Norway Fjord Help Please!!!

teets

My husband and I will be on the Celebrity Eclipse at the end of August this year. We will be visiting Bergen, Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, and Stavanger. We have never been to any of these ports. Are there any sites that shouldn't be missed or are the ports just walking around ports? Any information would help tremendously!

My husband and I will be on the Celebrity Eclipse at the end of August this year. We will be visiting Bergen, Flam, Geiranger, Alesund, and Stavanger. We have never been to any of these ports. Are there any sites that shouldn't be missed or are the ports just walking around ports? Any information would help tremendously!

Hi, Terry!!! I really like your first name. A super great one! Wonderful choice by your parents. Below from my live/blog, you can see lots more info, details and pictures on Bergen, Flam, Geiranger and Alesund. Plus, I have some info noted below.

Be sure to use the "SEARCH" function on these boards for each of the various cities/ports you are going to visit. There have been lots of different posts, photos, etc., posted earlier that can help you get a sense of your many options in these ports. Don't be shy! Ask questions. Lots to share and learn from previous travels to these great cities of the Baltics. Also grab, maybe from your library or a book transfer they can do for you, such good visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc., can work well, too. No one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely. These resources, especially the visuals one, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see.

Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” The chief attraction here is the 68-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

As the seat of Norway’s medieval kingdom of Norway for six centuries, Bergen is a former Viking stronghold encircled by deep fjords, towering mountains, and sweeping glaciers. Today's Bergen has much of the medieval flavor remaining around Bergen's harbor. We explored the cobblestone streets, saw its pastel-color wooden houses, bargained in some of the many artisans' workshops and visited the famous and always-entertaining Fish Market. You can watch the locals haggling over today's catch and enjoy a quayside lunch of freshly caught salmon or fish and chips.

Rated by Frommers as more scenic than Oslo, Bergen was the base of the medieval Hanseatic merchants. Those historic timbered houses are set around Bryggen or The Wharf, a center for crafts and workshops. Its prime row is mostly reconstructed 14th-century structures, some of which were originally destroyed by fire. Det Hansseatiske Museum depicts commercial life on the wharf in the early 18th century and is highly rates with well-preserved wooden structure. Its art museums are highly-rated with religious icons, local art, etc.

In the afternoon, after some of the big crowds had lessened, we took the Floibanen funicular railway to the top of a 1050-foot high peak for scenic views. This cable car has been operating for over 80 years and was refurbished in 2002. The Funicular Lower Station is situated 150 meters from the Fish Market. At the top of the Mount Floyen, there are hiking trails and places for lunch or dinner. The trip takes seven minutes and both cars are on the same cable going up and down. Mariakirken or St. Mary’s Church is the most outstanding Romanesque church in Norway. Bergen is Norway’s largest port and has a population of 252,000. Scenic Bergen completed our voyage with its dramatic backdrop of seven rounded mountains and cobble-stoned streets. It entices you to take memories and photos cherishing the land of the Norsemen.

Their good and helpful Tourism Office can be accessed on the web at: http://www.visitbergen.com/en

Alesund’s architecture is characterized by its turrets, spires, medieval-romantic frontages . and other whimsical touches that give this town its distinctive style. It is like something from a fairytale. On the night of January 23, 1904, the town, built largely of wood, was totally destroyed at night by gale-aided flames. Only one person died, but more than 10,000 people were left without shelter. Germany’s Kaiser Wilhelm vacationed nearby and sent four warships with materials to build temporary shelters. The town was rebuilt in stone, brick and mortar in Jugendstil or Art Nouveau, the architectural style of the time. This design reflects a “romance with the past” and highlights Nordic mythology along its winding streets. To honor Wilhelm, one of the most frequented streets of the city is named after him. The town has an unusually consistent architecture, most of the buildings having been built between 1904 and 1907.

More Alesund area info at:

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en

Geiranger can be wonderful. Getting "up country" from that port can be a real plus, if that's of interest. Tell us more on your interests, past Europe travels, etc.

Reactions?? Questions?? Other needs? Lots more on the full blog below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 96,194 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are a couple of highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. We then exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor, plus nearby scenic areas, etc.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. :

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

Thanks so much Terry, this was very helpful!

Happy to share more. Keep researching and planning. It will be very helpful for when you do your actual trip and that experience.

