Fuel Surcharge Removed/Classy Letter

I got a letter from HAL informing me that pursuant to a deal with the Florida Attorney General's office, my fuel surcharge was automatically removed from my account.

Along with the notice, HAL informed me that I could book shore excurisions online now, my next cruise while onboard via an "onboard cruise consultant", and that I should fill out the online immigration form.

I am rather impressed with this letter. As the username indicates, I practice law for a living. I read and write legal mumbo jumbo for fun and profit. For a letter HAL was probably required to write me (pursuant to the terms of the deal with the Fla. AG) it was very well written.

The refund notice took about 1/3 of a page. HAL took the balance of the page to sell me additional services and products, all in a manner that flowed seamlessly.

I've never sailed with HAL. If their legal notices are this classy and well written, I wonder what I have in store for me in Copenhagen?

Rick

..........I've never sailed with HAL. If their legal notices are this classy and well written, I wonder what I have in store for me in Copenhagen?

Rick

I have a feeling you'll find lots of Danes there!;)

I received the same letter, actually two separate ones, slightly different

We received two letters also, along with a list of cruises they want us to sign up for! Since we are already booked for two more in the next two years DH says that is enough for now. Shucks!

And the refund works how? Who gets it? Fuel charge still seems to be in effect for a cruise we booked 1/30/08. Oh well.

Ah, but if you booked in May, the fuel surcharge would be even more than you are paying. So there is still an upside.

With crude closing today at about $120 and predictions that $150 is right around the corner, surcharges for everything, will continue to escalate.

Locking in a surcharge may soon be the greatest incentive to book sooner rather than later. And those rebooking at reduced cabin prices will need to be mindful that when doing so, they may be incuring greater fuel surcharges.

We booked our Alaska cruise to include air fare in Sept 07, we are going this July. .When I went to pay my final payment in April, they took off the amount of the refund,, but today they tell me that because air fare went up, they want an additional $600! My tA is trying very hard to reach someone at HAL to dispute this, but not sure she will be successful, HAL has us over a barrel! Has anyone else had this experience? This is our 6th cruise with HAL & have never had a problem before.

We booked our Alaska cruise to include air fare in Sept 07, we are going this July. .When I went to pay my final payment in April, they took off the amount of the refund,, but today they tell me that because air fare went up, they want an additional $600! My tA is trying very hard to reach someone at HAL to dispute this, but not sure she will be successful, HAL has us over a barrel! Has anyone else had this experience? This is our 6th cruise with HAL & have never had a problem before.

This is from HAL's web site. Given you have made final payment, something seems fishy.

Air Rates/Taxes and Fees

Air rates will be quoted at the time of booking and are subject to change until the booking is paid in full. The quoted air rates do not include Passenger Facility Charges assessed by airports (US$3 - $27), federal flight segment fees for each flight segment (takeoff and landing) of US$3.30, the September 11 Security Fee of US$2.50 per passenger enplanement (up to a maximum of US$10), and international arrival and departure taxes (US$3 - $100). Air rates do not include local customs, departure or other taxes that may be collected directly from you by applicable government authorities

Ah, but if you booked in May, the fuel surcharge would be even more than you are paying. So there is still an upside.

With crude closing today at about $120 and predictions that $150 is right around the corner, surcharges for everything, will continue to escalate.

Locking in a surcharge may soon be the greatest incentive to book sooner rather than later. And those rebooking at reduced cabin prices will need to be mindful that when doing so, they may be incuring greater fuel surcharges.

I thought I was going to get a credit because we fell into the dates covered by the letter, etc. However, within the last two weeks (we sail in two weeks), we decided to upgrade to a suite. HAL considered this a "new booking" so not only do we lose our credit (eventhough we originally booked in October), but we have to pay the increased fuel charges. Fortunately, the price to go up to the suite was a great deal. Easy come, easy go.

Thanks Hammybee, as we had made the final payment, I will certainly let them know their own policy. Will let you know what happens, I hate that they are trying to get more money out of us when we have already paid a small fortune for our cruise.

I thought I was going to get a credit because we fell into the dates covered by the letter, etc. However, within the last two weeks (we sail in two weeks), we decided to upgrade to a suite. HAL considered this a "new booking" so not only do we lose our credit (eventhough we originally booked in October), but we have to pay the increased fuel charges. Fortunately, the price to go up to the suite was a great deal. Easy come, easy go.

I do not think travel agencies in general are doing the best job of explaining and/or protecting the consumer from the risks associated with potential paid for ( non guarantee cabin) upgrades. So often, they are new bookings that wipe out dining preferences, waitlists, shore excursions and most recently makes one potentially eligible for increased fuel surcharges. The devil is in the details.

Yep, lots of details. Actually, our TA, with whom we've been working for years, explained all the details in writing and on the phone. Even by having the fuel surcharge tacked on, it was a great deal to take pay for the upgrade, and I'm going from a VF to an SZ?! Yes, it also almost impacted dining, but we took care of that. I did have to re-book my two excursions, as well. That is really the biggest issue as the prices of the excursions have gone up since I booked them. Personally, I think it's silly to have to do a whole new booking number, etc., to just go from one cabin to another for a customer who is already booked.

Yep, lots of details. Actually, our TA, with whom we've been working for years, explained all the details in writing and on the phone. Even by having the fuel surcharge tacked on, it was a great deal to take pay for the upgrade, and I'm going from a VF to an SZ?! Yes, it also almost impacted dining, but we took care of that. I did have to re-book my two excursions, as well. That is really the biggest issue as the prices of the excursions have gone up since I booked them. Personally, I think it's silly to have to do a whole new booking number, etc., to just go from one cabin to another for a customer who is already booked.

I transfered to a TA and the booking number changed. Even though I booked onboard a year ago, have the same cabin, booking on boad credit and HAL insurance (which has to be paid in full at deposit), HAL would not give me the fuel surcharge return. My TA called several times and was finally able to get half in OBC. My question is if my time is worth it to write a letter over the other $50.00 I feel should also be in OBC.

My excursion also got canceled, but I was able to rebook prior to the price increase.

This was all done while I was traveling on business and the TA apprologized for the excursion cancelations.

I have never heard of this. This air was "confirmed"?

We were booked inot the Pan Pacific for 2 nights, the morning that we are leaving I discovered ( I was checking our on line boarding) that they had booked us on the 6:55 am flight. Now we are paying $400 per night for the Pam Pacific & this would mean that we would have to get up at 3 am. I asked my TA to see if they can change the time, I do not see paying all that money for the room to have to leave in the middle of the night. When my TA checked into it, HAl told her that the airline prices have gone up ( since we paid in full 4/26?) and it would cost us $600 to change our flight. Now why would they schedule us to leave so early in the morning? There are other flights available. My TA is upset, she is still working on it trying to reach someone with some sense at HAL. Wonder if I let them know that I belong to cruise critic if it would make a difference?

Archived