Queen Elizabeth 25 Night World Cruise re: Dress Code and other questions.

Kingofcool1947

DW and I are interested in a first time cruise with Cunard. Specifically, this cruise on the Queen Elizabeth.

Is the Queen Elizabeth a good introduction to the Cunard experience?

This is the itinerary we are considering:

25 Night Around The World Cruise from San Francisco to Sydney, Australia in 2018.

Our frame of reference for quality and service is Princess and Celebrity. We usually book a balcony stateroom. We love relaxing on a balcony stateroom. Reading, snacking, watching the ocean, and viewing the ports of calls. Cuisine, entertainment, and on board fitness programs are important to us. FWIW, we also have an initial cruise booked on Oceania in May 2018, as we have heard so much about it's upscale cuisine, and relaxed dress code.

Questions about Cunard, and specifically about the Queen Elizabeth:

Why are Cunard ship’s promoted as “Ocean Liners”? What makes Cunard ships different from regular ocean going ship’s? What makes them so special? Quality of cuisine, entertainment, and service? Other?

What is the typical demographic of PAX for a cruise of this duration? Stuffy or friendly types? We are getting too old to enjoy overactive and unsupervised children and teens on our cruises. :mad:

What is the dress code for sea days?

What is the dress code for dinner in the MDR(s)?

For men, are suits and ties, or tuxedos expected? Is wearing a sports coat/blazer without tie permitted?

For ladies are cocktail dresses, or long gowns expected? My DW is of that certain age where she does not like to show her legs.

Do PAX’s men wear suits and ties, or tuxedos every evening for dinner? Women in cocktail dresses or long gowns every evening?

Can, or do, PAX’s change to something more casual after evening dinner, or usually stay in suits or tuxedos? Do ladies stay in cocktail dresses or long gowns or OK to change into jeans or pants, and sandals after dinner?

Is there an evening buffet where causal wear is permitted?

In your opinion, how is the quality, quantity, and variety of the cuisine? Is it a cut above the cuisine served on mainstream cruise lines like Princess or Celebrity? I am a big eater, and like to enjoy several entrees at one sitting. On Cunard, is that allowed?;p

What kind of entertainment is offered? Do they show first run movies in a theater?

Do they have daily fitness programs like Zumba, Pilates, and/or yoga? Is there a fitness center and fitness coach,with treadmills, free weights, stationary bikes, and other fitness equipment?

Thank you for your input.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

DW and I are interested in a first time cruise with Cunard. Specifically, this cruise on the Queen Elizabeth.

Is the Queen Elizabeth a good introduction to the Cunard experience?

This is the itinerary we are considering:

25 Night Around The World Cruise from San Francisco to Sydney, Australia in 2018.

Our frame of reference for quality and service is Princess and Celebrity. We usually book a balcony stateroom. We love relaxing on a balcony stateroom. Reading, snacking, watching the ocean, and viewing the ports of calls. Cuisine, entertainment, and on board fitness programs are important to us. FWIW, we also have an initial cruise booked on Oceania in May 2018, as we have heard so much about it's upscale cuisine, and relaxed dress code.

Questions about Cunard, and specifically about the Queen Elizabeth:

Why are Cunard ship’s promoted as “Ocean Liners”? What makes Cunard ships different from regular ocean going ship’s? What makes them so special? Quality of cuisine, entertainment, and service? Other?

QM2 is the only true ocean liner left in service. I could give you a long list of what the technical difference is, but she has a much deeper draft (more ship under the waterline) and is made of thinker steel than a cruise ship. QE and QV are really cruise ships, but with slightly longer bows and a bit of extra steel in the bow for strength.

What is the typical demographic of PAX for a cruise of this duration? Stuffy or friendly types? We are getting too old to enjoy overactive and unsupervised children and teens on our cruises. :mad:

For longer cruises, it tends to be older people, they are the ones who have the time and the money. Even when there are children on board, they are usually well behaved.

What is the dress code for sea days?

That will depend on the weather. As a rule for being inside the ship t-shirt or shirt and trousers is ok. The ship is often cool so I usually wear a jacket or jumper/sweeter as well. Shorts are not allowed in the MDR for meals.

What is the dress code for dinner in the MDR(s)?

For men, are suits and ties, or tuxedos expected? Is wearing a sports coat/blazer without tie permitted?

For ladies are cocktail dresses, or long gowns expected? My DW is of that certain age where she does not like to show her legs.

Do PAX’s men wear suits and ties, or tuxedos every evening for dinner? Women in cocktail dresses or long gowns every evening?

Formal nights, then tux, dinner jacket or dark suit are required. Informal, jacket required but ties are optional. Port days are almost always informal, sea days could be either depending on how many there are.

