Jolly Pirate fun for adults & what to do after?

Pbjandthou

Hello All.

My Hubby and I just booked the AOS for my annual "I don't want to be home for my birthday" vacation next May.

This will be my second cruise and our first time in Aruba. I keep reading great reviews of the Jolly Pirate snorkel cruise, but wonder if it would be fun for us (in our 40's, no kids, love the water and love to snorkel).

If you think we'd better steer clear, do you have any other suggestions?

If you think we'd still have a blast, what do you suggest for post-Pirate fun? Is there a great beach with palapas or beach umbrellas for rent nearby? The ship departs at 8:30, so we have a bit of time.

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

Lora

We did the Jolly Pirates cruise last week and it was a blast. There were about 15 of us in our group alone that range from 16-50 years old. Everyone had a good time. The snorkeling was great especially around the shipwreck. We did the tour in the afternoon.

In the morning we took a cab to Palm Beach (got out at the Radisson). There is plenty to do there. You can rent beach chairs, umbrellas, go snorkeling, parasailing, etc. That may be an option for you. Hope this helps.

Dear Borbs11,

That's a great help. Thank you! :D

We'd probably snorkel in the morning and go to the beach afterwards (and hope that there are chairs and umbrellas available.)

Are there casual, fun places in the Palm Beach area to enjoy a cocktail and have a bit of dinner after we go to the beach or do you think we're better off going back to the ship to wash up first?

Thanks.

lora

We saw a lot of cool places to have drink and food along that beach, especially right near the Radisson.

I hope you get to take the Banana Bus to the Jolly Pirates tour. That was a fun experience in and of itself! I'll post a picture of it soon.

I SAW ON THE NEWS THE JOLLY PIRATE SUNK LAST WEEK, NO ONE WAS INJURED BUT i DON'T THINK ANYONE WILL BE ON THAT SHIP.

MAYBE THEY HAVE 2:( :confused:

Happened like the first week in July. The ship was raised a few days later and sent to Venezuela for repairs. Should be back in the fleet very soon. And YES, they had TWO ships, so never fear, the Jolly still sails...and the pirates are watching the Aruban coast. :D

Is there a great beach with palapas or beach umbrellas for rent nearby? The ship departs at 8:30, so we have a bit of time.

Lora

The Jolly Pirate crew will tell you to meet them on the beach in front of MooMba Beach Bar & Restaurant. http://moombabeach.com/component/ You can rent chairs right there.

A couple of other threads to help you with Palm Beach.

Question about Palm Beach?

Photos of Eagle or Palm beach

Aruba Beach~Help!

Arubalisa, question about beach

Suggestions for inexpensive way to spend our day..

Day at Palm Beach Price Breakdown

Thanks everyone for the great information!

It's wonderful to know that I'll have your help preparing for this cruise. I found this site back in 2004 before I took my last cruise (my first ever) and don't know what I'd done without all of the fantastic advice.

Lora

Hello All.

My Hubby and I just booked the AOS for my annual "I don't want to be home for my birthday" vacation next May.

This will be my second cruise and our first time in Aruba. I keep reading great reviews of the Jolly Pirate snorkel cruise, but wonder if it would be fun for us (in our 40's, no kids, love the water and love to snorkel).

If you think we'd better steer clear, do you have any other suggestions?

If you think we'd still have a blast, what do you suggest for post-Pirate fun? Is there a great beach with palapas or beach umbrellas for rent nearby? The ship departs at 8:30, so we have a bit of time.

Lora

We just got back from our AOS cruise.

I was skeptical about Jolly Pirates...thinking it was for the much younger crowd.

Was I wrong, there were more 30, 40, & 50 year olds than any other age.

It wasn't a "party" boat at all.

We sailed to three snorkel spots. Excellent!

Then they served a delicious lunch.

And finally did their famous "rope swing".

Crew were extremely friendly & helpfully.

I would highly recommend Jolly Pirates.

DSCN0666.jpg

DSCN0676.jpg

hi ya pb&J,

You will meet several guests aboard in your age group, no doubt!

When you get off the JP, you can visit our shop at MooMba and I

will hv comp lounge chair tix for you. They are very happy to hv the

c.ship guests visits at MooMba. Showers, bathroom facilities and bar/restaurant are all avail there. They will bring you an ice cold pina colada right to your chair if you like! - my kind of way to spend a carefree afternoon! :)

Thanks for the nice photos sandytoes! Thrilled to hear u had so much fun abaord! If you have more, pls send me some! I will upload ur family on our new website.

The first photo sandytoes has posted is of the ship that had the

accident with the freak weather. Although she looks nice (considering what happened) in the photo sandy toes posted this is the ship on its way for her beauty treatment and will be back to looking magnificent in four weeks.

Looking forward to welcoming you aboard! ;)

Wow, where do I sign up?!?! Your offer is incredibly generous and virtually impossible to refuse. We're very low maintenance folks, though, so I'm sure that we can manage to carry those drinks ALL the way back to our chairs...if we must!! :D

Are beach umbrellas available as well?

L.

Moomba beach - right where you catch the Jolly Pirate, is a great place to hang out until you need to go back to the ship.

You can swim, rent beach chairs, just find a spot to spread your towel, or find a table at the open air bar/restaurant and have a few drinks. No need to go any place else. Count on a little extra time to catch a cab back - there were not a lot of them there. Had to wait for someone to be dropped off - or I think they'll call one for you.

Moomba Beach - click for more

55229521-S.jpg

• 1 month later...
I'm assuming MooMba beach is close to Oranjestad? If our port is Oranjestad will we be able to take the jolly pirate cruise?

Yes. Few, if any, beaches are within walking distance of the ship's dock - but the main stretches of beaches are a 10 to 20 minute cab ride away, and MooMba is amount the main stretch of beaches on the western coastline, to the north of Oranjestad. Just be sure to leave a little extra time for waiting for a cab and a little traffic back - just in case.

After reading all this (along with a few other threads), we also booked the Jolly Pirates for our trip in March.....thanks for all the help and comments.
You've made a good choice...make sure you read through JOLLY PIRATES is the BEST

There is a lot of good info regarding what to expect.

Archived