Paying for upgrade to Business Class

glo3479

We are taking our first Regent Cruise in May 2014 and have chosen to pay the extra 1299.00 each / each way for the business class upgrade.. Now I am hearing that It does not guarantee business or better within the United States... only over the ocean.

Has anyone ran into a problem such as this.... due to my husbands knee we need the extra room in business

Any help or suggestions would be great.

We are taking our first Regent Cruise in May 2014 and have chosen to pay the extra 1299.00 each / each way for the business class upgrade.. Now I am hearing that It does not guarantee business or better within the United States... only over the ocean.

Has anyone ran into a problem such as this.... due to my husbands knee we need the extra room in business

Any help or suggestions would be great.

The reason they can't guarantee business or first in the US is that sometimes they book the overseas portion on a foreign carrier and the foreign carrier won't book you in first domestically. The solution is a deviation where you have Regent book you on a US Carrier. Can't speak for all of them but, think they are the same as United where if you are connecting domestically to an overseas flight, you are automatically booked in first for the domestic portion.

While I prefer foreign carriers, unless we are flying non stop overseas from home, always book United to assure us of first class domestically. Yes, this will cost you the $150 Deviation fee but, should guarantee good seats for the entire trip. Perhaps your TA can check with Regent and see what airline they usually book from your home airport and then make your decision. No matter what they say, you could end up in domestic coach when you get your flights at the 75 day mark and probably too late at that point to do a deviation.

Sorry can't guarantee better but, some ideas for you for sure.

p.s. You can get on a foreign carrier flight if you can find a domestic carrier that code shares with your foreign choice and get Regent to book with the domestic carrier and get the fligh on the foreign carrier. Just noticed that you are in St. Louis. Perhaps if you don't have a non-stop to your final destination, you can have Regent book you out of Chicago O'Hare who more than likely has non-stops to your final destination. Sure not everywhere but, more than from St. Louis. Only about a 5 to 5 1/2 hour drive to O'hare. Not the best but, another option.

We can fly non-stop to Europe from our home city; This always puts us in Business Class for the full flight. We also pay the deviation fee so we can select our flights. Not all carriers are available at that price; Depends on the Regent contract.

When we have to fly to Miami from Vancouver, we pay $750 each to fly First Class (if Business Class if not available on the plane). Agree about foreign carriers but since you have already deviated, it doesn't make sense to look backwards. What airline are you booked on?

At this point we have only paid for the upgrade to Business class .... The cruise is not until May 19, 2014 , But since booking this cruise and going for the upgrade from ecomny to business it wasn't until after that we find out they will not secure a guarantee on business or better within the states.. Now I am just trying to find out what I need to do to get a secure flight both ways within the states

Not exactly sure what you mean. Assume that Regent cannot book now as the dates are too far out. If this is the case, do a search of flights to and from your departure city to the ship and one returning home. Write down the dates, flight #, time, etc. Then, once it is within 280 days, contact your TA or Regent Air and tell them what flights you would like.

They only have contracts with certain airlines so have some 2nd and 3rd choices available. If you are flying to Europe, you may try KLM (I know they are using this airline on many routes). Lufthansa may be another choice. Both of these airlines will fly you directly out of the country so you will be in Business Class. For instance, if you were flying from St. Louis to Barcelona, you could pick either KLM or Lufthansa (just checks flights out of St. Louis).

Hope this makes sense. Keep asking questions.

At this point we have only paid for the upgrade to Business class .... The cruise is not until May 19, 2014 , But since booking this cruise and going for the upgrade from ecomny to business it wasn't until after that we find out they will not secure a guarantee on business or better within the states.. Now I am just trying to find out what I need to do to get a secure flight both ways within the states

You are on the right track. If you choose to deviate, Regent won't book your flights until 270 days prior to your cruise and if you stay the way you are currently booked, you won't get flights until 75 days prior so you have until late August to weigh your options.

Some of the other advice you are getting from a confused poster has no bearing on your issue so even though she tries to help people like you, she sometimes doesn't completely read others posts or comprehend their issues so her information isn't applicable. I realize that there are very few international flights from STL. Did just see that Air Canada flies to Toronto which might work for a connection to Europe staying on a single carrier or possibly connecting thru Newark on United of LaGuardia or JFK on American or Delta which should all allow you Business all the way thru. Knowing your departure and arrival ports will help.

