Sydney to Auckland or Auckland to Sydney

DanaJW

I am a bit confusedm about the message board. I posted the following on the Australia and Zealand Cruising message board, but not under the Ports of Call Australia board. I will spend much more time reading both boards to figure out the differences...unless someone has a quick clue for me! :)

Here is what I asked:

Hello, we are planning an Australia/New Zealand cruise and are wondering if there are any preferences for beginning the trip in Sydney, ending in Auckland, or vice versa.

In addition, please help me figure out which is best, port or starboard, based on whether we travel Sydney to Auckland or Auckland to Sydney. I realize there are discussions on the board regarding port or starboard, but I have found much of it to be confusing or contradictory. I guess I am just looking for some definitive answer, knowing of course there probably isn't one.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dana

Dana,

I would be happy to give you my opinion and it's a strong one. We did Auckland to Sydney and I wouldn't do the other way if you gave me half off my cruise.

My reasons:

1. Sea days. If you go Sydney to Auckland your first day out is a sea day. Then you have a single port day and then two sea days while you cross the Tasman sea. Your fourth day is the fjords. Then you have seven straight port days. By the time you get off in Auckland you are exhausted. On the final day you have to tour Bay of Islands then come back to the ship and pack. I don't know about you but I love sea days at the end of a cruise. When the cruise starts, I just want to "get cruisin'." I want to start touring. WIth Auckland to Sydney I get to do just that. You start just that way. You tour for four day, then just when you are about to collapse from all those shore days, you get the beautiful fjords. Then two days on the Tasman Sea to relax, Melbourne and lastly a leisurely sea day to pack before you arrive in Sydney.

2. Look closely at the itinerary. What time do you get in in some ports? Last summer some of the Sydney to Auckland cruises were spending 2 or 3 hours less in ports than those going the other way.

3. Sydney is an amazing city. We loved having it at the end of our cruise after those three sea days. We got there and we were relaxed and well prepared for three days of seeing one of the most incredible cities we have ever been in. This would not have been true had we gone the other direction. Besides being tired from touring Tauranga and Bay of Islands when we arrived in Auckland, Auckland is NO SYDNEY. We liked Auckland but would not go back. We can't wait to go back to Sydney.

When we get back from any cruise we always do a full review and website with pics and more. You can see ours here if it will help in your planning. We have some very specific recommendations on it: http://web.mac.com/jimbellomo/Down_Under/Home.html

Have a great trip. We envy you. We loved both Australia and New Zealand.

Jim

Jim, Thanks so much for your reply. We are traveling with a group and I'm not sure if the group prefers the intense part of the cruise to be at the beginning or end of our trip. As of now, we are leaning toward the Sydney to Auckland route, arriving in Sydney a day or two ahead of the cruise. That would give us a few days in Sydney, including the two days we actually are on the ship, docked in the harbor there.

I also wonder if, once we've disembarked in Auckland, if we would plan to spend the day and night there, then travel home the following day. Or if Auckland is just a disembarkation point and we should travel home the day we arrive there. (Quite obviously I haven't done my homework yet, but will do that soon.)

I will definitely read your trip/cruise review and gather information. I appreciate your input and any other thoughts about our trip.

Thanks DrKoob. We are booked on an Auckland to Sydney cruise for next January. I was originally looking for the opposite direction, but had not thought of your reasoning. I believe Auckland is 3 hrs ahead of Sydney, which allows you to gain a few hours of cruising. That could be why there is a little less time spent in some of the ports.

Thanks DrKoob. We are booked on an Auckland to Sydney cruise for next January. I was originally looking for the opposite direction, but had not thought of your reasoning. I believe Auckland is 3 hrs ahead of Sydney, which allows you to gain a few hours of cruising. That could be why there is a little less time spent in some of the ports.

You will truly enjoy your cruise.

And Dana, to answer your question, I would spend at least a day in Auckland. Read my review for places that you should see and skip. Then fly home the next day. But if you can talk your friends into it, go the other direction.

