Northwest Passage - Hanseatic & Bremen

mrlevin

I posted this question on the Canada board; 122 views and zero responses. I hope folks on this board that may be familiar with the Hanseatic and/or Bremen may be able to help.

This week the Hanseatic leaves from Nome, AK for Rekjavik through the Northwest Passage. Next year, the Hanseatic and sister ship Bremen will be doing Northwest Passage itineraries in opposite directions with a rendezvous in the middle. I am considering taking one of the Northwest Passage cruises but am uncertain of the "value." This itinerary has been on my bucket list for years; but it is expensive. Cheapest cabin on Hanseatic next year is over 18,000 euros per person.

Has anyone either cruised the Northwest Passage or spent time in the far northern portions of Canada? I know we used to have a cruisecritic member from Yellowknife but haven't heard of anyone that spent time with the Inuits.

If I see wonderful scenery AND wildlife; I think this could be worth it. If it is just for the history and some scenery and some birds with little wildlife; it won't be worth it. I had been planning on taking a cruise from Greenland to Churchill which is quite a bit cheaper and will definitely see Polar Bears and walrus; just don't know if Northwest Passage is really worth it.

Comments?

Since you are keen to see the Arctic Northwest Passage but are concerned about the cruise ship dear fee I'd urge you to consider a more 'hands on' and 'up close' personal approach - a private yacht!

If you google Northwest Passage 2012 or Northwest Passage 2013 I think you will find private yachts looking for crew interested in sharing-the-ride on their voyage of a lifetime.

Makes sense to me!

Master Mariner

• 10 months later...

Even with Hanseatic's shipyard fire, these sailings are still scheduled. Anyone on either of the ships? Really interested in reports as I will be taking same trip next year.

marc

Take a look at Ponant. I believe the L'Austral is making the Northwest Passage next year from Greenland to Nome. Their price is much more reasonable, is all-inclusive (other than air?) for US/Canadian bookings, and it is a beautiful ship. We sailed on her to the Antarctic in December of 2011 and can certainly recommend them.

We would be taking that cruise if we could spare 3 weeks next year (work always seems to get in the way of a good time).

The captain who sailed the Bremen on the Northwest passage showed us some photos and talked about the cruise while I was on the Europa recently (he is now captain of the Europa). It looked absolutely amazing.

Apart from that, the Hanseatic would probably be the better value as the ship is a bit nicer than the Bremen (I have only sailed the former but some other passengers who have sailed both said so).

Even with Hanseatic's shipyard fire, these sailings are still scheduled. Anyone on either of the ships? Really interested in reports as I will be taking same trip next year.

marc

I enjoyed the Hanseatic very much. The cabins are spacious and the bathroom well thought out. The main restaurant is quite good but the best are the specialty evenings in the casual Lemaire. Dress code is not too formal, most wear a jacket but you also see a lot of jeans and dress shirt. The lecturers are very good. Tips, tea/coffee, and ice-tea is included, alcohol very reasonably priced.

I attached some photos from my cruise last year.

Hanseatic.jpg.7eab3221a8ce242d7f49ce8ab9581f5a.jpg

P1010002.jpg.02241ccf4b33b811e2530ba3fa5ddca6.jpg

P1010004.jpg.56c1e47863b70bcd6c317cc4507596a0.jpg

P1010006.jpg.63bb66342fca6f9f0c89ca969631704c.jpg

P1010003.jpg.2643d87d30f3edc95a0e5b1429cd7178.jpg

Archived