Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Princess Cruises (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   ATM on Pacific Princess (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2564279)

memoak November 14th, 2017 12:45 PM

ATM on Pacific Princess
 
I must be getting old but for the life of me can't recall if there is an ATM on the Pacific and if so where it is located. Sailing in 3 weeks.

alanasgpa November 14th, 2017 01:51 PM

In the casino

memoak November 14th, 2017 02:11 PM

That is what I had thought but that casino is so small I cannot recall where it is

DrivesLikeMario November 14th, 2017 02:41 PM

Seemed to be working (surprisingly) fine at the end of August.

diane.in.ny November 14th, 2017 04:20 PM

My question is why you would want an ATM on board the ship? I would guess fees will be ridiculous. (Maybe someone here who has done it can chime in with specifics?)

Better to use the slots and charge money to your onboard account. Find a machine with a low minimum. I think some are as low as 25 cents and I know some are 40 cents.

Play 3 or 4 times, then cash out, then go to the cage and ask to cash out your card.

Even if you play a 40 cent machine 5 times and have charged $100, that is only a 2% fee compared to what I"m guessing the ATM fee. If you charge $200, you are only paying 1%. To my mind gotta beat the ATM.

Plus, you might win something :D

memoak November 14th, 2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane.in.ny (Post 54551832)
My question is why you would want an ATM on board the ship? I would guess fees will be ridiculous. (Maybe someone here who has done it can chime in with specifics?)

Better to use the slots and charge money to your onboard account. Find a machine with a low minimum. I think some are as low as 25 cents and I know some are 40 cents.

Play 3 or 4 times, then cash out, then go to the cage and ask to cash out your card.

Even if you play a 40 cent machine 5 times and have charged $100, that is only a 2% fee compared to what I"m guessing the ATM fee. If you charge $200, you are only paying 1%. To my mind gotta beat the ATM.

Plus, you might win something :D

I am quite well aware of how the casino works being a premier casino player. You should also know that if you do that too much they will cut off your access to the casino player account. I will be traveling and sailing for almost a month. I will be using Euros all of that time so I probably will not have alot of US cash in my pocket after trip. Will probably need some USD to tip out some crew members extra (over the daily grat) and have cash for a taxi to my hotel after the cruise. I have used the casino ATM's in the past and they have not been too bad as far as charges go.

diane.in.ny November 14th, 2017 05:07 PM

I am quite well aware of how the casino works being a premier casino player. You should also know that if you do that too much they will cut off your access to the casino player account.

Yup. Did that once by mistake. Charged to my account then decided not to play that machine. Withdrew it all and next time no EFT allowed. Not something I normally do (just didn't think about it) and was easily fixed.

I will be traveling and sailing for almost a month. I will be using Euros all of that time so I probably will not have alot of US cash in my pocket after trip. Will probably need some USD to tip out some crew members extra (over the daily grat)

We take a look at where the ship is continuing to sail. If in Europe, we tip in euros. (Otherwise, we tip in US)

and have cash for a taxi to my hotel after the cruise. I have used the casino ATM's in the past and they have not been too bad as far as charges go.

Is it a percentage or a fixed amount?

memoak November 14th, 2017 06:30 PM

I am doing a westward crossing so we will end up in Florida and the ship will be sailing Caribbean following the crossing so I will want to tip out in USD this time

Can't remember if the ship ATM was a fixed fee or not. I get all my Euros from bank ATM's in Europe and that has always been pretty easy and affordable.

Actually can't wait to leave

diane.in.ny November 15th, 2017 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memoak (Post 54552843)

Actually can't wait to leave

Have done two canal sailings. Loved them!

memoak November 15th, 2017 11:49 AM

This is a 17 day Trans-Atlantic not a canal cruise - have done 4 canals and they were great. This is my 3rd Trans-Atlantic

diane.in.ny November 15th, 2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memoak (Post 54557469)
This is a 17 day Trans-Atlantic not a canal cruise - have done 4 canals and they were great. This is my 3rd Trans-Atlantic

Whoops misread that. lol

We have yet to do a TA. On our bucket list.

memoak November 15th, 2017 07:14 PM

If you want to just relax TA's are wonderful - tons of sea days - we are on a 17 day cruise with only 5 ports - there are 8 straight days at sea at the end.

diane.in.ny November 15th, 2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memoak (Post 54561596)
If you want to just relax TA's are wonderful - tons of sea days - we are on a 17 day cruise with only 5 ports - there are 8 straight days at sea at the end.

nice :D

flamomo November 16th, 2017 08:12 AM

I am pretty sure I recall also seeing an ATM on deck 4, midship in the area of the Excursion desk and the Passenger Service desk when I was aboard the Pacific Princess last month.

I didn't have to use it on that cruise, but on other past cruises the machine transaction fee was $6 per withdrawl, and then there is you own bank's fee for using and ATM not associated with that bank.

Shoalwater November 16th, 2017 03:14 PM

Are you sure these machines are ATMs and not money changers? I know Princess has money changers on board for your convenience where for usury rates you can purchase new currency instead of walking ashore and finding an ATM.

Thrak November 16th, 2017 04:19 PM

On a recent 28 day cruise on Emerald we ended up spending more cash onshore than planned. By the end of the cruise I needed cash for tips so I used the ATM in the casino. The charge was $6.50. High but I was willing to pay it. Just be sure you get all the cash you want in one transaction so you don't end up paying that fee a second time.

memoak November 16th, 2017 04:25 PM

The charge to convert currency is really really high -since I will be using Euro's ashore in every port I will probably need some extra USD at the end for tips as well

flamomo November 17th, 2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoalwater (Post 54567322)
Are you sure these machines are ATMs and not money changers? I know Princess has money changers on board for your convenience where for usury rates you can purchase new currency instead of walking ashore and finding an ATM.


Having used the onboard ATMs from time to time, and seen "money changer machines", so I do know the difference between what the ATM machines and the "money changers" look like. ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:28 AM.

1995 - 2016, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.