Excursions Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel with 16 month olds

Willow3006

Hi there

We are going on the Oasis of The Seas in March and stopping at the 3 ports of Cozumel, Falmouth and Labadee. We'll have our twin 16 month old boys with us and umbrella strollers. We won't have car seats as we're flying from the UK and with strollers too, it's just too much.

Can anyone advise any excursions they think would be suitable? I presume we would have to travel to anywhere on a coach so that they can sit on our knees and we can take the strollers?

Have you been on any excursions that worked for this age group? Or do you generally just stay on the ship?

Thank you!

We have made a cruise to western caribbean in 2011 with our 18 months old daughter. Our suggestions:

Labaddee: Have fun in the sun! It's quite a long walk from the kids, so don't forget your stroller. The walkaways are almost all the time pavimented. Only the access to the beach is in the sand. You can rent a cabana, but the lounge chairs have "roof", so they can take a nap after play in the water.

Falmouth: We made a excursion to a private beach in Montego Bay. Marvelous turquoise calm waters, some nice beach games and the food was ok.

Cozumel: We went to San Gervasio (maian ruins) with a beach break. With twins I would think two times to go there. The hikes in the ruins are not plain, with a lot of rocks. My daugher slept all the time and it was kind difficult to move from one place to another. As we are brazilians and my wife didn't understand most of the explanations of the tour guide, she took care of the kid...

That's our experience.

In time, the ship has a very good nursery were you can leave the kids to a meal for two! You won't regret using this service.

Sorry for english mistakes, I'm trying to do my best.

I've been to Cozumel about a dozen times and can't think of anything I would take a kid off the ship to see. One time we took our daughter for a "Dolphin Swim" there. She hated it (scared her to death).

Unless you want to get hammered drunk at Senor Frogs, or buy some questionable jewelry or a really raunchy T-Shirt, I wouldn't waste your time walking down the Pier. The place is a commercialized dump. Your best bet is to stay on the ship, you'll have it to yourselves. The pools/waterslides are easier to access then.

MAKE sure you have a good seat facing the dock right before the ship leaves. The best entertainment you'll have on your cruise will be watching the drunks running down the pier trying to catch the ship before it leaves! There are always a couple who don't quite make it, they have to tender out to the ship via some little Mexican chase boat. Then they have to transfer to the cruise ship while underway. Lot's of yaking going on during that little excercise I assure you!

As for the other ports. Been to Jamacia many times, but mostly Ocho Rios. Climbing Dunns River Falls O.K. but not for kids. If you slip on the rocks try not to ingest the water as it has high levels of Fecal matter from the open sewers in the mountains. If you're into Cannibis, this would be an ideal stop to stock up on lefties.

Never been to Haiti, so can't help you there. Other than to just say...it's Haiti...

Happy Cruising.

Smitty:D

I wouldn't stay on the ship with 16 month olds if you can help it. You'll have enough time on the ship. On your ship diapered babies can only go in the splash zone anyway and not in the pools so I think that would get old quickly.

We were just in Cozumel and did the ship's excursion to Playa Mia, an all inclusive beach resort. They had a nice splash pool for smaller kids (not sure if yours walk well or not) and of course, the beach. Our dd is 22 months and she loved digging up the sand near our beach chairs and going in the ocean. Since it was a ship excursion we were on a coach and she sat on our lap. It was a nice day.

We're doing this itinerary in 3 weeks on Oasis. We have a cabana in Labadee.

I love Cozumel, but don't want to spend money an a beach excursion when we'll have already done Labadee. Our usual excursion is Nachi Cocum (about $50 for all you can drink and 3 course lunch--love). So, we plan to take a walk around the pier area (even if you don't want to buy anything, it's a nice area to walk around and get a $1 or $2 Sol/Corona!). Plus, there is one particular drink at Senor Frogs I really like--the blue Hawaiian.

In Falmouth, we don't plan to get off the ship. It's the day after Labadee, and we'll use it to relax, splash pool, play time at Adventure Ocean (I am assuming the free play will be available), and just exploring. Hopefully also getting in good naps. My DD is 20m old and loves to walk/run--so while that is different for you, it will work for us to stay on board when it is much less crowded.

Loving the advice and tips. Will be on Celebrity Silouette in 11 days with my 8 month old. We have a cabana in Labadee but nothing planned in Coz, Fal or Grand Cayman. Please keep the tips coming.

Willow, try calling your cruise line that's what I did and was able to get cabana that wasn't available online.

Loving the advice and tips. Will be on Celebrity Silouette in 11 days with my 8 month old. We have a cabana in Labadee but nothing planned in Coz, Fal or Grand Cayman. Please keep the tips coming.

Willow, try calling your cruise line that's what I did and was able to get cabana that wasn't available online.

More active excursions (though not intense ones) will probably be easiest with an infant! Strap him/her in the carrier (not stroller) and you'd be good to go. :) Depending on how you feel about buses and no car seats/etc.

I've been on Oasis and Allure, my son was 17 mos and 29 months when we cruised.

We did the same itinerary on Allure when our son was 29 months.

For Falmouth, we did the Chukka Beach Break w/o food. It was sold out on Royal Caribbean's website, but was readily available when we got on board the ship. There was no charge for kids under 3. There is a pretty extensive review of the Chukka Beach Break excursion on the ports of call board. The ride to and from the beach was short and not treacherous which was a plus since a car seat would not have been allowed in the van anyway. We had to wait for the van to fill up before we could depart for the beach. You could return to the ship whenver you wanted but we had to wait about a half an hour to leave. I don't know if they leave on the hour or if it is random. The beach was nice, there was shade. They had two private restrooms that were acceptable. They seemed to maintain them too. The ocean was nice too, small waves when we were there...maybe 1ft or so. Also, we took the stroller with us on the van, it was a pain but the walks from the port area back to the ship can be long and hot.

