Wrangell and Metlakatla - info on non-ordinary ports

new_cruiser

It is great to visit less touristy "180 degrees from ordinary" ports, but sometimes is hard to find info about those ports.

I've searched the Ports of Call: Alaska board for threads for Wrangell and for Metlakatla. There is almost nothing.

Do you think that Windstar will have activities planned for the ports? It isn't clear which points in the itinerary they will have the zodiac and kayaks out. Presumably not in the bigger ports (Sitka, Juneau, Ketchican and Haines). Perhaps during some of the scenic cruising days or at these smaller ports. I'll be on the first Alaska sailing and the itinerary doesn't say.

We are booked on the July 12th Islands and Inlets of the Inner Passage. Our itinerary shows that we anchor in Metlakatla and, therefore, will be taking tenders. In Wrangell, we have a berth. I agree that there is not much available information on these two places, even on Trip Advisor.

There are other sources of information besides CC. Try using google or going to TripAdvisor.com. You'll find lots there.

Like ridethetide, I've looked with google and TripAdvisor for both of these. Info is still pretty sparse. There is a little on Wrangell and almost nothing on Metlakatla.

We are booked on the July 12th Islands and Inlets of the Inner Passage. Our itinerary shows that we anchor in Metlakatla and, therefore, will be taking tenders. In Wrangell, we have a berth. I agree that there is not much available information on these two places, even on Trip Advisor.

My May 17 Wonders of Alaska and Canada also says anchored in Metlakatla and berth in Wrangell (and all the other ports). So I guess that means the water toys will be out for Metlakatla and not for Wrangell.

By the time you take your cruise, there should be some info from the earlier cruises. I'm wondering whether to look for an excursion that takes most of the day or leave time for kayak or zodiac trips.