Also noticed that X has switched back to Christchurch from Akaroa again. I am sorry to hear that. Before we went I really wanted to do Christchurch but Akaroa turned out to be the best port of the entire cruise and those onboard who took a tour to Christchurch were totally disappointed as they spent three hours to drive to see a city that was still closed down due to the earthquake.

Jim

Agree with Jim/DrKoob that, ideally, Auckland to Sydney has more pluses. BUT, we just booked a 2014 cruise going Sydney to Auckland. Why? It is a 14-day cruise with Celebrity that better fits on timing needs for later January and early February. Being 14-days (versus their normal 12-day offerings from this cruise line), it gives us two extra stops in New Zealand at Napier/Hawke's Bay and Bay of Islands.

We will get into Sydney early and maybe do pre-cruise time in Cairns and/or Adelaide/Kangaroo Island. For us, this cruise will start Jan. 20, in Sydney, boarding mid-day, overnight on ship allowing more time in Sydney; departing from Sidney harbor/Opera House the next day at 6:30 pm. Then a cruising sea day on the Tasman Sea going south to Tasmania; a full day in Hobart, then two sea days going to New Zealand. That gets us fully rested from the long flights "down under" and doing our land portions in Australia, plus being prepared for our six port stops and one sea day as we sail north up the NZ coast. We'll make it work and flow for our needs and interests, including doing a day or two in Auckland before flying back.

For Sydney to Auckland, the port side would be the best side for keeping sight of the coast as you sail north and that's what we booked. On Auckland to Sydney, starboard is best for your room/balcony choice.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 72,977 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

You will truly enjoy your cruise.

And Dana, to answer your question, I would spend at least a day in Auckland. Read my review for places that you should see and skip. Then fly home the next day. But if you can talk your friends into it, go the other direction.

Also noticed that X has switched back to Christchurch from Akaroa again. I am sorry to hear that. Before we went I really wanted to do Christchurch but Akaroa turned out to be the best port of the entire cruise and those onboard who took a tour to Christchurch were totally disappointed as they spent three hours to drive to see a city that was still closed down due to the earthquake.

Jim

Do you mean that X is planning to berth at Lyttelton instead of visiting Akaroa?

If so, from which date?

Do you mean that X is planning to berth at Lyttelton instead of visiting Akaroa?

If so, from which date?

I got my info by looking at the X site for next winter's sailings and try all list Christchurch and not Akaroa.

I got my info by looking at the X site for next winter's sailings and try all list Christchurch and not Akaroa.

I think you will find the cruise companies still list Christchurch as a port of call, because Akaroa is a part of Christchurch.

There have been major repair and insurance problems repairing Lyttelton port, following the earthquake.

I think you will find the cruise companies still list Christchurch as a port of call, because Akaroa is a part of Christchurch.

There have been major repair and insurance problems repairing Lyttelton port, following the earthquake.

Last year X listed Akaroa as the port for all of Century's stops. They had originally listed Christchurch but about 4 months ahead they switched them all to Akaroa on their website.

Last year X listed Akaroa as the port for all of Century's stops. They had originally listed Christchurch but about 4 months ahead they switched them all to Akaroa on their website.

Maybe X will switch to Akaroa before the next cruise season later in the year.

"WELCOME TO CHRISTCHURCH, NEW ZEALAND

Following the devastating earthquakes of 2011, we would like to keep you up to date with tourism in Christchurch. If you are interested in seeing something of the current situation, please feel free to view this YouTube video

Cruise ships will continue to call into Akaroa (tender port) for the 2012/2013 season, due to earthquake damage at the Port of Lyttelton. We are available for tours into Christchurch, from Akaroa, for all cruise ships during the 2012/2013 season. To see more details please click here or to send your enquiry now, please click here."

http://www.discoverytravel.co.nz/

Dana,

I would be happy to give you my opinion and it's a strong one. We did Auckland to Sydney and I wouldn't do the other way if you gave me half off my cruise.

