Dress code on formal night on rcent Star to hawaii

oskidunker

Contrary to the belief of some, no one in the traditional diining room wore Hawaiian shirts for the three fromal nights. 98% of the men wore ties and 90% had jackets. Maybe 10% in Tuxedos. Mine fit great and I loved it!

Contrary to the belief of some, no one in the traditional diining room wore Hawaiian shirts for the three fromal nights. 98% of the men wore ties and 90% had jackets. Maybe 10% in Tuxedos. Mine fit great and I loved it!
That's pretty close to what I've seen on all of my cruises.

Thanks for your post, great infomation.:)

The stats posted by OP may be true for the Star, but not even close for the Princess ships I have cruised on in January and April. A high percentage of the men wore button shirts and no jacket. Some wore ties and many didn't.

Not to be (overly) argumentative, but we were just on the same cruise, and I'd guesstimate that at least 90% of the men in late traditional were wearing jackets and ties or tuxes. To me, "a high percentage" means 25, 40, 50%, or more. Sorry, but no way.

Just out of curiosity, I had a look at a photo I took of the Atrium on first formal night (below). Random selection of folks, some of whom presumably weren't even eating in the MDRs. When I zoomed in, I could only find two men out of two or three dozen who weren't wearing jackets, both of them just northwest of the champagne waterfall, and one of them was wearing a tie.

Which sitting were you at, or did you do AT?

Atrium.jpg.6903e9a46c263761d8acea2ea3a4f54a.jpg

Glad to hear they're dressing up somewhere! We just got off Allure and I have never seen so many people not dressed for formal night. Sure, everyone commented on how great we looked all dressed up, but I can say we felt a little out of place. that is the first time we have felt that. I guess it's just the type of ship.

We have discovered how to pack a suit without wrinkles! We just deal with the shoes so we can eat a great dinner on formal night. I'm easy with pants/skirt and sparkly tops. It is one of the last places people "dress up" for a special meal and I hope it continues. Karen

Not to be (overly) argumentative, but we were just on the same cruise, and I'd guesstimate that at least 90% of the men in late traditional were wearing jackets and ties or tuxes. To me, "a high percentage" means 25, 40, 50%, or more. Sorry, but no way.

Just out of curiosity, I had a look at a photo I took of the Atrium on first formal night (below). Random selection of folks, some of whom presumably weren't even eating in the MDRs. When I zoomed in, I could only find two men out of two or three dozen who weren't wearing jackets, both of them just northwest of the champagne waterfall, and one of them was wearing a tie.

Which sitting were you at, or did you do AT?

Well at least you concur that there were at least 10% of the guys in the dining room dressed in what could be described as less than formal clothing. Whether or not that constitutes a "high" percentage is a matter of opinion.

On our last seven day cruise at the beginning of April, I was surprised to see so much informality on formal night. We were in an anytime dining room, right near the entrance, so watched the parade of people entering. We were dressed for the evening, he in a tux, and me in a sparkly pant suit (I use a scooter, so long dresses are a problem). We saw about 10% of the men in colored t shirts, many men and women in jeans, saw only one pair of masculine shorts, but several pairs of woman's shorts, not short short, but shorts, and quite a few baseball caps. I didn't see any shaggy or "hole-y" jeans, but jeans never the less. By the way, most of the youths were dressed up, girls in dresses, boys in dress shirts and ties, but those that were not "dressed up" were people I would guess to be in their twenties and thirties. I had never seen that before, but maybe I didn't pay attention. The front podium attendants were checking cards of everyone that came in and sometimes making phone calls. I did not see anyone turned away......but they were handing out buzzers, so perhaps some that I thought were waiting, had been turned away. We hadn't cruised in a few years, so maybe things have become more casual, but the Patter still suggested formal dress for that evening.

Archived