Next ship build after Allure of the Seas

Karter

Talking with several officers on the Oasis they said that after RCI finishes the current Celeberty builds the next ships for RC will be Radiance class or slightly smaller. They also said they do not believe RCI will ever build another ship the size of Oasis/Allure. Has anybody else heard this?

Can you really blame them? It cost them a LOT to build Oasis and Allure and the demand for them is not 100%... so they're not really making the profit they need to recoup their expenses... so it does make sense that they'd want to go smaller after that.. however I do believe it will be a long while before any other cruiseline attempts to build a ship as large as the Oasis class so they can relish in the profit they do reap from the Oasis class for a few years to come. But really, how many ships of that size do we need on the ocean at once? I think 2 are more than enough...

What RCI will build once the economy improves and they are able to reassess the cruise industry's future prospects is pretty much anyone's guess. I think that those officers who gave you the information were more likely to be indicating their preferences for future builds rather than providing you with accurate inside information. Both Adam Goldstein and Richard Fain have, for years now, indicated that it is simply not economically feasible to build more ships that are Radiance size and I would tend to believe them more than I would some personnel on a ship I was sailing on. Those people don't frequent the halls outside the executive offices where such decisions are made and frequently aren't as up to date with their information as some folks on these boards are. (There are far too many examples of even ship's captain's giving out information that has proven to be completely wrong.) Too many questions need to be answered before new build decisions can be rationally assessed. If Oasis and Allure prove to be immensely popular and profitable and they can maintain the premium price for those vessels, it is certainly possible that more ships of this size and type can be built (It is, after all, less expensive to build a third ship when the major design elements have already been completed and they have the benefit of the experience gained from building the previous ones). I happen to prefer Radiance class ships, but I have no illusions that, unless the bean counters see the numbers change, more of that class will be built.

I welcome that idea!

The Oasis class is to big, i think they can go up to the size of Freedom class. No more!

The same claims were made when Freedom was built, and Voyager and even Sovereign. Many people shared your opinion until they actually sailed on and experienced Oasis. Don't close your mind to new things. Check out Trainman's Oasis Live thread on these pages and you might begin to change your mind.:)

The same claims were made when Freedom was built, and Voyager and even Sovereign. Many people shared your opinion until they actually sailed on and experienced Oasis. Don't close your mind to new things. Check out Trainman's Oasis Live thread on these pages and you might begin to change your mind.:)

Yes i'm clearly to that.

Im not negative as it maybe seems in my last reply but i would either see the 4th Freedom Class ship:) I think that should help the fleet!

First thoughts....one poster said they not not making the profits they had hoped for with Oasis...Ship started sailing in December...where is the data that says they are not making a profit?

Back to the question: Next Build? I understand, from a super secret source, they will not have to build another ship! They are buying New Zealand, will put 6 Azapods engines on the Island and sail the Pacific.

First thoughts....one poster said they not not making the profits they had hoped for with Oasis...Ship started sailing in December...where is the data that says they are not making a profit?

Back to the question: Next Build? I understand, from a super secret source, they will not have to build another ship! They are buying New Zealand, will put 6 Azapods engines on the Island and sail the Pacific.

Chuckle. Would like to see the Promenade Deck on THAT vessel !!!

One DOES have to wonder what is coming up next. Since they say that Oasis, or "Project Genesis" back then, has been in development since 2005-2006, on or around the time the first freedom class ship came out, something must be in the planning stages since the first oasis class ship is out and the second will come out this year.

Rather than the zip line on Oasis, they would have the first ship with bungee jumping!

A new updated version of the Radiance class would be great..I love the Freedom class but feel it is too centered inward...all the windows on the Radiance really don't let you forget you are at sea...Will be interesting to see what happens next...;)

When I was on the Serenade two years ago the captain of that ship mentioned that RCCL would not be building other ships of that size.

I love the radiance class. I can understand that RCCL wants to build larger ships - but why not just build a larger version of the Radiance class?

When I was on the Serenade two years ago the captain of that ship mentioned that RCCL would not be building other ships of that size.

I love the radiance class. I can understand that RCCL wants to build larger ships - but why not just build a larger version of the Radiance class?

Interesting idea. Take all the windows looking out to the sea, still include the Royal Promenade that is such a favorite with people and build it a Freedom class size to make the bean counters (and let's not forget...shareholders!) happy.

Sounds like a wonderful compromise. Where do I sign up?:D

:confused: IF,IF,IF.......RC were to build another Radiance class vessel, they would obviously be able to update it and eliminate the very few and small negatives that currently exist...ie... larger Concierge and Diamond lounges, more whirlpools.

Judging by the number of people who state that Radiance class is their favourite, such an updated version would undoubtedly sell out regularly, and how could a regularly sold out ship , no matter what size, be an economic problem?

Can you really blame them? It cost them a LOT to build Oasis and Allure and the demand for them is not 100%... so they're not really making the profit they need to recoup their expenses... so it does make sense that they'd want to go smaller after that.. however I do believe it will be a long while before any other cruiseline attempts to build a ship as large as the Oasis class so they can relish in the profit they do reap from the Oasis class for a few years to come. But really, how many ships of that size do we need on the ocean at once? I think 2 are more than enough...

And you got your information where? The Oasis has been sailing less than two months and last week we were over 100% capacity and going by the pricing and amount of space being purchased on future cruises, it is way to early to tell how this ship is doing.

I thought RC said there is going to be a 4th Freedom class ship after they build Allure. I hope so, I LOVE Freedom class!

I read a post by someone that works at STX that the fourth Freedom class ship was axed. One reason was the economy and also the advances in technology since the Voyager and Freedom class ships were introduced. It would require many changes.

I don't think that RCI will build any new ships until the economy turns around and they pay down some of their debt load and right now they really do not need any new ships.

Thinking about the comment that the smaller ships are not economically feasible does seem to agree with what Carnival is doing. They seem to be making money even in this economy and all they have are smaller ships (compared to Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class). I think they have 8 Fantasy class ships (70,000 tons) and 4 Spirit class (88,000 tons) all of which are smaller than Radiance at 90,000 tons. 12 of their 22 ships are less than 90,000 tons so it sort of doesn’t make sense that you can’t make money with smaller ships.

Thinking about the comment that the smaller ships are not economically feasible does seem to agree with what Carnival is doing. They seem to be making money even in this economy and all they have are smaller ships (compared to Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class). I think they have 8 Fantasy class ships (70,000 tons) and 4 Spirit class (88,000 tons) all of which are smaller than Radiance at 90,000 tons. 12 of their 22 ships are less than 90,000 tons so it sort of doesn’t make sense that you can’t make money with smaller ships.
RCI can make money with their current smaller ships too, it's the economics of building new ships of that size that is the issue. Carnival's newest three ship classes are all bigger than Radiance class by quite a bit.

Archived