How are the Small Windows?

laurmac

We are looking to book a Rhine cruise later this year, likely with Viking. For the dates we are interested in, there are no French Balconies, which we would prefer but the rooms with the high windows are available.

When we take ocean cruises (and I do realize a river cruise is very different) we often take inside rooms and spend our days in the common areas, watching the water go by.

Is there an indoor common area with comfortable seating were we can while away the hours with a book, or watching the scenery?

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

We are looking to book a Rhine cruise later this year, likely with Viking. For the dates we are interested in, there are no French Balconies, which we would prefer but the rooms with the high windows are available.

When we take ocean cruises (and I do realize a river cruise is very different) we often take inside rooms and spend our days in the common areas, watching the water go by.

Is there an indoor common area with comfortable seating were we can while away the hours with a book, or watching the scenery?

I was on Viking in November in a room with a French Balcony and in March in a room with a high window. You really don't spend much time in your cabin and there are a lot of areas on the ship to go and read and watch the scenery.

Even with the balcony we went upstairs to read and watch the scenery. Look on the Viking website and you can see what the rooms look like.

The lounge has floor to ceiling windows and comfy chairs andsofas where many passengers would gather to relax and watch the scenery go by after a morning of touringand while cruising to our next port.

Edited by rjscott

the small windows should be no problem.

Many start out with them and work their way up,for us because of budget constraints.Only problem can be noise of engines,locks,etc.Plus,can get very dark if parked against wall or another boat.Course,with balcony,can see right in neighbors room.One of the realities I DIDNT know about,so beware.

Now prefer the full balcony,like on AMA and Scenic.But ,hey,got to start somewhere and better than NOT going,right?:confused:

If you are on one of the older ships (and by that I mean, not a long-boat) instead a ship that is 4 or 5 yrs old like the Helvetia.....the windows are not high windows at all but more like half of a full length window starting about a foot below the ceiling and going down about 4 feet so you have a nice view. We did the Rhine last May and the Aquarium level was all that was available.....We did not mind it at all and we had no noise from anything. I am with everyone else - the best views are from the lounge, the library, the Aquavit lounge if it is a longship and the sundeck. You won't be in your cabin much at all.

Have only travelled with a French balcony on one of our 7 cruises to date... and have booked Aquarium Class on our next 2. We have always found a seat in the lounge (or on the top deck if the weather is nice) where we can watch the world go by....

Have not noticed any "extra" noise on the lower level... and not sure why it would be any noisier going through locks.

If you are looking at one of the new longships - the Aquarium class rooms are actually bigger than the ones with a French balcony!!!

Fran

the small windows should be no problem.

Many start out with them and work their way up,for us because of budget constraints.Only problem can be noise of engines,locks,etc.Plus,can get very dark if parked against wall or another boat.Course,with balcony,can see right in neighbors room.One of the realities I DIDNT know about,so beware.

Now prefer the full balcony,like on AMA and Scenic.But ,hey,got to start somewhere and better than NOT going,right?:confused:

We actually did the opposite. We started at the top and worked our way down :D. We only book to the 2nd or 3rd floor if there is a special sale/deal with those rooms. We spend so little time in our room that the size of the window does not matter to us.