Last minute cancellation... does Travel Agent receive their commission?

Yes she does.

If that is the case then it is time for a new agent.... I got charged a $100 cancellation fee. I would have zero problem with that if they had lost their commission, but they are making and extra 100 because we had a death in our family.... think I have booked well over 15 cruises with them as well as at least 6 other friends booking with them to go with us.

If that is the case then it is time for a new agent.... I got charged a $100 cancellation fee. I would have zero problem with that if they had lost their commission, but they are making and extra 100 because we had a death in our family.... think I have booked well over 15 cruises with them as well as at least 6 other friends booking with them to go with us.

So sorry to hear of the death in the family.

Where are you from? The rules in different countries may be different.

If you live in the US, yes it's time for a new agent. You should not have to pay anything for booking/canceling the cruise, unless it's charged by the cruise line. Is it safe to assume you are under 100% penalty for the cruise? Do you have travel insurance?

My agent gives me perks for booking and doesn't charge me any fees. It pays to find a good one. Best of luck!

If Marilyn's answer is true for your particular TA, then I'm thinking maybe you misunderstood - she's saying the TA DOES lose the commission in a situation like yours. Unless I misunderstand something?? :confused:

If Marilyn's answer is true for your particular TA, then I'm thinking maybe you misunderstood - she's saying the TA DOES lose the commission in a situation like yours. Unless I misunderstand something?? :confused:

ok... i am now confused... I thought she meant my agent DOES get her commission... if my agent lost money, then I am good with the cancel penalty... they did the work, they deserve the commission...

You asked:

We had to cancel our TA the day before it left. Death in the family. Does our Travel Agent lose her commission? Anyone know?

Thanks

And Lynnes replied, "yes she does."

I think you misread her answer!

That's pretty unfair if your paid in full and you lose all of your cruise money. At that point the the cruise line made their money as the passengers whom cancelled didn't get a dime back from the cruise cost. It's unfair to the TA.

Did you misunderstand me - I said she does lose the commission. She makes nothing from the cruiseline.

This is making me a bit nervous. My Indy cabin in September is an adjoining room. We liked the location and asked RCI if we could have the room despite it being an adjoining one and be assured they would not change it. They said they wouldn't. Is it possible they still can?

Edited by pamrose228

Yes the agent does lose the commission unless you had insurance then the commission is paid back to the agent.

Wrong thread...nevermind

This is making me a bit nervous. My Indy cabin in September is an adjoining room. We liked the location and asked RCI if we could have the room despite it being an adjoining one and be assured they would not change it. They said they wouldn't. Is it possible they still can?

That's pretty unfair if your paid in full and you lose all of your cruise money. At that point the the cruise line made their money as the passengers whom cancelled didn't get a dime back from the cruise cost. It's unfair to the TA.

If the passengers purchased insurance and the cancellation was for a refundable reason, they will get reimbursed by the insurance. But I get your point and agree: the cruise line keeps all the original cruise fares paid, they can then turn around and likely sell the cabin to other passengers on short notice (double dipping) and the TA gets zilch. Not fair at all and it's probably why some TA's charge a cancellation fee.

We had to cancel our cruise for 4/4/15 because my husband got very sick. We did have insurance and are working through that right now. I certainly hope our TA gets her commission. She deserves it. After all, the cruiseline probably got double their money.