River Royale just returned!!!

Lotsacruising

That's wonderful!!!!

Of course, I would love to hear all the details,:),

but for starters--on the days where there is a choice of tours,

which ones did you take and how were they?

Avignon walking tour/Palace of Popes or Avignon Secret Gardens?

Lyon city tour or Lyon Heritage walk?

Also, did you do an extension in Paris?

Thank you!!!

Welcome back! Do you have any pictures of River Royale that you could post? I would love to see the new refurb that was done. We are going on this cruise in August and really looking forward to our first river cruise.:)

That's wonderful!!!!

Of course, I would love to hear all the details,:),

but for starters--on the days where there is a choice of tours,

which ones did you take and how were they?

Avignon walking tour/Palace of Popes or Avignon Secret Gardens?

Lyon city tour or Lyon Heritage walk?

Also, did you do an extension in Paris?

Thank you!!!

each morning there was an included walking tour of about 2-3 hours. It was led by a local guide and the boxes were used so you could hear. Some afternoons there were optional cruises, but we chose to have lunch onboard and then go back out on our own. that is a huge advantage to being docked right in town.

• 2 weeks later...

we'll be on the July 22 cruise - we will likely take a few of the optional excursions on our trip (ie, the narrow gauge train through the Gorges ) but generally prefer to explore on our own.

Any "don't miss" suggestions? I'm assuming Avignon will require a second visit to explore...

I responded on another board about the distance and would not recommend trying to walk, pulling luggage. When you mapquest it, it looks close enough, but you have to cross a very busy highway. A cab is the best way to travel to the port.

B. Cole

Has anyone used the laundry service mentioned? Is it free, what about ironing or wrinkle free, do they fold? Any limits? We will be 4 days prior to boarding that would be nice to be able to "catch up" and not have to carry extra changes.

We are having a difficult time making a decision whether to cruise Burgandy to Provance with Uniworld or AMA Paris and the Rhine. I am leaning toward Uniworld because of the River Royale its looks beautiful. How was the itinerary? What about accomodations? Floor to ceiling wondow or French balcony? We could save $ if we get the floor to ceiling window. Also we want to do a pre extension to Paris.. Did you go through Uniworld or do the arrangements on your own. Uniworld is very expensive if they do the arrangements. Another question .. Do you fly to Paris? Thanks in advance.

We did the Rhone (River Royal) and Seine (River Baroness) with Uniworld last spring. We also spent a week in Paris before the start.

Unless you are absolute novices in travelling, recommend you book Paris on your own. It is much less expensive than a pre or post cruise visit with any of the cruise lines. Paris is very easy to get around and there is plenty to see. There are some very good private guides if you are interested. Recommend you try to get tickets for things you want to see in advance on the internet. Some places let you do that.

As far as the River Royal, it is a great ship with a great crew. Eric (I think I remember his name correctly) is the ship's "manager/boss/head honch not includining the captain" and goes out of his way to make the trip enjoyable.

The ports are fun and if you like wines, you will find some new things to try.

I don't remember much about the laundry. We are repeat cruisers with Uniworld and one of the perks we get is free laundry. They do a super job with it. Less than a day turn around.

Wish we were going again this year, but will we trying another route in December.

We are thinking about doing this trip in May 2013. We have already done three river cruises with Uniworld and they are top notch. Please write more about your trip, you have lots of people who are interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I will try to answer some of the questions I've seen on this board. But you can read all about the trip on my blog at http://www.riverroyale.weebly.com. There are a few photos but not too many on the ship.

Laundry: I used the service twice and it was quick and good. They do iron things, even though my things were no-iron. They put things on a hangar, not folded. A shirt was 3.50 Euros and I think pants were 4 or 4.50.

The only optional tour I took was the one to the Olive Farm and Les Baux. I loved Les Baux and highly recommend going.

Uniworld is wonderful. The food was top-notch, the crew fantastic. The tour guides were very knowledgeable and friendly. I'd take a Uniworld cruise again without hesitation.

I had the cheapest cabin, the one with two portholes instead of a window. The cabins are identical to the ones just above, only without the picture window. I never felt claustrophobic and thought there was plenty of light coming in. I didn't spend much time in my room, so why spend more for just a bigger window?

You do not have to bring toiletries like soap, shampoo and conditioner. They provide L'Occitane products that are great. You do not need to carry an umbrella; there is a large one in the cabin. Of course, if you have two people you might want another one.

WiFi is free and worked pretty well except for uploading photos; it's very slow. It didn't always work while the boat was sailing or in the locks.

I will be glad to answer any more questions. Happy cruising, Kathy

Hi Kathy -- Just a couple of real quick questions--

Am I correct that you pay the tips in euros and that they cannot be charged to your ship account?

Did you see any tables for two in the dining room?

Is there an "American" outlet in your room or do I need to bring an adapter to charge my iPad?

Would my DH look out of place on formal night if he wore a collared shirt and khakis or must he bring a sportcoat? (Be honest. I don't want to "rock the boat," no pun intended.)

Thanks!

Suzanne

Kathy, I loved your blog. We are taking the same trip next year May. We are taking a Paris Extension before the cruise. I am debating whether to take an extra day after the cruise. Next year the cruise starts in Lyon and ends in Marseille.

Archived