Looking for advice on private trips when docking at Osaka, Kobe, Tokyo

ruby326

Will be cruising in Japan in September and I am looking for advice on possible private tours in these three ports.

Will be in Osaka from 2-11pm

Kobe from 7am until 4pm

Tokyo from around 2pm until 7pm the next day.

Would be grateful for any advice.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, odd times for these ports. If you are thinking of DIY - Osaka - 2 to 11 pm. Most of the temples worth visiting in Kyoto *e.g. Golden Pavilion close at between 5 and 6 pm. One would have to rush off ship, take subway which is very close to the pier to JR station and rush up to Kyoto, then either take bus (which would be at least 45 minutes to reach Golden Pavilion) or a cab maybe 25 minutes. It is possible but quite a rush.

Alternatively, could try to get to Nara (before Todajii closes for the day) - actually that would be easier as once you get to Nara via train - it is a 15 minute walk to Todajii. That I believe is much more doable. And there is the Deer Park there too. Otherwise, key would be to stay in Osaka, maybe go see the castle, and go the Dotonbori District. All this via subway which is quite accessible from pier.

Tokyo - I would simply book a hotel in Tokyo for the evening that you arrive and then spend the night going to Shibuya Crossing, visiting Toyko Station surrounds, the following day, Mejii Shrine, there is so much to see in Toyko all via subway or JR train. Just take a back pack with you with a change of clothes and spend that one night in Tokyo. A great city to see at night. Or I assume docking at Yokohama, spend the day from 2:30 pm onwards in Yokohama. They have a great Chinatown. Then the following morning make you way to Tokyo (it is no more than one hour away) via subway in Yokohama first and then connect to JR train to Tokyo. Choose some key sites (Mejii Shrine for one) and spend the day in Tokyo to make sure to return to ship for 6 pm. Kobe - no suggestions for as we have only passed it on the bullet train and never did stop.

Thanks for your review and great tips.

I will be on the Millie for the same Japan itinerary this September,

So it seems fairly easy to DIY, using the subway system especially in Tokyo?

Is there an all day/multiple day ticket pass for tourists to enable unlimited travel on the subway without having to worry about exact fares at each stop? Where does one purchase all day subway tickets?

Also, if one had to choose, do you prefer Kobe or Osaka to visit on this cruise itinerary? Is it possible to see both DIY since the ship overnights in Kobe?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thanks for your review and great tips.

I will be on the Millie for the same Japan itinerary this September,

So it seems fairly easy to DIY, using the subway system especially in Tokyo?

Is there an all day/multiple day ticket pass for tourists to enable unlimited travel on the subway without having to worry about exact fares at each stop? Where does one purchase all day subway tickets?

Also, if one had to choose, do you prefer Kobe or Osaka to visit on this cruise itinerary? Is it possible to see both DIY since the ship overnights in Kobe?

Yes, doing Tokyo DIY is pretty easy. Once you know where to go, taking the subway or JR trains is easy and efficient.

We did not find it necessary to buy all day passes - even if they were available. The subways are so cheap that we never checked...

As you can read in our review, you can do Osaka and some of Kobe on one day. Seeing Osaka castle was great.

I highly recommend doing Kyoto from Kobe on the other day! Kyoto was one of the highlights of Japan and is not to be missed.

In case you do Kyoto pre-cruise, Nara is another choice and easy to reach from Kobe.