How Many Times do You Cancel & Rebook a Hotel ??

Just looking for feedback as to what is normal for cancelling and rebooking if their is a price drop in your hotel. Last week I booked the Jazz for next Sept @ 140 E / night and noticed today it has gone down to 133 E / night. We are staying 3 nights. My TA booked this for us but does not appreciate it if they have to cancel and rebook everytime there is a price drop.

Also do you book a 2nd room 1st and then cancel your initial booking to ensure you have a room ? Never done this before and appreciate your input.

We typically book our hotels quite early and then periodically watch the prices. If there is a price drop we contact reservatations and ask for the lower price. This does not involve a cancellation to our original booking but rather a change in the price. There have been times we have seen the prices drop up to three or four times and get the reduced price each and everytime.

Keith

Thanks Keith for the reply. When you said "we contact reservations" did you do it by telephone or by email ? If by telephone is there a 1-800 type of # ? and what email address would you have used ? http://www.jazz@nnhotels.com ?

Thanks .... Dave

We typically book our hotels quite early and then periodically watch the prices. If there is a price drop we contact reservatations and ask for the lower price. This does not involve a cancellation to our original booking but rather a change in the price. There have been times we have seen the prices drop up to three or four times and get the reduced price each and everytime.

Keith

I don't use a TA for a simple hotel booking.

I watch the res myself and just make a new res on the web site then cancel the old one. It is quite easy.

I would not ordinarily book a hotel for September this far out!

I would book it in the spring as by then the early booking discounts would be in place for that time of year. Hopefully there would then not be so many price changes!

I guess I could use the hotel website and book another room but is there an issue when you go to book another room and they already have your name from the 1st reservation ? or is that irrelevant ?

I don't use a TA for a simple hotel booking.

I watch the res myself and just make a new res on the web site then cancel the old one. It is quite easy.

I would not ordinarily book a hotel for September this far out!

I would book it in the spring as by then the early booking discounts would be in place for that time of year. Hopefully there would then not be so many price changes!

Well , you could try it and see. You might be making a res for another member of your family so how would they know??

For a trip I have in May I booked one room for me, and then booked a 2nd room for my son to use. IF the web site won't let you do it then you will find out. Otherwise it will work and then just cancel your first res. Actually, since this is sooo far out it probably wouldn't make a difference if you canceled your original res and then made this one. I think you are overworrying about this procedure which folks do every day.

With hotels that I ahve made an online reservation on their website, I have done it as many times as the price has gone down. One time I did it like 4 times as they kept lowering their prices. I would do a new reservation and then cancel the old.

Why don't you cancel the reservation you did through your TA? I can't see the benefit and that way you have control of the reservation.

Don't know why you would use a TA to make a simple hotel reservation. You can do it very easily on your own using Tripadvisor for info. Hotel Jazz always does that with their rates which I find very annoying.We are staying at the Hotel Continental next June for 3 days and I made the reservation directly on their web site. To answer your question I would call them and change the rates. They do it so often I am sure they are used to people cancelling and rebooking.Forget your TA,not necessary.Are they charging you a booking fee?

Well, if you insist on letting a TA do your reservations it is probably polite to simply pay the few extra Euros. These days we would never dream of using a TA for hotels since its so easy to book on-line and modify a reservation with no hassles.

Hank

D&N I am in the same "boat". I have a reservation with Jazz which I made on their website. When the price went down, I emailed them with my confirmation # and asked them to adjust the rate to the new price offered on their OWN website. They replied by email that they cannot access that discounted rate, and advised me to make a new reservation on line and then cancel the existing one. I did that, then emailed them with all the numbers to make sure the old one was cancelled and the new one is active. They responded again that it was all taken care of.

I do not like to give my cc# out but I hope it is secure on their site. This was the way they told me to do it. I imagine the rate may drop again before next summer , so I will keep my eye on it. Definitely ,much easier to be in charge of your own reservation unless you are able to get some type of additional discount thru your agent.

I hope my experience with the same hotel helps you.

Thanks, that's exactly what I am going to do after reading input from yourself and the others. I have an existing reservation through the TA and all I will do is add another at the cheaper rate and have them cancel the initial one unless the Jazz can do that for me.

When you added the new reservation did you make it in the same name as the original one or did you have to use a different name ?

D&N I am in the same "boat". I have a reservation with Jazz which I made on their website. When the price went down, I emailed them with my confirmation # and asked them to adjust the rate to the new price offered on their OWN website. They replied by email that they cannot access that discounted rate, and advised me to make a new reservation on line and then cancel the existing one. I did that, then emailed them with all the numbers to make sure the old one was cancelled and the new one is active. They responded again that it was all taken care of.

I do not like to give my cc# out but I hope it is secure on their site. This was the way they told me to do it. I imagine the rate may drop again before next summer , so I will keep my eye on it. Definitely ,much easier to be in charge of your own reservation unless you are able to get some type of additional discount thru your agent.

I hope my experience with the same hotel helps you.

No problem using the same name.

The hotel can't seem to offer the discounted " advance booking" rate - that is the one they say must be booked thru the internet.

Seems like a lot more work for everyone, but at least we can make any changes we need to.

BTW, I even tried to use the " modify booking" option but then the lowest rate did not show up, so I had to book a new one at the rate I wanted, and then cancel the old one.

Please come back and let us know how it all worked out for you. It would be very interesting if you are told something different. Good luck.

Internet special rates can only be booked on the web site.

The hotel front desk cannot book that rate for you.

That is why they tell you to just go ahead and REbook at the lower rate. There is no need to keep your "real name" a secret.

You are not doing anything that is illegal.

You will have to have the booking in your name since you will show your passport when you arrive. You will be just fine!!

I bet after you do this the first time you will be checking rates

to see if there is another price drop.

NO worries!! Enjoy your trip!!

Archived