See you did the Carnival Triumph in 2001. Assume you were not on their recent sailing in the Gulf of Mexico. Bad, bad times for the Carnival/Costa people. Three terrible problems in the last three years.

For the Celebrity Eclipse, below is one of my favorite areas on these Solstice-class ships. Plus a couple more pictures/options in and around Geiranger.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 119,944 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

At the Videseter Hotel where we had lunch on the way to Geiranger, we saw a spectacular waterfall and then a cute sheep (up close and personal) at this scenic high mountain elevation location.:

FjordsHotelWaterfall.jpg

FjordSheepFace.jpg

Here is a different view as you are sailing from Geiranger and approaching the famed “Seven Sisters”. This is the view from the top of the ship as we are turning in this narrow fjord and first seeing some of this famous waterfall. Great majesty from nature in an amazing setting. This is the 39th tallest waterfall in Norway. The waterfall consists of seven separate streams, and it is located four miles west of Geiranger. The tallest of the seven has a free fall that measures 820’. The total height above the water from the top is 1,350'. The legend is that the seven sisters dance playfully down the mountain, while a single waterfall opposite, the Suitor, a male onlooker, flirts playfully from across the fjord.:

GeirFjord7SistersApproach.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not to hijack the thread because i do think it pertains to OP. We are going to be docked in alesund for 12hrs. Based on the cruise excursions (what I normally base our family activities off of.) Lots of shopping and admiring the town but not much else listed.

With that much time I'd love for our very active family to hike or kayak but shopping for.12hours is not an option.

So I'd love some suggestions for alesund/geiranger

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Not to hijack the thread because i do think it pertains to OP. We are going to be docked in alesund for 12hrs. Based on the cruise excursions (what I normally base our family activities off of.) Lots of shopping and admiring the town but not much else listed.

With that much time I'd love for our very active family to hike or kayak but shopping for.12hours is not an option.

So I'd love some suggestions for alesund/geiranger

12 hours in Aalesund it lots of time. I guess the long stay is because of tours to Geiranger, The Troll road etc.

Walking around town is pleasant but it can easily be done in an hour or so.

If you like to hike you should walk the 418 steps up to the mountain of Aksla.

There is a viewpoint and restaurant at Aksla and this is where you will get a panoramic view of the town and the surrounding islands, fjords and mountains.

It well worth a visit.

There is a company arranging Wildlife sea safaris, trips by RIB etc. They also have kayaks and bikes for rental.

http://www.62.no/sightseeing-2013/3638/0/

If you are interested in history you can visit the Sunnmore Museum.

Its located a 5 minutes drive/20 minutes bike ride outside town.

Most of the museum is set outdoors in beautiful surroundings and it contains mostly old houses, farms etc - it will tell you the history of the people that lived in the area hundred of years ago.

Other places that might be worth a visit is the Atlanterhavs park which is a large aquarium.

You could also visit the islands outside Alesund - Giske and Alnes is interesting remote and rugged.

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/

In Geiranger you can also rent kayaks. I have never done this but it must be wonderful to kayak in the fjord.

In Geiranger you also have many hikes.

One of a favorite is the hike to a waterfall which you can walk behind.

62 nord replied to my email and confirmed no tours until 24 June.

so looks like hiking and shopping it is

Bummer - I am surprised they don't start before the end of June.

The season usually starts i May.

I was sure they rent Kayaks and bikes.

62 nord replied to my email and confirmed no tours until 24 June.

so looks like hiking and shopping it is

Well, if you are experienced hikers you could hike the "Sukkertoppen" (the sugar mountain)

Its situated a short drive from the port. I suppose you could walk to the mountain and the trail in about 20 minutes.

Here is a link to a description.

http://www.westcoastpeaks.com/Peaks/sukkertoppen.html

From Sukkertoppen (The Sugar Top), you can get a magnificent view with both city, coast and fjord in one! From the centre of Ålesund you can drive, bicycle or take the local bus to Hessa and eventually park at the primary school, just west of the roundabout in Hessaskaret. Cross the road above the school and follow the Sukkertoppvegen westwards until you find the sign where the path starts, at the right by number 22. The path is gravelled in the beginning, passes a grove and the path is clearly visible (but might be wet and dirty) all the way to the top. You are past half the way when passing the transmitter mast. An unforgettable view expects you!