Can, or do, PAX’s change to something more casual after evening dinner, or usually stay in suits or tuxedos? Do ladies stay in cocktail dresses or long gowns or OK to change into jeans or pants, and sandals after dinner?

The dress code applies to the theatre and queens room so most people do not get changed after dinner

Yes there is the lido buffet if you don't want to dress up, you can also use the golden lion pub and garden lounge at night.

In your opinion, how is the quality, quantity, and variety of the cuisine? Is it a cut above the cuisine served on mainstream cruise lines like Princess or Celebrity? I am a big eater, and like to enjoy several entrees at one sitting. On Cunard, is that allowed?;p

I can't speak for Princess and Celebrity, but I think the food is better than on P&O. I really like everything about the food. Yes you can order more than one entree.

What kind of entertainment is offered? Do they show first run movies in a theater?

Movies are shown in the afternoons and sometimes late at night. The entertainment tends to be comedians, musicians, singers etc plus they have a troop of singers and dancers.

Do they have daily fitness programs like Zumba, Pilates, and/or yoga? Is there a fitness center and fitness coach,with treadmills, free weights, stationary bikes, and other fitness equipment?

Yes on deck 9 forward.

I’ve only been on 2 cruises so far, I’m not yet 40, and travel with my hubby and tween daughter, we primarily go because we absolutely love the dress code, and service. Our daughter is the 3 rd generation in our family to travel with Cunard...

In regards to ordering several entrees , please consider that this may effect everybody else at your table.

The waiter will most likely bring everything you order at the same time and balance it on the table, but you will take time eating everything and your table mates will wait for you to finish until their next course is served.

In regards to ordering several entrees , please consider that this may effect everybody else at your table.

The waiter will most likely bring everything you order at the same time and balance it on the table, but you will take time eating everything and your table mates will wait for you to finish until their next course is served.

Perhaps, it would be better if I ask for a table for two at dinner, as we often do on Princess and Celebrity. Cunard will have plenty of tables for two in their dining rooms?

I’m not much for engaging in small talk with tablemates at dinner.

And, I do dine at a leisurely pace, as I like taking my time to enjoy my meal when dining at dinner. Sometimes, it may take me as long as two hours to finish my dinner, wine, deserts, and tea.. So, it’s probably not the best to share a table with other PAX”s. :D

Edited by Kingofcool1947

The dress code applies to the theatre and queens room so most people do not get changed after dinner

Yes there is the lido buffet if you don't want to dress up, you can also use the golden lion pub and garden lounge at night.

Is this unique to QE or unique to a world cruise? To my knowledge the evening dress code applies throughout the ship with the exception of the Lido and Winter Garden.

Not that some people don't ignore the code but I think the answer to a question about the dress code should be what the code says and not what some people decide to get away with.

Having sailed on Fred Olsen and P&O in the last few years, Cunard do a pretty good job when it comes to dress code. I hope it stays that way. I am not sure how you get from the Lido to the Golden Lion but I think I am right in what I said.

From the Cunard website

"On formal nights, any guests wishing to dress more casually are welcome to dine in the Kings Court or Lido restaurants and relax in the Carinthia Lounge, Winter Garden, Garden Lounge, Yacht Club, G32 or on the open decks. Please do not use other areas within the ship, including The Verandah restaurant, out of respect for our fellow guests. "

The Golden Lion still requires formal dress.

Hi prior to October this year we had sailed with Celebrity 5 times and princess 3 times

Cunard - we are hooked ( not sure if being in queens grill assisted with that) booked another 2 while on board and going again this year for Xmas and new year ( in an inside cabin ) maybe a different experience ? fingers crossed it’s not too different

We loved everything about it difficult to put in words but it far exceeded our expectations

Happy sailing 🚢

Cunard prides itself that any of the three Queens is a good introduction to the Cunard style. So, you''ve no worries on QE.

No matter brochure copy, Cunard only runs one true "ocean liner," the bigger Queen Mary 2. She has a stronger build/hull, has more steel for strength, closer to 40% more than a stock Vista-build cruise ship, has a longer tapered bow to cut through rough ocean waves, has a deeper draft. She can plow through any weather and keep on schedule. A liner, built for speed.

The Victoria and Elizabeth are more cruise ships that can cross an ocean but are more designed for holidays than transport. Their design has less call for strong steel in the hull, a reduced draft allows docking in more ports, the bow is shorter and wider, both have a more flat bottom. Liners easily cross oceans, cruise ships cross as well but prefer calm seas. The V. & E. are fine for World Cruise segments.

On a Word Cruise segment in January/February you'll not find it overrun with children, the load will be grown-ups able to afford almost a month on sea. Lots of friendly, relaxing, types on board.