Be glad to help you privately if you like at rallydave at pobox dot com.

Aloha Glo,

We upgraded to Business and then paid the deviation (now 150.00 pp) so that we would have some choice in carriers and itinerary. We told our TA that since we were flying out of Honolulu that flying Business/ First on the domestic portion of the trip was a deal breaker for us, we paid the deviation and were in first/business for the entire journey, both ways.

This year, we did exactly the same thing and have been assigned Business/First all the way across, round trip.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

There are lots of flights on American from St. Louis to Chicago. Then from Chicago to lots of places in Europe. Even if stuck in coach from St. Louis to Chicago, that is a very short flight, and if you have any status with American at all, you would get upgraded or at least an exit row.

Having had problems with Regent I'd like to encourage you to do your research and deal with your requests early. We had paid $2000 each for business and requested our flights (We were entitled to a "deviation" because of our platinum status.) At first the air department told our TA that we were too early. By the time they got to us all direct flights from Copenhagen were filled in business They put us on Iceland Air, which went to NY by way of Iceland in 757 planes. I was so annoyed with Regent that I canceled our next trip with them.

Just a word of warning.

Definitely do not take icelandair unless specifically going to Iceland. The business class seats are like domestic first seats on American or delta, not a true international business class seat at all.

You are on the right track. If you choose to deviate, Regent won't book your flights until 270 days prior to your cruise and if you stay the way you are currently booked, you won't get flights until 75 days prior so you have until late August to weigh your options.

Some of the other advice you are getting from a confused poster has no bearing on your issue so even though she tries to help people like you, she sometimes doesn't completely read others posts or comprehend their issues so her information isn't applicable. I realize that there are very few international flights from STL. Did just see that Air Canada flies to Toronto which might work for a connection to Europe staying on a single carrier or possibly connecting thru Newark on United of LaGuardia or JFK on American or Delta which should all allow you Business all the way thru. Knowing your departure and arrival ports will help.

Be glad to help you privately if you like at rallydave at pobox dot com.

I am not confused - unless you think that typing 280 days instead of 270 is confused:rolleyes: The missing piece here is where in Europe the OP is flying to. Regent is not big on using Air Canada unless you reside in Canada. Contracts are not the same from Canadian and U.S. airports (this is a fact -- not speculation).

The OP prefers not to fly coach in the U.S. Your American, United and Delta options would cause her to take coach flights.

Since you last sailed on Regent there have been many airline contract changes. Airlines you could use a year ago are no longer available. We are paying $1,000 per person above the deviation fee to fly American Airlines to Rio.

The "sticky" regarding airlines, deviation, etc. was made to help people get current information. There is some good information there -- it would be nice if there was more. Here is a link to the "sticky" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1832227 - there is some information on European flights there.

Aloha All,

The OP prefers not to fly coach in the U.S. Your American, United and Delta options would cause her to take coach flights.

Last year, when we deviated along with the Business Upgrade from HNL, we were in First Class on United from HNL top LAX, and return LAX to HNL in First Class on Delta; this year, we are also in First on Delta HNL to SEA and return on United LAX to HNL.

Perhaps it is different from Hawaii?

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

I think it's pretty simple, at least to my understanding. Regent does not include domestic air segments as part of the Business Class upgrade. Period. They do upgrade you on any legs within Europe, although the planes often don't have a real business class and you end up sitting 2 in a row meant for 3.

Within North America, they will upgrade you to business as well, but they will charge a lot of money for it. We tried this flying to Papeete thru LAX once, but declined when we saw the price.

Perhaps if the OP has points, they can fly themselves Business from St. Louis to a major hub, and then have Regent fly them the rest of the way.

Not exactly sure what you mean. For instance, if you were flying from St. Louis to Barcelona, you could pick either KLM or Lufthansa (just checks flights out of St. Louis).

Hope this makes sense. Keep asking questions.

Not going to get into a cat fight with you on this subject nor will I resort to name calling or disparaging remarks but, much of your info assumes St. Louis has non stop International on foreign carriers which simply isn't true; check it out for yourself. You have to be careful what airport you are discussing before giving advice.

Above you indicate you are not sure exactly what the OP means. Then you tell him/her to try KLM or Lufthansa out of St. Louis. As I said in my post, there aren't any foreign carrier flights out of St. Louis.

