Cane Garden Bay Beach - A great place!

Lsimon

We went to Can Garden Bay on Feb 22, off the Galaxy.

We left the ship between 9:30 and 10AM. A Taxi official directed us to transportation. Initially he was going to put us on a large open air taxi - a bit like a bus with about 6 wide benches. But it looked like were were going to be the first group on one of these. I asked if we would have to wait long and indicated we like to leave ASAP, he said that vehicle would be a little while and then directed us to a regular taxi (small van). Another small group joined us and we left right away - fare is $6 per person. It took about 20-30 minuites from the terminal to the beach. Over the mountain, and some fantastic views! The taxi driver stopped a couple times for some nice photo opportunities. The driver also arranged a return time with us for the trip back.

Cane Garden Bay is just a beautiful beach. It is not at all "secluded", but has many restaurants and areas offering chair rentals. Yet still didn't seem too crowded to be comfortable. As you approach, or walk the beach with your stuff, you will be solicited to rent a chair at a particular place ($5 each). But after that we were not approached by any vendors, although there were several places to buy things on the beach. Take your time and walk a little before you pick a spot. Some have more comfortable looking chairs and some are in the shade and some not. Further down there were some places that also had hammocks and umbrellas - although umbrellas seemed unusual as there were many spots in the shade of the hills, buildings and trees.

The water was wonderful, although a bit wavy that day (which we understand is slightly unusual as it is more often smooth). The beach is beautiful, clean soft sand on land and water - no need for water shoes here. From the beach you have a nice view of St. Thomas and St. John too.

We walked, and swam a bit, and had a great lunch with fresh grilled fish and coconut shrimp at a place called Myetts. Unfortunately our day was a bit short as our ship had a 2PM departure.

I'd definitely return to this beach.

I have some pictures on my photo site - click here

Lsimon,

Thanks for your review of Cane Garden Bay. You mention that it is easy to find shade. I am looking for a sunny beach.....would it be a problem finding a place in the sun??? Now don't laugh at my next question......"are there alot of fish in the water?"..... I ask because well I am afraid of fish....ok, you're all laughing!.....LOL......my son and DH don't mind the fish though.....so I'm just curious. Thanks for any input.

We sat in the sun. As you can see from the pictures referenced above, the beach is curved. Pick a spot where the trees/buildings cast less of a shadow and pull the chairs into the sun. Look here.

When we were there the water was very wavy. I don't think this is real common, so if there were fish you couldn't see them. In any event I think the beach here is pretty sandy, so there wouldn't be many fish like there would be in an area with rocks and coral. But as a result I don't think there is any good snorkeling right here at all.

Unfortunately if you want a beach with NO fish, I think you'll have to stick with a swimming pool. But I wouldn't worry about any fish there might be bothering you here. Again - we didn't see any, but it is the ocean.

Went to Cane Garden Bay via NCL cruise in April 2006. We took the open air taxi which was a little scary I admit. Goes very fast and the roads are in a very mountainous terrain. I was on the end so each time we went around a turn I felt like we would go over the edge. They also drive on the other side of the road so that was weird for me. But the trip was well worth it. We rented chairs. We got offers for foot massages but declined and weren't bothered again. Was very beautiful beach though there are chickens just behind the wall that separates the beach from some houses and it was different to lay on a beach and hear roosters crow! One word of caution, our transportation cost was included in our trip and when we were ready to leave the island and return to the ship, we were confused which taxi to get back on and a driver solicited us and when I told him we were with the excursion from NCL, he seemed to understand and told us he could return us to the ship. I am sure he would have but we would have had to pay. Someone from the taxi we were supposed to be on noticed him soliciting us and came over and told him we were with the excursion. They then offered us refreshments while we waited for the taxi to fill up and return to the ship.

Lsimon looks like you had a great day? Loved the pictures, I do have a question, when you entered the beach did you go to the right or left. I was just there with my sister, we went to the left. We were told that the snorkling was better there. Water was a little murky, told a storm was brewing, still had a great time. I am going back in April and want to sit in the area you sat. Chairs looked nicer then where we were, I want sun, and my husband wants shade a some nice drinks. We did a ship excursion, but will wing it on our own in April. Do you think we will have a problem getting a taxi returning to the ship?

...I do have a question, when you entered the beach did you go to the right or left. I was just there with my sister, we went to the left. We were told that the snorkling was better there. Water was a little murky, told a storm was brewing, still had a great time. I am going back in April and want to sit in the area you sat. Chairs looked nicer then where we were, I want sun, and my husband wants shade a some nice drinks. We did a ship excursion, but will wing it on our own in April. Do you think we will have a problem getting a taxi returning to the ship?

We went to the left but barely. But be careful, I think there is more than one drop off point as our friends said they'd come in a different way when they were there. We walked a little ways down, then returned to where we started and rented a chair right there. Looked goof for a mixture of sun and shade in the buildings shadow and the chairs looked more comfortable.

I never had the impression there was much snorkeling at Cane Garden Bay. In any event there was none the day we were there as it was pretty wavy, so the water had a little sand kicked up in it - too much to see good snorkeling. One sign there normally isn't much snorkeling: no equipment rental in sight. But you'll find no shortage of places selling drinks!

We had prearranged a pick up time for our return trip with the taxi driver who took us from the pier to the beach. So I didn't notice if there were any waiting taxi's available for hire there, but if there were there were not a lot. This worked out fine for us as we had a short day there (2PM ship sailing time) so we were on a fairly set schedule that day.

Have a great time at a very pleasant place.

Went to Cane Garden Bay via NCL cruise in April 2006. We took the open air taxi which was a little scary I admit. Goes very fast and the roads are in a very mountainous terrain. I was on the end so each time we went around a turn I felt like we would go over the edge. They also drive on the other side of the road so that was weird for me. But the trip was well worth it. We rented chairs. We got offers for foot massages but declined and weren't bothered again. Was very beautiful beach though there are chickens just behind the wall that separates the beach from some houses and it was different to lay on a beach and hear roosters crow! One word of caution, our transportation cost was included in our trip and when we were ready to leave the island and return to the ship, we were confused which taxi to get back on and a driver solicited us and when I told him we were with the excursion from NCL, he seemed to understand and told us he could return us to the ship. I am sure he would have but we would have had to pay. Someone from the taxi we were supposed to be on noticed him soliciting us and came over and told him we were with the excursion. They then offered us refreshments while we waited for the taxi to fill up and return to the ship.

Do you recall what the name of your excursion was? We just want to visit the beach and were looking at Beach Break but it does not say what beach they take you to.

Was very beautiful beach though there are chickens just behind the wall that separates the beach from some houses and it was different to lay on a beach and hear roosters crow!

:D This made me laugh! To this day I refer to Tortola as "the island of the chickens". The first time I visited there, I flew into their airport and was very startled to see chickens running around inside the airport terminal. And yes, free-range roosters DO crow all day long (not just in the morning). Now I just chalk it up to part of the island charm. Be prepared, when you are taking a taxi, to stop for chickens (and their peeps) in the road, as well as the occasional cow.

Now, I am getting in the mood for a BVI trip!

Archived