Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   P&O Cruises ( UK ) (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Adonia - Azamara Pursuit (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2564269)

jeanlyon November 14th, 2017 12:21 PM

Adonia - Azamara Pursuit
 
Just had some advertising re Azamara cruises. I can't believe they are advertising Adonia (Pursuit) as a Brand New Ship! What rubbish. And my word they are expensive cruises. Inside cabin 3656 for 11 nights!!

jh1809 November 14th, 2017 12:51 PM

Yes, I had a look at Azamara's website the other day, and my impression was that the cost of cruises on Pursuit was at least double what P&O would charge for an equivalent cruise.

john watson November 14th, 2017 01:02 PM

If you compare Princess Cruises on Pacific Princess prices they are much more expensive than their other ships cruise fares. It is simply to do with the lack of economies of running a small size ship. When P&O ran Adonia, sister to Pacific Princess the P&O cruise prices were always surprisingly inexpensive. In the final analysis P&O probably were not making a reasonable profit from Adonia.

Regards John

Dartmoordan November 14th, 2017 01:52 PM

We priced up a similar cruise on the Pursuit and it worked out to be double what we paid for more nights with P and O we honestly could't justify the extra money. Which is a shame as we do prefer smaller ships.

alanbab November 14th, 2017 02:35 PM

Having recently sailed on Azamara Journey I can agree with you that yes it is expensive BUT very nice. Gratuities and port shuttles are included in the price. Also you get drinks included with a nice selection of wine and spirits although you do have to pay extra for high end drinks. Speciality dining restaurants ( 2) are excellent but carry a surcharge unlike those on Oceania Cruises. The 2016 refurbishment of the Azamara ships is extremely nice although we did feel we should have brought our slippers to walk on those carpets. Bathrooms of course on this old ship are small unlike the fabulous bathrooms in all grade of cabins on the Oceania Riviera and Marina. We have booked a cruise on the (new to Azamara) Pursuit however we are still very much looking forward to our next cruise on P&O Aurora.

mrbluesea November 14th, 2017 07:33 PM

Having sailed with both azamara and pando there is a clear difference in favour of azamara. Yes cruises on pursuit are more expensive, the one I have just booked is about 50% more than a pando cruise and for that I am happy with the benefits azamara offer. I am also happy with how azamara have marketed pursuit. But if you look on the azamara pages there are just as many people unhappy with the direction azamara are taking as on this page complaining about pando.
I would not look on the azamara Web page for prices though. Much better through a UK agent.
Happy cruising everyone.
,



Sent from my SM-T280 using Forums mobile app

NSWP November 14th, 2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanlyon (Post 54549980)
Just had some advertising re Azamara cruises. I can't believe they are advertising Adonia (Pursuit) as a Brand New Ship! What rubbish. And my word they are expensive cruises. Inside cabin 3656 for 11 nights!!

Crazy prices, Albeit complimentary grog on Azamara.:halo:

Cahpek November 14th, 2017 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbab (Post 54551066)
Having recently sailed on Azamara Journey I can agree with you that yes it is expensive BUT very nice. Gratuities and port shuttles are included in the price. Also you get drinks included with a nice selection of wine and spirits although you do have to pay extra for high end drinks. Speciality dining restaurants ( 2) are excellent but carry a surcharge unlike those on Oceania Cruises. The 2016 refurbishment of the Azamara ships is extremely nice although we did feel we should have brought our slippers to walk on those carpets. Bathrooms of course on this old ship are small unlike the fabulous bathrooms in all grade of cabins on the Oceania Riviera and Marina. We have booked a cruise on the (new to Azamara) Pursuit however we are still very much looking forward to our next cruise on P&O Aurora.

To @Alanbab, agree with what you said above as we have also experienced cruising with Azamara , and with P&O. Generally, Azamara usually caters to a different market than P&O, and the former competes with the likes of Oceania and Viking Ocean cruise lines. Someone commented the difference in fares between cruising on P&O and Azamara . (Without meaning to offend anyone in saying this), this is not surprising as it is almost like comparing flying Economy Class and Business Class, so there is bound to be a difference in fares.

The ex-Adonia, and soon to be Azamara Persuit, will probably be "re-mastered" and refurbished and upgraded in its accommodation.

Savy cruisers here probably know that there are different levels of cruise lines with different prices to suit different markets. Cruise lines are not all the same. Some cruisers would know that all cruise lines offer special deals, so if you are "shocked" at the rack-rate fares quoted to cruise with Azamara,if you are smart, you could probably be able to get a special deal and not pay the full fare.

Of course, Carnival Corporation, the parent company of P&O also have their premium class brand cruise line too, in the form of Seabourn. Seabourn is probably even more expensive than Azamara (in general) but they would argue that the quality they (Seabourn) offers is even higher. We wouldn't know because we could not afford to cruise with Seabourn, even if there were special deals!!!

Zombatar November 15th, 2017 11:37 AM

Thanks to our Adonia cancellation we looked around for another small ship. We are going on Silver Wind (only 375 pax) and we got a bargain price from our TA. Flying premium economy with Virgin to Barbados, a night in the Hilton then seven days in a balcony suite on Silver Wind and then a further three days in the Hilton before we fly home and we are still paying less than the quoted price for 11 nights on pursuit. Two weeks to go and I can't wait.

Peter and Jenny

Cahpek November 15th, 2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombatar (Post 54557380)
Thanks to our Adonia cancellation we looked around for another small ship. We are going on Silver Wind (only 375 pax) and we got a bargain price from our TA. Flying premium economy with Virgin to Barbados, a night in the Hilton then seven days in a balcony suite on Silver Wind and then a further three days in the Hilton before we fly home and we are still paying less than the quoted price for 11 nights on pursuit. Two weeks to go and I can't wait.

Peter and Jenny

Good for you. It shows it's always good to shop around -or have a fantastic and informative travel agent.

We learnt that the hard way when we first started cruising on our holidays. On our first cruise, we found that some fellow passengers who were staying in identical balcony cabins for much , much less than the price we had paid for ours. We felt like some kind of "suckers". Since then, we always look for good deals, compare with the competition for similar cruises and the fares they charge, look at what "extras" are thrown in free, and try not to pay the full rack rate/brochure price.

Silversea Cruises (which operate the Silver Wind) probably offers an even higher level of "luxury" than Azamara (Persuit). They are competing with the likes of Seabourn, Crystal, etc., etc. , the "ultra" luxury cruise lines. That is quite a jump up from Adonia to Silver Wind! You've got a great deal. Enjoy.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.

1995 - 2016, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.