Swedish niece, Frieda, to help her with reading English - she's fluent speaking the language - which is great since she's on her way towards a teaching degree!

I'm planning on taking Larsson's book on our trip! - Happy Reading!!

Thanks for the recommendations, Peg & Shelly. Our book group was considering the 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' so I will check into that one as well as 'Astrid & Veronica' and the Amber Room.

We fly out 31 days from today!

Barb

TMLA ~ off the subject but if your book group isn't involved with the Baltic - an author I think is very interesting is Jodi Picoult - don't know if you've ever read any of her books. They're about family relationships and controversial topics. If you're interested post or E-mail me and I'll give you more info.

I just finished reading Debra Dean's Madonnas of Leningrad and felt it a good prelude to our visit to the Hermitage. Earlier this year Child 44, a cliffhanger by Tom Rob Smith gave me insight into Stalinist Russia.

Does anyone have suggestions for novels set in the Baltic region that you've liked and would recommend? Thanks!

For insight into Stockholm and the Nobel Prize, I suggest, "The Prize", a novel by Irving Wallace (1963). It was also made into a not so memorable movie starring Paul Newman. The movie is fun to watch because it was shot on location in several scenes. The book was better, in my opinion.

Al

For Norway, I just read "Kristin Lavransdatter: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition) by Sigrid Undset, Tiina Nunnally, and Brad Leithauser ".

Also, "Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet" is a great book that will always come to mind when you look at the great churches and cathedrals of Europe and walled cities. His sequel, "World Without End" follows a few generations and centuries later. While they are not Baltic specific, the story is appropriate.

I read the Larsson books after my Baltic cruise, and I thoroughly enjoyed them, too.

The Amber Room: The Fate of the World's Greatest Lost Treasure (Paperback) by Catherine Scott-Clark and Adrian Levy is a non-fiction, historical account of the famous room. I read this after seeing the recreated room, and wished I could see it again with this better perspective and understanding.

Anna Karenina and Crime and Punishment, of course, are classic Russian literature. (I did the audio book versions, and don't know if I would have succeeded in the print copies.)

Currently, I am reading "A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka" which is set in Krakow, Poland. I just started it yesterday, but it was recommended in National Geographic Traveler as a book to take along.

Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow takes place in Copenhagen and Greenland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Smilla%27s_Feeling_for_Snow

Also hamlet by Shakespeare or any books by Hans Christian Andersen takes place in Denmark even though the HCA books could take place anywere in the western world.

I'm reading Steve Berry's 'The Romanov Prophecy'. So far it's not too bad...I'm only on page 87 and hope to finish and read some of the other great suggestions on this board before we set sail May 29th :D.

;)

If you like mysteries, you might also try Henning Mankell's Wallander series and Jo Nesbo's mysteries. I just read The Seige by Helen Dunmore and am about to read City of Thieves, both about the seige of Leningrad. I love this thread.

Well, I finished "Long Long Time Ago and Essentially True" by Brigid Pasulka, and I can affirm that it is a great read! I am now reading "The Madonnas of Leningrad", and enjoying it, too. Thanks for the leads on so many books. I've added them to my wish list!

For Iceland, I read "My Soul to Take: A Novel of Iceland" a mystery novel by Yrsa Sigurdardottir . It's light on the Iceland details, but a good read.

I am cruising the Baltics in June and can second some of the recommendations on this board. I am anxiously awaiting the third installment in Stieg Larsson's trilogy. I recently discovered Jo Nesbo and can recommend his books -- The Redbreast , The Devil's Star & Nemesis. I have also read Henning Mankells latest book, The Man from Bejiing and liked it so much that I am starting to read his Kurt Wallender series. The first book in the series is Faceless Killers. All of the books mentioned here are mysteries.

"The Madonnas of Leningrad" is a wonderful book, and I "third" the recommendation. Its author, Debra Dean, visited the Taft Museum here last year to talk to local art docents about writing the book and getting it published. She wrote it before she ever visited either St. Petersburg or the Hermitage and then revised her novel just before publication when she actually visited Russia for the first time! :)

In a heavier vein, the non-fiction book "The Rape of Europa" about Hitler's thefts from most of the great museums of Europe, including the Hermitage, is excellent. There was PBS documentary based on the book which can be found at many local public libraries.

I am currently reading City of Thieves that I got from our library. Saw Russka there but it was in hardcover and heaaavy. Just purchased The Amber Room and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo to take on our trip.

It is great to have so many suggestions for good reads. Thanks!

The Seige by Helen Dunmore is a good companion to City of Thieves, two perspectives on the same time. I also just read The Eye of the Red Tsar, a good mystery also set in Russia.

BardsTown, I think we have similar tastes. I have read all the Wallander books and even seen a couple of PBS Masterpiece Mysteries based on those books. I've read that The Man from Beijing did not come up to the same standards as the Wallander books, so I would like to hear your opinion when you have finished a couple of the Wallanders. I've also read all three Larssen books. (A friend brought the third one back from Europe awhile ago.)

Re: Nesbo. I am hoping to pick up the latest two in the series, The Redeemer and The Snowman, while on the cruise because they are not available in the US and I don't see an anticipated publication or release date on Amazon.

Our newspaper, The Cleveland Plain Dealer, published their reccommended summer paperback reading list today.

Purge by Sofi Oksanen in trade paper for 14.95 is set in the years of Soviet occupation of Estonia. It is a thriller originally published in Finnish and has been likened to the Stieg Larsson series.

This book has been added to my list of must-reads. Any first-hand reviews from cc'ers?

Well, City of Thieves is definitely going to be a read. The Oksana book looks like one to explore, too. I did complete the Madonnas of Leningrad, and it was a great recommendation.

My problem is that I keep reading all of these before our flights:D I have the Hornet's Nest just daring me to start reading it today...and I probably will!

Thanks so much for all the great books.

• 2 months later...

Archived