Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Asia (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Smile tour in vietnam with thi (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1102086)

cookie at home December 8th, 2009 07:21 PM

Smile tour in vietnam with thi
 
Can anyone who has used Smile Tours give me contact details for THI as there are so many agents using the Smile Tour name it is difficult .
I beleive she is extremely reputable.
My husband & i will be sailing on the SUN PRINCESS which leaves Fremantle Australia 31-MAY-10 We arrive in PHU MY 8-JUN-10 we would like to visit CHI CHU TUNNELS & whatever else we can fit in .

comcox December 8th, 2009 10:18 PM

Smile Tours
 
Website: www.smiletourvn.com
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Phone: +84 918209273

Above is for contacting Ms. Thi. Hope this helps.

cookie at home December 9th, 2009 12:59 AM

Thankyou this information is greatly appreciated i will email Ms Thi direct with my queries . :)

alanmal December 9th, 2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie at home (Post 22277084)
Thankyou this information is greatly appreciated i will email Ms Thi direct with my queries . :)

She handled my tours for Saigon, Hanoi and now I am in Danang, I met her Yesterday at the Rex hotel in Saigon, Lovely woman. I am on the Dec 2 Ocean "P" cruise

cookie at home December 9th, 2009 07:37 PM

Yes i contacted her yesterday & received a very prompt response. We did initially want to go to the chi chu tunels but she advised us to rethink as its 3hrs travel to & from & the actual time at tunnels is approx 90 mins which really does not leave any time for anything else ,..mind you Princess are offering this tour with lunch stop & market shopping which makes me think it would be cut short due to time limit in port & it was quite expensive also. Thi has suggested HIGHLIGHTS OF SAIGON TOUR ...i must say prices seem very reasonable & the more people the cheaper it becomes so even with the exchange { australian dollar to usd } it seems a good deal now all i have to hope for is more interest on the roll call ..as yet NO others & its just over 5months away!! { SUN PRINCESS SOUTHEAST ASIA EXPLORER 21 DAYS ROUNDTRIP DEPARTING FREMANTLE AUSTRALIA 31ST MAY 2010 } would be nice to get a couple more interested folk to do the tour with ..but even with just the two of us the prices are cheaper than Princess & from what i have read Thi is very reputable .Do you know if i have to pay in advance or on the day ??? my only concern paying in advance is if by some fluke we don't get there ...bad weather time delays etc. Any other advice ??:)

Jade13 December 10th, 2009 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie at home (Post 22284604)
Yes i contacted her yesterday & received a very prompt response. We did initially want to go to the chi chu tunels but she advised us to rethink as its 3hrs travel to & from & the actual time at tunnels is approx 90 mins which really does not leave any time for anything else ,..mind you Princess are offering this tour with lunch stop & market shopping which makes me think it would be cut short due to time limit in port & it was quite expensive also. Thi has suggested HIGHLIGHTS OF SAIGON TOUR ...i must say prices seem very reasonable & the more people the cheaper it becomes so even with the exchange { australian dollar to usd } it seems a good deal now all i have to hope for is more interest on the roll call ..as yet NO others & its just over 5months away!! { SUN PRINCESS SOUTHEAST ASIA EXPLORER 21 DAYS ROUNDTRIP DEPARTING FREMANTLE AUSTRALIA 31ST MAY 2010 } would be nice to get a couple more interested folk to do the tour with ..but even with just the two of us the prices are cheaper than Princess & from what i have read Thi is very reputable .Do you know if i have to pay in advance or on the day ??? my only concern paying in advance is if by some fluke we don't get there ...bad weather time delays etc. Any other advice ??:)

You pay on arrival. Go to your roll call to find others to join you.

cookie at home December 10th, 2009 01:17 AM

Thanks Jade , i have a roll call going but as i said no interest as yet with 5 months to go so fingers crossed .

lkohawaii December 10th, 2009 01:31 AM

I too am considering the Cu Chi tunnels with Princess. Anyone know how Princess can do it when it takes so long?

cookie at home December 10th, 2009 01:57 AM

Only a guess but i think the tour at the tunnels would be cut a little to save time or perhaps they increase the speed limit to get there quicker ...have been told the roads are very bumpy going there anyhow think i will now consider Ms Thi's HIGHLIGHTS OF SAIGON TOUR & save the tunnels when perhaps we visit Vietnam for longer non cruising

alanmal December 10th, 2009 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie at home (Post 22284604)
Yes i contacted her yesterday & received a very prompt response. We did initially want to go to the chi chu tunels but she advised us to rethink as its 3hrs travel to & from & the actual time at tunnels is approx 90 mins which really does not leave any time for anything else ,..mind you Princess are offering this tour with lunch stop & market shopping which makes me think it would be cut short due to time limit in port & it was quite expensive also. Thi has suggested HIGHLIGHTS OF SAIGON TOUR ...i must say prices seem very reasonable & the more people the cheaper it becomes so even with the exchange { australian dollar to usd } it seems a good deal now all i have to hope for is more interest on the roll call ..as yet NO others & its just over 5months away!! { SUN PRINCESS SOUTHEAST ASIA EXPLORER 21 DAYS ROUNDTRIP DEPARTING FREMANTLE AUSTRALIA 31ST MAY 2010 } would be nice to get a couple more interested folk to do the tour with ..but even with just the two of us the prices are cheaper than Princess & from what i have read Thi is very reputable .Do you know if i have to pay in advance or on the day ??? my only concern paying in advance is if by some fluke we don't get there ...bad weather time delays etc. Any other advice ??:)

Just finished a 3 day, Saigon-Hanoi-Danang, which she arranged for me, I paid her at the end of the day in Saigon for the whole trip.

