Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   P&O Cruises ( UK ) (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   New embarkation system (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2563471)

P&O SUE November 12th, 2017 08:35 AM

New embarkation system
 
Hello all, can someone explain to me how the system now works with registering a credit card on embarkation.
Iíve seen a few posts on Facebook but sometimes information is not clear there! Apparently you have to put your pin in now when you register your card.

One poor person has had problems as the system is having teething problems and doesnít seem to Ďlikeí Barclaycards! She couldnít buy anything from the shops and bars onboard.

Anyone had recent experience please? Iíve not had any information from P&O about this and my next cruise is on February.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

humpy November 12th, 2017 08:45 AM

You check in as normal but instead of the check in staff swiping your card as they used to do you put your card into the card reader and enter your pin just as if you were purchasing anything at home,they take £50.00 from your card and you then carry on as normal,Iíve not had any problems but one passenger in the next line couldnít get his card to register.


Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bronte30 November 12th, 2017 08:59 AM

It happened to me. I had to try 2 different cards before it would accept. Received a letter asking me to go to reception.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P&O SUE November 12th, 2017 09:04 AM

Thanks both for your replies! Hmm sounds like fun if it doesn't work! I normally go with my husband and he registers his card :cool: but next year I'm going with a friend so I'd better take a couple in case one doesn't work!
I pity people who only take one or only have one and it doesn't work! I normally don't carry much cash also.

P&O SUE November 12th, 2017 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humpy (Post 54532285)
You check in as normal but instead of the check in staff swiping your card as they used to do you put your card into the card reader and enter your pin just as if you were purchasing anything at home,they take £50.00 from your card and you then carry on as normal,Iíve not had any problems but one passenger in the next line couldnít get his card to register.


Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another thought - what if you spend less than £50? We had such a good deal on OBC last year our final bill was £30! Not that I anticipate that happening again in the near future!

humpy November 12th, 2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P&O SUE (Post 54532385)
Another thought - what if you spend less than £50? We had such a good deal on OBC last year our final bill was £30! Not that I anticipate that happening again in the near future!



I imagine they will give any surplus back after the cruise Iíve never been that lucky lol [emoji23]


Sent from my iPad using Forums

P&O SUE November 12th, 2017 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humpy (Post 54532398)
I imagine they will give any surplus back after the cruise Iíve never been that lucky lol [emoji23]


Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, no nor me usually!

humpy November 12th, 2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P&O SUE (Post 54532466)
Well, no nor me usually!



[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BrianI November 12th, 2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humpy (Post 54532285)
You check in as normal but instead of the check in staff swiping your card as they used to do you put your card into the card reader and enter your pin just as if you were purchasing anything at home,they take £50.00 from your card and you then carry on as normal,Iíve not had any problems but one passenger in the next line couldnít get his card to register.


Sent from my iPad using Forums

The £50 is not charged to your card. It is a pre authorisation to ensure you have the funds to pay.


https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/pay_onboard

If your on board spend exceeds £50, then your preauthorisation is increased on a daily basis.

Your credit card is only charged at the end of your cruise.

Brian

shallwe November 12th, 2017 10:10 AM

This could be interesting. When we embark on Britannia next March my daughter and her family go to priority boarding due to my grandsons disability. My wife, son and I go through normal boarding.
However, my daughter will be registering their cabin against my credit card but I won't be in the same queue.
Hmmm. I wonder how this is going to work?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

humpy November 12th, 2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shallwe (Post 54532779)
This could be interesting. When we embark on Britannia next March my daughter and her family go to priority boarding due to my grandsons disability. My wife, son and I go through normal boarding.
However, my daughter will be registering their cabin against my credit card but I won't be in the same queue.
Hmmm. I wonder how this is going to work?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app



I would just tell that to the person giving out the embarkation cards and say we have to check in together



Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HomelessBear November 12th, 2017 10:42 AM

This sounds a bit worrying. DH always uses his credit card at checkin for us both, so what will happen if it wonít register - not our fault but the ďsystemĒ.? I donít want to take my card and DH only has the one.
Should we be worried?

humpy November 12th, 2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomelessBear (Post 54533009)
This sounds a bit worrying. DH always uses his credit card at checkin for us both, so what will happen if it wonít register - not our fault but the ďsystemĒ.? I donít want to take my card and DH only has the one.
Should we be worried?



I wouldnít worry they will get it sorted on the ship



Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HomelessBear November 12th, 2017 10:50 AM

Ok thank you.

shallwe November 12th, 2017 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humpy (Post 54532842)
I would just tell that to the person giving out the embarkation cards and say we have to check in together



Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We tried to arrange embarkation together for this on the phone and email with P&O but they refused point blank. They would only allow my daughter's family (3 of them) to embark together as priority.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

humpy November 12th, 2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shallwe (Post 54533430)
We tried to arrange embarkation together for this on the phone and email with P&O but they refused point blank. They would only allow my daughter's family (3 of them) to embark together as priority.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app



I would have thought you could all check in at the same time especially as you are only using one card you might not all get on the ship at the same time especially if your daughters family have priority boarding.as I said earlier just tell the person handing out the cards your circumstances Iím sure they will try to help as itís in their interest to get everybody on ASAP [emoji3]


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Selbourne November 12th, 2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shallwe (Post 54533430)
We tried to arrange embarkation together for this on the phone and email with P&O but they refused point blank. They would only allow my daughter's family (3 of them) to embark together as priority.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Just to be clear, being disabled does not get you Ďpriorityí boarding. You only get that if you are in a suite or Caribbean tier or above loyalty status. I think you are referring to ĎAssisted Embarkationí where a wheelchair pusher is provided. As people awaiting that service are held in a small area, extended groups cannot all wait here. It is important to note that Assisted Embarkation does not necessarily get you on board quicker. People are generally still boarded in order of boarding time as and when Ďpushersí are available. Sometimes itís quicker and sometimes not because, sadlly, it is abused by people who donít really need it but think that itís a short cut.

Given the size of your group, I would suggest that you all stay together and do not use Assisted Embarkation. It sounds as though there are enough people to be able to free up one person to push the wheelchair, that way you can all check in together and link the card to all passengers.

I should clarify that my wife is a wheelchair user and we often bypass Assisted Embarkation and Disembarkation for the reasons described above.

P&O SUE November 12th, 2017 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianI (Post 54532772)
The £50 is not charged to your card. It is a pre authorisation to ensure you have the funds to pay.





https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/pay_onboard



If your on board spend exceeds £50, then your preauthorisation is increased on a daily basis.



Your credit card is only charged at the end of your cruise.



Brian



Thanks Brian, I did try and search on the P&O site but their FAQ arenít as user friendly as they used to be!


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Florry November 12th, 2017 12:39 PM

We just checked in and entered a pin, no problems. I didnít see others having problems either.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

P&O SUE November 12th, 2017 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florry (Post 54533876)
We just checked in and entered a pin, no problems. I didnít see others having problems either.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good to know thanks Florry, the thought of only being able to have water and coffee on board was making me feel a bit worried!:D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 PM.

© 1995 - 2016, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.