Hello I Cruiser,

Apologies to the person who started this thread but I will be in Olden on 9 July. The ship is only running a long walking trip to the Briksdal glacier probably so as not to use the Troll cars. Can you point me in the direction of a web site where a bus and troll car trip to the glacier can be arranged .

Hello I Cruiser,

Apologies to the person who started this thread but I will be in Olden on 9 July. The ship is only running a long walking trip to the Briksdal glacier probably so as not to use the Troll cars. Can you point me in the direction of a web site where a bus and troll car trip to the glacier can be arranged .

I have never done this myself but I found some information that might be helpful.

The links below mention some others websites that might be useful and also email addresses that can be used.

http://oldedalen.com/images/Oldedalen.pdf

http://www.oldedalen-skysslag.com/Engelsk/index.htm

http://www.briksdaladventure.no/en/

I am trying to find a bus schedule from Olden to the Glacier but so far without success. It annoying because I know there is one.

I know for a fact there is a "Glacier bus" between June 1 and August 31. The bus goes from Stryn to Briksdal Fjellstove (Its a restaurant/hotel) From there you take the Troll car and the last 500 meters you have to walk.

The link the the "Glacier bus" is broken so to no use.

The Troll Cars departs every 45 minutes from 8am.

The price pr. adult is NOK 185 (r/t)

For more information about how to find a bus from either Olden or Stryn to the Glacier you could email the tourist office:

mail@nordfjord.no

I hope this is of some help.

Lars

Hello,

In Bergen- the funicular is 20 mins walk from the berth ;go to the top and walk down? Go on the land train half way up the hill see the view and return to the town.

In Flam the railway is the main trip. You can get there and try to book tickets or google NRB about 8 weeks before arrival and book your tickets at Flam railway station or collect/buyat any port before Flam.At https://www.flambooking.com/booking2.aspx you can see ticket availability for the day of your visit. At Flam you can do a boat/bus trip with http://www.fjordsafari.com .

In Gerainger the trip up to Dalsnibba viewpoint can be booked with Geirangerfjord no.

In Alesund you can take the local bus to Sunnmore Museum and walk round. Go to the tourist office and they will give walks information. You can hire kayaks and bicycles at Dronning Sonjas plass There is another Land train to take you round.

In Stavanger mos people do the Lysefjord cruise which you book in advance or turn up and hopefully there are spaces at Lysefjordsightseeing.no or at the tourist office cost approx adult 360NOK , child250 NOK or family 900 NOK.This is at Skagenkainen opposite where you berth.

Cheers Roger

• 2 weeks later...
I live in Aalesund and know Geiranger really well so if you have any questions I will be more than happy to help you.:)

You have quiet a few choices in every port.

Hi I Cruiser

Could you please tell me if it would be better to do the bus trip to Mt. Dalsnbibba in the morning and then a scenic boat cruise or the other way round.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Lee

Hi I Cruiser

Could you please tell me if it would be better to do the bus trip to Mt. Dalsnbibba in the morning and then a scenic boat cruise or the other way round.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Lee

First I have to ask which month are you in Geiranger??

I would do the scenic boat cruise in the morning and the Mt. Dalsnibba in the afternoon.

The reason for this is because if the weather is cloudy in the morning it might clear up in the afternoon and you stand a better chance to admire the stunning views.

First I have to ask which month are you in Geiranger??

I would do the scenic boat cruise in the morning and the Mt. Dalsnibba in the afternoon.

The reason for this is because if the weather is cloudy in the morning it might clear up in the afternoon and you stand a better chance to admire the stunning views.

Thanks for the quick reply. We are in Geiranger on 4th. June and weren't sure if it is more likely to be clear in the morning or afternoon.

Thank you so much for being so helpful and for the wealth of information you have given on Cruise Critic.

Thanks for the quick reply. We are in Geiranger on 4th. June and weren't sure if it is more likely to be clear in the morning or afternoon.

Thank you so much for being so helpful and for the wealth of information you have given on Cruise Critic.

You're welcome - its nice to be of help:)

I am sure the weather at the beginning of June will be sunny this year. Normally June is a nice month.

The predictions for this year calls for bad weather in July....

Archived