My reasons:

1. Sea days. If you go Sydney to Auckland your first day out is a sea day. Then you have a single port day and then two sea days while you cross the Tasman sea. Your fourth day is the fjords. Then you have seven straight port days. By the time you get off in Auckland you are exhausted. On the final day you have to tour Bay of Islands then come back to the ship and pack. I don't know about you but I love sea days at the end of a cruise. When the cruise starts, I just want to "get cruisin'." I want to start touring. WIth Auckland to Sydney I get to do just that. You start just that way. You tour for four day, then just when you are about to collapse from all those shore days, you get the beautiful fjords. Then two days on the Tasman Sea to relax, Melbourne and lastly a leisurely sea day to pack before you arrive in Sydney.

2. Look closely at the itinerary. What time do you get in in some ports? Last summer some of the Sydney to Auckland cruises were spending 2 or 3 hours less in ports than those going the other way.

3. Sydney is an amazing city. We loved having it at the end of our cruise after those three sea days. We got there and we were relaxed and well prepared for three days of seeing one of the most incredible cities we have ever been in. This would not have been true had we gone the other direction. Besides being tired from touring Tauranga and Bay of Islands when we arrived in Auckland, Auckland is NO SYDNEY. We liked Auckland but would not go back. We can't wait to go back to Sydney.

When we get back from any cruise we always do a full review and website with pics and more. You can see ours here if it will help in your planning. We have some very specific recommendations on it: http://web.mac.com/jimbellomo/Down_Under/Home.html

Have a great trip. We envy you. We loved both Australia and New Zealand.

Jim

Thank you

Agree with Jim/DrKoob that, ideally, Auckland to Sydney has more pluses. BUT, we just booked a 2014 cruise going Sydney to Auckland. Why? It is a 14-day cruise with Celebrity that better fits on timing needs for later January and early February. Being 14-days (versus their normal 12-day offerings from this cruise line), it gives us two extra stops in New Zealand at Napier/Hawke's Bay and Bay of Islands.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We are considering that cruise on the Solstice for January 2014. The 14 day cruise from Sydney to Auckland includes an overnight in Sydney but does not stop in Melbourne, whereas the 14 day reverse cruise from Auckland has a stop in Melbourne but does not overnight in Sydney. Not sure yet if we want to give up visiting Melbourne.

Thank you all for your responses. For a variety of reasons, we have booked the March 2013 Celebrity Solstice cruise, Sydney to Auckland. We will arrive in Sydney a few days prior to our cruise, then spend the entire day in Auckland once we disembark. I'm sure we will all have a great time! Thanks again for your help.

I am a bit confusedm about the message board. I posted the following on the Australia and Zealand Cruising message board, but not under the Ports of Call Australia board. I will spend much more time reading both boards to figure out the differences...unless someone has a quick clue for me! :)

Here is what I asked:

Hello, we are planning an Australia/New Zealand cruise and are wondering if there are any preferences for beginning the trip in Sydney, ending in Auckland, or vice versa.

In addition, please help me figure out which is best, port or starboard, based on whether we travel Sydney to Auckland or Auckland to Sydney. I realize there are discussions on the board regarding port or starboard, but I have found much of it to be confusing or contradictory. I guess I am just looking for some definitive answer, knowing of course there probably isn't one.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dana

Dana it would help if you told us your home country this might make a lot of diiferance re your fly in fly out Aussie

We live in the United States. Right now we are thinking about flying from LAX to Cairns, spend a couple of nights, go to the Great Barrier Reef, then fly from Cairns to Sydney two prior to our cruise.

We are considering that cruise on the Solstice for January 2014. The 14 day cruise from Sydney to Auckland includes an overnight in Sydney but does not stop in Melbourne, whereas the 14 day reverse cruise from Auckland has a stop in Melbourne but does not overnight in Sydney. Not sure yet if we want to give up visiting Melbourne.

Any thoughts about going to or skipping Melbourne?

Archived