26 Glacier Cruise - questions

Coral

Hi All,

I am taking my mom to Alaska this summer. She has only been there once and we had the most wicked weather possible and didn't do much due to that.

She is visually impaired and has a Seeing Eye dog. She can see large objects and I am hoping this is a great experience for her to get close to some glaciers (closer then a cruise ship gets).

I called the company today and they indicated that they have handicapped seating which will provide more room for the dog. I assume that is mostly for the meal and when the ship is moving.

I probably should have asked more questions but I hadn't fully looked at their website before tonight. Looking at pictures - it looks like there are 2 decks which provides inside seats and dining and both of these have outside access and the third deck is for viewing only?

It appears the wheelchair seats are on the main floor - which is often where we are put when we have a service dog. For anyone who has gone on this trip - can you tell me if is easy enough to get inside and outside on the main deck. My mom can do stairs but I would prefer not to have my mom going up and down the stairs a lot on this excursion (if possible).

For anyone who has done this - if you could provide some insight that would be great! From what I was told on the phone, the boat docks right next to the cruise ship pier - which is perfect for us.

I previously did a Prince William Sound tour several years ago but wasn't concerned about mobility issues as my mom wasn't with me.

Thanks for the input!

Theresa

It does dock right next to the cruise ships. Depending on the tide, the ramp to board is usually level. If not, the crew is there to assist passengers.

Thanks - the ramp should not be a problem. I just didn't know about the viewing area outside on the main deck. Can we go out there when the ship is moving and is it easy enough to go in and out with out having to go to another deck?

Thanks!

Thanks - the ramp should not be a problem. I just didn't know about the viewing area outside on the main deck. Can we go out there when the ship is moving and is it easy enough to go in and out with out having to go to another deck?

Thanks!

Phillips has sometimes, not allowed anyone outside, until the ship has slowed down/stopped. I'm not sure if they only have "one" boat or not???

Phillips has sometimes, not allowed anyone outside, until the ship has slowed down/stopped. I'm not sure if they only have "one" boat or not???

Phillips now has a second, smaller catamaran to do the Blackstone Bay trip.

Since these boats can really move (30 knots or so), standing outside when they are underway can be a quick invite to windburn; when it rains, it's even more memorable ;).

Archived