Rome in Limo - What's missing in Vatican Tour?

waterski12001

Hello experts,

Here is one for you.... we are taking the Rome in Limo tour from the port to Rome from the Ruby princess on July 19th and was wondering. for the highlights of Rome tour. For the portion that is at the Vatican the description is as follows

- the city tour continues with a visit to the Vatican City, the smallest state in the world, to explore the richest storehouse of art in the world: the Vatican Museum with the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica

My question is: we are returning to Rome from Venice after the cruise ends and will have from 12:00 p.m. until the next morning and were thinking we should spend some of that time back at the Vatican. Is this a worthwhile use of our time? What will the Rome In Limo tour that we did 7 days earlier not include that we may want to go back for?

We are also thinking about a evening tour in Rome (we don't fly out until noon the next day) any suggestions as to what to do in the evening?

Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions.

I have done the Vatican, once on our own for a day, and of course with RIL on their whirlwind see rome in a day. It all comes down to do you like art or not. I found we spent more than enough time in St Peters, the Sistine too as isn't worth more time as its simply to crowded a zoo to enjoy more. The rest of the Vatican Museum is very very extensive and you simply don't see much of it on the RIL tour, you simply walk thru the part of the muesum that takes you to the Sistine. Not a bad thing on their part you simply don't have time. Like art then worth a second tour is totally worth it. Like it less, also good to as there is a lot of Rome you simply don't get to in the RIL tour.

For sure on the second time around schedule a nice looong traditional dinner, wander the plazas in the evening as you will have none of that in the RIL tour, consider a walking tour of the Forum.

Hello experts,

Here is one for you.... we are taking the Rome in Limo tour from the port to Rome from the Ruby princess on July 19th and was wondering. for the highlights of Rome tour. For the portion that is at the Vatican the description is as follows

- the city tour continues with a visit to the Vatican City, the smallest state in the world, to explore the richest storehouse of art in the world: the Vatican Museum with the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica

My question is: we are returning to Rome from Venice after the cruise ends and will have from 12:00 p.m. until the next morning and were thinking we should spend some of that time back at the Vatican. Is this a worthwhile use of our time? What will the Rome In Limo tour that we did 7 days earlier not include that we may want to go back for?

We are also thinking about a evening tour in Rome (we don't fly out until noon the next day) any suggestions as to what to do in the evening?

I have done the Vatican, once on our own for a day, and of course with RIL on their whirlwind see rome in a day. It all comes down to do you like art or not. I found we spent more than enough time in St Peters, the Sistine too as isn't worth more time as its simply to crowded a zoo to enjoy more. The rest of the Vatican Museum is very very extensive and you simply don't see much of it on the RIL tour, you simply walk thru the part of the muesum that takes you to the Sistine. Not a bad thing on their part you simply don't have time. Like art then worth a second tour is totally worth it. Like it less, also good to as there is a lot of Rome you simply don't get to in the RIL tour.

For sure on the second time around schedule a nice looong traditional dinner, wander the plazas in the evening as you will have none of that in the RIL tour, consider a walking tour of the Forum.

Thanks for the info :)

Tours like this also don't include time to climb to the top of the cupola at St. Peters, which is a great experience if you are up to it. There is an elevator that takes you to the top of the basilica, then you climb up the cupola itself. The up close view of Michaelangelo's mosaics is amazing, as well as the view from the top.

There are a few variables here.

1) How "in depth" do you want to experience the Vatican ?

We spent one whole morning with a private guide. There is sooo much in the museum it becomes visual overload. You could spend days in there. The Sistine Chapel was wonderful but 30 minutes allows you to see it (unless you are there to study in detail - which there is alot of) and with a good guide - 1 hr in St. Peters was plenty for us. We went around the whole basilica. So, it you want to get a good overall visit - one whole morning is ok. If you are really into the art and history - days are required. Then there is climbing the cupola.

2) How much of the rest of Rome do you see in your tour ? After 3 visits we have found that we enjoy this city most when walking around. Around every corner you come across something else. A neat statue, a small fountain in a wall, a cool shop, always a treat waiting to be found ;)

3) For the evening - my advice is to find a nice piazza restaurant - plop yourself down with a good view and have a nice dinner and people watch. Our favorite is Di Rienzo in Piazza della Rotunda (the one in front of the Pantheon). The locals all come out at night with their kids etc. to enjoy it also. Visit the Trevi (not far from this piazza) at night when it is all lit up. It is very different than during the day. Stop down the street for a gelato. Soak up Rome. It is like no other place.

Hello experts,

It's so hard to say what you will miss, and what you will want to see more of. I had no idea I would love Rome so much. After your day spent with Romeinlimo, you will have a very good idea what you will want to come back and see more of. It's one of the beauties of a private tour. You may want to see something completely different than the Vatican... If your tour does not take you to the Colosseum or the Roman Forum, that is probably where I would go after my time in Venice. You will have so many ideas after your tour that you'll be sad you won't have a whole week to explore Rome:) If you have any questions about anything at the end of your tour, try to ask them then... the driver you will have will have so much information that you can use on your return.

Enjoy Rome! It's a fantastic city!

If you want to see Rome, then the Limo tours are what you get. if you want to experience Rome, you need to look elsewhere. What I mean is, the Limo services drive you around but they do not take you into the venues. They just drop you off and then you stand in line, get your tickets and walk through, be it the Vatican or the Colosseum or any other place. The drivers are not tour guides. So, what the others have said is good advice, just be aware you are getting a driver and car and he will wait for you while you spend the 3 hours or so in the Vatican and the 2 hours or so in the Colosseum and while you walk to the Trevi fountain or Spanish Steps.

Doing the Vatican and even the Colosseum without a guide is, in my opinion, missing a good part of what they have to offer...unless you are knowledgeable enough of both those sites.

As for when you come back from Venice, you have the afternoon and evening, you can do the Vatican, with a guide. I have used Viator and enjoyed the guide and tour http://www.viator.com/tours/Rome/Skip-the-Line-Vatican-Museums-Sistine-Chapel-and-St-Peters-Basilica-Half-Day-Walking-Tour/d511-3058VATICAN) and highly recommend the free walking tour form the Spanish Steps. It is informative, it is interesting and it is fun. The guide even points out several very good places to eat after the tour.

http://www.romefreetour.com/

Enjoy Rome, regardless which way you see it :)

Archived