Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   The Pub (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=684)
-   -   Fast Food in the UK (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1424900)

alphomegait June 5th, 2011 01:51 PM

Fast Food in the UK

I noticed on my 1st trip to the UK that there were many American fastfood places. I figured that McDonald's would have large footprint but Subway and KFC seemed to have a large footprint too.

I like KFC but just did not see it having as many KFC's as you would think.

Do people in the UK like KFC? Southern fried chicken seems out of place.

andy mac June 5th, 2011 02:11 PM

Fast Food in the UK

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphomegait (Post 29340571)
I noticed on my 1st trip to the UK that there were many American fastfood places. I figured that McDonald's would have large footprint but Subway and KFC seemed to have a large footprint too.

we love it.(well i do):):)

Albert Ross June 5th, 2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

I noticed on my 1st trip to the UK that there were many American fastfood places.

....unfortunately. Never been to a KFC or a Subway in the UK (and never been to a KFC or McDonalds in the USA either) so cannot comment. I did got to McD in the UK about 4 years ago; we were running late for the theatre and I was starving and it was the only option. It was horrid. Never again. I have been to a Subway in Chicago and it was quite good.

Elizanessie June 5th, 2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

I love McD's...especially in the US...I like how they have free coke refill etc :D

KFC we have all over Scotland but mainly in the big cities etc.

Subway...never eaten there but I know they are becoming more popular in Scotland.

Single Cruiser June 5th, 2011 04:35 PM

Most American franchise chains end up over here.. No Wendies yet but I think TGI and Frankie and Bennys started in the US as well.

Chamonix June 5th, 2011 04:51 PM

Like KFC? My 13 year old would live on it if I gave him half a chance!!!

Elaine0138 June 6th, 2011 07:46 AM

My first KFC was in Aldershot back in the 70's so they have been in the UK for quite a while

EJNutz June 6th, 2011 08:15 AM

I love KFC.In Milton Keynes, where I live there are 4 restaurants/drive throughs. I hate McD's, they appear to have one on the end of each street corner.

It is a shame that we do not have any successful UK chain's. They always seem to get swallowed up by the US chains.

John Bull June 6th, 2011 10:48 AM

Ahhhhh, so its the heathens on this thread who are responsible for the vanishing chippies. :rolleyes:

The UK is awash with US fast-foods, and doner kebabs, pizzas, & the like.
So pukka chippies are now much less common.

The invaders use long-life plastic bread, frozen fries, and things called mayo, iceberg and sporks.
I once accidentally ate the entire polystyrene box containing a Big Mac and didn't notice any difference in taste or texture.

And to satisfy the kebab trade, I've been told that sheep are now being genetically bred with barrel legs 50-inches in circumference, from hip to hoof :rolleyes:

Even a lot of the chippies are now chinese chippies.

And when I buy chips in Brum I have to remember to specify "no curry sauce".

I may have to emigrate to Belgium :D

John Bull :)

welsh-girl June 6th, 2011 11:29 AM

fast food

John Bull.... you mean that there is MEAT in a kebab :D :D

newport dave June 6th, 2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n'west (Post 29350621)
John Bull.... you mean that there is MEAT in a kebab :D :D

yes, next door neighbours recently disappeared dog......:eek::eek::

KFC's are excellent when you have a hangover....:D:D

welsh-girl June 7th, 2011 02:48 PM

fast food

Quote:

Originally Posted by newport dave (Post 29352063)
yes, next door neighbours recently disappeared dog......:eek::eek::

KFC's are excellent when you have a hangover....:D:D

newportdave---surely it's cheese and chips from Boomers on the way home from town- ahh, those were the days

newport dave June 7th, 2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n'west (Post 29364380)
newportdave---surely it's cheese and chips from Boomers on the way home from town- ahh, those were the days

Never been out in Newport for a nightout, far to dodgy and full of kids. But I have often frequented Dorothys in Mill Lane, Cardiff for Chicken Curry off the bone and chips...:D:D:D:D

BARBYDOLL June 10th, 2011 02:51 PM

It is a shame that we do not have any successful UK chain's. They always seem to get swallowed up by the US chains.[/quote]

Isn't Burger King a British brand? If not, it used to be.

Also we have lots of Pizza Huts, but much more expensive than in US!

EJNutz June 10th, 2011 03:06 PM

Burger King is a US Company founded in Florida in 1955.

Pizza Hut is also a US Company, a subsidiary of Yum Brands Inc.

gosport11 June 10th, 2011 03:27 PM

Not so fast food but still a chain is Nando s chicken,our burger king has just shut down :eek::eek: i do like a kentucky chicken tho :):)

agabbymama June 10th, 2011 04:47 PM

For all the folks on this board that bad mouth McDonald's, they seem to be doing a thriving business all over the whole World.

I'm from Southern California, and I was astounded in Sydney Australia in 1995, to see a McCafe with coffees, lattes, cappucinos, etc. and it was packed. Our McD's didn't have that sort of thing then. Now it's all the rage.

And in Budapest Hungary, an old Central Train Station was rejuvenated as a McDonalds. The elegant chandeliers and gorgeous wood isn't found at any McDs I've been to here in the States. It was gorgeous, and it was packed with folks.

I was all set to read about local "fish & chips" places. That's my idea of fast food in England. Happy travels to all.

newport dave June 11th, 2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newport dave (Post 29365959)
Never been out in Newport for a nightout, far to dodgy and full of kids. But I have often frequented Dorothys in Caroline Street(edited), Cardiff for Chicken Curry off the bone and chips...:D:D:D:D

http://www.stagnightuk.com/files/photo0236.jpg

Caroline Street in Cardiff City Centre early hours of the morning ie 3am. Commonly known locally as 'Chip Alley' as it's just a street of takeaways.

Saruman June 13th, 2011 07:55 PM

Alas, we came for holidays in the UK, in part, to escape such things as the neon fast food signs. The occasional Little Chef or Happy Eater sufficed for a quick bite before heading back to the motorway when crossing the UK, but fast food for us usually meant a village pub or a chippy or a bakery with filled baps or sausage rolls...or Cornish pasties in The West.

On behalf of all Anglophile Yanks, we apologize for our countrymen who transplanted the burgers and pizzas and chicken joints to your shores....although some of you seem to have taken to the fried chicken parts.

jocap June 15th, 2011 05:35 PM

It's the batter that tempts people....fried fish or chicken in batter is always popular with kids- I know someone who even batters veg, so kids will eat it.
We always have breakfast at MacDonald's in Southampton before a cruise- they use real back bacon in their bacon butties, not that fatty, streaky stuff that you can get on ships.....A bacon butty, a bowl of porridge and a coffee- much cheaper than the hotels.
Jo.