alanmal December 10th, 2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie at home (Post 22287939)
Only a guess but i think the tour at the tunnels would be cut a little to save time or perhaps they increase the speed limit to get there quicker ...have been told the roads are very bumpy going there anyhow think i will now consider Ms Thi's HIGHLIGHTS OF SAIGON TOUR & save the tunnels when perhaps we visit Vietnam for longer non cruising

Tunnels are North West of Saigon, highway out of port about half way there and then 2 lane roads. I think the tunnels are the nly thing you will do, we spent about 2 hours there, there are other things to see before you actually go down in the tunnel.

cookie at home December 10th, 2009 07:49 PM

Thanks for the info Al think we will give the tunnels a miss for this time though and opt for the highlights of saigon with Ms Thi the prices are very reasonable & from what i have read she comes highly recommended for good service . Not sure whether to book with her now for just my husband & myself { with just over 5mths no interest on my roll call as yet :( } or wait a bit longer & hope to get a few more takers ..:)

alanmal December 10th, 2009 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie at home (Post 22296052)
Thanks for the info Al think we will give the tunnels a miss for this time though and opt for the highlights of saigon with Ms Thi the prices are very reasonable & from what i have read she comes highly recommended for good service . Not sure whether to book with her now for just my husband & myself { with just over 5mths no interest on my roll call as yet :( } or wait a bit longer & hope to get a few more takers ..:)

If you book now, you get the best guide, you know your itinary, which can be modified later, and ech time a couple joins it get cheaper for everybody.

Jade13 December 11th, 2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanmal (Post 22289745)
Tunnels are North West of Saigon, highway out of port about half way there and then 2 lane roads. I think the tunnels are the nly thing you will do, we spent about 2 hours there, there are other things to see before you actually go down in the tunnel.

So, did your wife get to shoot an AK-47 :)

Al, that is interesting that there are other things to do there besides going inside the tunnels. Right now we only have a group of four because I'm finding most people on the cruise ship are not interested in this tour for one reason or another. I guess it would be nice to know that the tour would still be of value to someone who had a spouse that did not want to go underground (I understand the drive there is through rice fields). So, what else did you see before gong down, film, etc?

greatam December 11th, 2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade13 (Post 22302523)
So, did your wife get to shoot an AK-47 :)

Al, that is interesting that there are other things to do there besides going inside the tunnels. Right now we only have a group of four because I'm finding most people on the cruise ship are not interested in this tour for one reason or another. I guess it would be nice to know that the tour would still be of value to someone who had a spouse that did not want to go underground (I understand the drive there is through rice fields). So, what else did you see before gong down, film, etc?

The underground part is a VERY small part of the tour. In fact, it is the shortest portion and the most boring.

The drive to Cu Chi is through/adjacent to the Michelin rubber plantation. There are a few rice paddies along the way, as well as plenty of water buffaloes.

There are exhibit boards showing the tunnel complex with the hospitals, dining halls, sleeping quarters, etc., all laid out on the info board. There is usually a demonstration of how difficult it was to find the tunnel entrances for the US. A Vietnamese dressed as a VietCong/ARVN usually shows you how small the entry holes were and disappears into one of them right before your eyes. One of the guides (not your guide, the Cu Chi guide) points out all the pungi sticks and other traps used to guard the tunnel complex. Before you leave, there is a display and souvenir store selling snake wine, VietCong hats and clothings, etc.

There is only one small section of the entire tunnel complex that is "westernized". Crawling through it should NOT be a priority, IMHO. It is dirty, moldy smelling and not the real thing, anyway. The War history and the inventiveness of the VietCong is the primary reason to go to Cu Chi if you have never been there before. I go now to the shooting range to fire the mortars. DH has a couple of AK's, so even that is no fun anymore. If you know someone who was a tunnel rat during the War, you can REALLY appreciate Cu Chi. Otherwise, maybe not so much.

alanmal December 12th, 2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade13 (Post 22302523)
So, did your wife get to shoot an AK-47 :)

Al, that is interesting that there are other things to do there besides going inside the tunnels. Right now we only have a group of four because I'm finding most people on the cruise ship are not interested in this tour for one reason or another. I guess it would be nice to know that the tour would still be of value to someone who had a spouse that did not want to go underground (I understand the drive there is through rice fields). So, what else did you see before gong down, film, etc?


She was shooting it at me, I was running into a tunnel. $18.00 for 10 rounds on fully automatic.

Jade13 December 13th, 2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanmal (Post 22314564)
She was shooting it at me, I was running into a tunnel. $18.00 for 10 rounds on fully automatic.

Too funny. 10 rounds = how many bullets? Is the range in walking distance to the tunnels?

caramelo December 15th, 2009 06:02 AM

We have seen similar tunnels in Peking, so this time we want to do a tour on the delta mekong and to the city.

Smile tour is for me in the moment the agency with the best service, because I contact with other ones aswell and they didnīt help me so much than Thi.

alanmal December 15th, 2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade13 (Post 22318894)
Too funny. 10 rounds = how many bullets? Is the range in walking distance to the tunnels?


The range is part of the whole tunnel complex, next to the gift shop in the middle.

alanmal December 15th, 2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelo (Post 22334265)
We have seen similar tunnels in Peking, so this time we want to do a tour on the delta mekong and to the city.

Smile tour is for me in the moment the agency with the best service, because I contact with other ones aswell and they didnīt help me so much than Thi.


Thi arranged everything for us in all 3 cities, the Chu Chi has more than just the crawl thru tunnels.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.

Đ 1995 - 2016, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.