Changing of the guard in Athens

Hollywood Traveler

I think it depends on how interested you are. A "must-see" for someone may be a yawn for someone else. ;)

I was in Athens for several days and was staying at the Grande Bretagne, which is about half a block from where the changing of the guard takes place. I went up early to watch it and enjoyed it, but be aware it is very crowded and, unless you have a good vantage point, it's difficult to see. People will insist on holding their cameras over their heads to take pictures, blocking the view for anyone behind them....

I started talking to the Greek woman beside me, it turned out that her son was one of the efzones (soldiers) in the ceremony and she had been to every Sunday changing of the guard for the past 8 weeks to watch him. She was so proud. That was probably more interesting than the ceremony itself.

However, if you like that sort of thing, it is definitely colorful.

P1000196.JPG

P1000203.JPG

I thoroughly enjoyed the Changing of the Guard. Our guide went over the

history and meaning of the unique uniforms which was quite interesting. And, if I recall correctly there are 400 pleats on the skirts which depict the years of occupation by the Ottomans?

I thoroughly enjoyed the Changing of the Guard. Our guide went over the

history and meaning of the unique uniforms which was quite interesting. And, if I recall correctly there are 400 pleats on the skirts which depict the years of occupation by the Ottomans?

Yes thats correct - the 400 pleats are to commemorate the 400 year occupation of Greece by the Ottoman Empire (Turkish.)

Great photos cruisemom :)

The changing of the guard occurs at the top of the hour 24-7-365 -- but the best is at 11 am on Sunday mornings where the entire garrison attends complete with brass band.

It really is quite a spectacle get there early and at the front for the best view.

We caught the ceremony mid week at 5pm and thoroughly enjoyed it ! There were only 20-25 of us there to watch. This was last May so perhaps a slow time ??

We had just returned from the acropolis and headed towards the metro station to go back to the ship. But we had time to spare so we thought, what the heck, let's see if we can get to Syntagma Square in time for the 5pm ceremony. It was a unique cultural experience so I was very glad we made the effort.

We caught the ceremony mid week at 5pm and thoroughly enjoyed it ! There were only 20-25 of us there to watch. This was last May so perhaps a slow time ??

We had just returned from the acropolis and headed towards the metro station to go back to the ship. But we had time to spare so we thought, what the heck, let's see if we can get to Syntagma Square in time for the 5pm ceremony. It was a unique cultural experience so I was very glad we made the effort.

FYI:

From 2pm onwards its quieter because the cruise-ship tours have mostly already been there.

• 4 years later...
Yes thats correct - the 400 pleats are to commemorate the 400 year occupation of Greece by the Ottoman Empire (Turkish.)

Great photos cruisemom :)

The changing of the guard occurs at the top of the hour 24-7-365 -- but the best is at 11 am on Sunday mornings where the entire garrison attends complete with brass band.

It really is quite a spectacle get there early and at the front for the best view.

Does anyone know how long the 11am Sunday ceremony is?

Does anyone know how long the 11am Sunday ceremony is?

The ceremony lasts about a half hour, but you should plan to get there well in advance to get a good vantage point -- it gets very crowded, and you won't be able to see much or get a good photo otherwise.