In my 17 years of cruisecritic.com posts and more years of World Cruise segments on the last four Cunard Queens, dress code questions seem to be the most prevalent. It's all spell out in the brochures, but still people have questions. Remember, you're on a journey, the ship is a destination for many, as are ports to be seen. Dress on sea days is casual . For many, they turn themselves out smartly. It's not a load of people dressing as if they are making a quick run to

Tesco hoping no one will see them. After 6pm the dress code is throughout the ship. Tuxedo/Black Tie or dark suit, women in gowns, on formal nights. Informal nights a suit and tie, cocktail dresses, are the norm. The dress for the night is posted in the daily bulletin. And as said, is for throughout the ship. Lately Cunard has seemingly been trying to attract a larger load by allowing men in dinning rooms on informal nights without a necktie, if wearing a jacket. For the hyper-casual any night, in the Lido buffet anything goes. But really, the dress code is a guideline, nothing to worry about. Foodwise, no doubt you'll be friendly with your waiter, and if two entrees look good to you he'll be pleased to see you get two, if not three! Same with deserts!

Ship entertainment, the singing and dancing, is worth checking out; if to your taste, you'll be pleased. Same with the films. Often such take hard knocks on these forums, but it's all in good fun. Daily fitness? Well I'm very good at watching such activity, so cannot say. All four of the gym/fittness centers have been well-fitted out. Too, there are daily classes. I think you and DW will find your days well-filled.

Cunard prides itself that any of the three Queens is a good introduction to the Cunard style. So, you''ve no worries on QE.

No matter brochure copy, Cunard only runs one true "ocean liner," the bigger Queen Mary 2. She has a stronger build/hull, has more steel for strength, closer to 40% more than a stock Vista-build cruise ship, has a longer tapered bow to cut through rough ocean waves, has a deeper draft. She can plow through any weather and keep on schedule. A liner, built for speed.

The Victoria and Elizabeth are more cruise ships that can cross an ocean but are more designed for holidays than transport. Their design has less call for strong steel in the hull, a reduced draft allows docking in more ports, the bow is shorter and wider, both have a more flat bottom. Liners easily cross oceans, cruise ships cross as well but prefer calm seas. The V. & E. are fine for World Cruise segments.

On a Word Cruise segment in January/February you'll not find it overrun with children, the load will be grown-ups able to afford almost a month on sea. Lots of friendly, relaxing, types on board.

In my 17 years of cruisecritic.com posts and more years of World Cruise segments on the last four Cunard Queens, dress code questions seem to be the most prevalent. It's all spell out in the brochures, but still people have questions. Remember, you're on a journey, the ship is a destination for many, as are ports to be seen. Dress on sea days is casual . For many, they turn themselves out smartly. It's not a load of people dressing as if they are making a quick run to

Tesco hoping no one will see them. After 6pm the dress code is throughout the ship. Tuxedo/Black Tie or dark suit, women in gowns, on formal nights. Informal nights a suit and tie, cocktail dresses, are the norm. The dress for the night is posted in the daily bulletin. And as said, is for throughout the ship. Lately Cunard has seemingly been trying to attract a larger load by allowing men in dinning rooms on informal nights without a necktie, if wearing a jacket. For the hyper-casual any night, in the Lido buffet anything goes. But really, the dress code is a guideline, nothing to worry about. Foodwise, no doubt you'll be friendly with your waiter, and if two entrees look good to you he'll be pleased to see you get two, if not three! Same with deserts!

Ship entertainment, the singing and dancing, is worth checking out; if to your taste, you'll be pleased. Same with the films. Often such take hard knocks on these forums, but it's all in good fun. Daily fitness? Well I'm very good at watching such activity, so cannot say. All four of the gym/fittness centers have been well-fitted out. Too, there are daily classes. I think you and DW will find your days well-filled.

Thank you for your reply.. it will help DW and I make an informed decision re: the QE and World Cruise we are considering as an introduction to the Cunard experience. :)

One orher question:

Is it true certain decks, and restaurants are only for PAX’s in the highest loyalty levels, or booked in the most expensive staterooms?

FWIW, we usually book a balcony stateroom on Princess and Celebrity.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Thank you for your very informative reply.. it will help DW and I make an informed decision re: the QE and World Cruise we are considering as an introduction to the Cunard experience,

One orher question:

Is it true certain shipboard restaurants are only for PAX’s in the higher loyalty levels, or in the most expensive staterooms?

Yes; Queen's Grill, Princess Grill, and Britannia Club levels all have their own dining rooms. If you are in one of those cabins, you can dine at any time you like. The MDR has 2 fixed seating times.

And a small quibble with the previous post about the dress code ("the dress code is a guideline, nothing to worry about"). While you won't be ostracized if you don't follow it to the letter, most of your fellow passengers will appreciate it if you make a modest effort to comply.