For Cozumel, we did Nachi Cocom. It was a short, uneventful $15 (one way) taxi ride to the resort. Food was really good, beach was decent and I felt safe. It is often portrayed as an adults only type resort on the boards but they allow children. You can book this privately, they have a website. It was free for my son and when I booked they were having a price reduction so it was $10 less per person than the normal rate. I would do this again in a heartbeat but might try Playa Mia too since there are very positive reviews of that resort as well.

For Labadee, this was a no brainer since it is the cruise ships private area. They have a tram that takes you to the different areas/beaches but a stroller is still handy for the walk from the drop off point to the ship. The beach we went to was nice and had very calm water. Lots of shade. The lunch they offer isn't great, if you don't plan on being at the beach for a long time, time it so that you can eat on board the ship. All the food and drinks are from the ship so food safety shouldn't be a huge concern as it pertains to the little ones.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

I don't have time to read all the replies, but we are going with our 3 year old and 16 month old on Sunday - same ports.

In the other three ports, I've found that most independent tour operators have car seats. I looked on Trip Advisor for activities and emailed with a few people. We are doing a private driver in Jamaica (he is providing car seats), a car rental in Cozumel (again, car seats available for rent) and a boat trip on Grand Cayman - short ride on a large shuttle.

I just got back today from a cruise with my 16 month old to labadee (cabana rental) and Jamaica on independence of the seas. Labadee was fabulous. With the cabana rental you get 2 floats for the water and has perfect sidewalks for taking the stroller out during nap time. And plenty of shade, i got a 2 hour nap out of the baby so conditions were pretty good! My DD spent all her time playing in the sand and water, but they also have a kids water play area just in case you need more action.

In Jamaica we took the ships tour via taxi bus to red stripe beach. It was a cheap excursion but a great beach. The music played was a bit loud at times but DD slept right through it. It's all sand so you might not feel comfortable wheeling the stroller around but if you are there's plenty of dirt road to take a walk on or a long beach to walk on. And of course endless sand and water playtime. Even the lifeguards get in on the sand playing fun.

Have a great trip!

I just got back today from a cruise with my 16 month old to labadee (cabana rental) and Jamaica on independence of the seas. Labadee was fabulous. With the cabana rental you get 2 floats for the water and has perfect sidewalks for taking the stroller out during nap time. And plenty of shade, i got a 2 hour nap out of the baby so conditions were pretty good! My DD spent all her time playing in the sand and water, but they also have a kids water play area just in case you need more action.

In Jamaica we took the ships tour via taxi bus to red stripe beach. It was a cheap excursion but a great beach. The music played was a bit loud at times but DD slept right through it. It's all sand so you might not feel comfortable wheeling the stroller around but if you are there's plenty of dirt road to take a walk on or a long beach to walk on. And of course endless sand and water playtime. Even the lifeguards get in on the sand playing fun.

Have a great trip!

While your memory is fresh, how long was the ride to the beach for the red stripe excursion?

• 4 months later...
I've been on Oasis and Allure, my son was 17 mos and 29 months when we cruised.

We did the same itinerary on Allure when our son was 29 months.

For Falmouth, we did the Chukka Beach Break w/o food. It was sold out on Royal Caribbean's website, but was readily available when we got on board the ship. There was no charge for kids under 3. There is a pretty extensive review of the Chukka Beach Break excursion on the ports of call board. The ride to and from the beach was short and not treacherous which was a plus since a car seat would not have been allowed in the van anyway. We had to wait for the van to fill up before we could depart for the beach. You could return to the ship whenver you wanted but we had to wait about a half an hour to leave. I don't know if they leave on the hour or if it is random. The beach was nice, there was shade. They had two private restrooms that were acceptable. They seemed to maintain them too. The ocean was nice too, small waves when we were there...maybe 1ft or so. Also, we took the stroller with us on the van, it was a pain but the walks from the port area back to the ship can be long and hot.

For Cozumel, we did Nachi Cocom. It was a short, uneventful $15 (one way) taxi ride to the resort. Food was really good, beach was decent and I felt safe. It is often portrayed as an adults only type resort on the boards but they allow children. You can book this privately, they have a website. It was free for my son and when I booked they were having a price reduction so it was $10 less per person than the normal rate. I would do this again in a heartbeat but might try Playa Mia too since there are very positive reviews of that resort as well.

For Labadee, this was a no brainer since it is the cruise ships private area. They have a tram that takes you to the different areas/beaches but a stroller is still handy for the walk from the drop off point to the ship. The beach we went to was nice and had very calm water. Lots of shade. The lunch they offer isn't great, if you don't plan on being at the beach for a long time, time it so that you can eat on board the ship. All the food and drinks are from the ship so food safety shouldn't be a huge concern as it pertains to the little ones.

Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.

How did you get to Nachi with the babies? Online I see you have to take a taxi...how did you do that with the 17month old?

thanks!

labadee cabanas are very nice and great for naps.

in cozumel we went to an ecological park called xcarat. it had a small zoo and a boat ride, a beach and native dancers, and the coolest lazy river. i dont know if there are age restrictions on the lazy river but your kids could do the other stuff. plus there are small ruins to walk thru. http://www.xcaret.com/

Archived