I am not confused - unless you think that typing 280 days instead of 270 is confused:rolleyes: The missing piece here is where in Europe the OP is flying to. Regent is not big on using Air Canada unless you reside in Canada. Contracts are not the same from Canadian and U.S. airports (this is a fact -- not speculation).

Well, 280 isn't correct but, that is simply a minor nit. The OP never said he or she is flying to Europe but, in trying for a foreign carrier, I did offer that as a possible but, not best solution to avoid US carriers from St. Louis as Air Canada is the only foreign carrier in St. Louis.

In addition to contracts not being the same from Canadian and US airports, they are also not the same from different US airports and many US airports do not have much if any non-stop international service and St. Louis is one of those, that is why I suggested driving to Chicago O'hare and Rachel suggested a short 1 hour flight to Chicago to catch an international non stop.

As Hanalai Sailer stated, you are incorrect. Flying the entire trip on a US carrier usually gets you Business/First Class for the domestic portion as well as the over water portion. In fact, more than likely, if the OP flies out of St. Louis to any International destination, he/she will have at least one leg in coach.

Since you last sailed on Regent there have been many airline contract changes. Airlines you could use a year ago are no longer available. We are paying $1,000 per person above the deviation fee to fly American Airlines to Rio.

I know there are changes and I wouldn't even try to guess which airlines Regent would use out of St. Louis and neither should you since you don't fly out of there and didn't know about the lack of International carriers from St. Louis.

The "sticky" regarding airlines, deviation, etc. was made to help people get current information. There is some good information there -- it would be nice if there was more. Here is a link to the "sticky" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1832227 - there is some information on European flights there.

Go ahead and put the info I provided in your sticky. Rather than try to think we understand all airports, sometimes a little research will let one know which carriers fly out of which airport and avoid suggesting airlines that don't fly to most US airports.

I think it's pretty simple, at least to my understanding. Regent does not include domestic air segments as part of the Business Class upgrade. Period. They do upgrade you on any legs within Europe, although the planes often don't have a real business class and you end up sitting 2 in a row meant for 3.

Within North America, they will upgrade you to business as well, but they will charge a lot of money for it. We tried this flying to Papeete thru LAX once, but declined when we saw the price.

Perhaps if the OP has points, they can fly themselves Business from St. Louis to a major hub, and then have Regent fly them the rest of the way.

You are correct that Regent won't upgrade you for a domestic flight but, US airlines generally will fly you in Business/First when connecting to International flights as long as you stay on the same airline for all of your flights. Have done this several times without issue including our last Regent cruise.

We were flying Barcelona to Houston where there are no non stops and I specifically chose United. Even though we heard the same thing from Regent about no first class on the Newark to Houston portion, I knen when the reservation came thru we would be in first and we were without having to do anything.

In your case, you were connecting to a flight to Tahiti on a domestic carrier and in order to get First to LA, you would have needed to pay a bunch extra. Just depends on the airline so staying on the same domestic carrier is an advantage for domestic connections, no doubt about it.

Thanks for all the information, we will have to really check all the options. I did see where Delta is booking into May 2014, but not as far out as the 18th.

While sometimes airlines will book flights earlier than 270 days out, Regent seems to have a policy of not booking until the 270 day mark to cover airlines that don't release schedules earlier and also, for round trips, they will want to book both ways and almost for sure you won't be able to book the return as early as you book the departure.

Checking the schedules early is a good thing but, just because you see a flight doesn't mean Regent will book it early.

Also, sometimes Regent can't even book at the 270 day mark as they are still negotiating contracts with the airlines. Nothing in this process is cast in stone; more like silly putty.

Sorry it is so difficult but, even the experts on this subject have to take a second look based on airport, destination, airline, etc. as they all play into the silly putty story.

Rally Dave,

You are correct that Regent won't upgrade you for a domestic flight but, US airlines generally will fly you in Business/First when connecting to International flights as long as you stay on the same airline for all of your flights. Have done this several times without issue including our last Regent cruise.

This was our experience exactly. This is the reason that we worked with our TA to deviate with Regent Air to get on the same, or direct codeshare partner airlines, ie Delta and KLM, in order to be in First on the domestic portions of the flight. We did not pay anything over the normal Business upgrade and the deviation, and we were in First on the domestic portions of our trip last year, and we are already assigned seats in First on the domestic portions for this October as well.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

Not fighting -- we simply do not agree on anything. Perhaps it would be best for all involved not to respond to each other's posts. We have tried everything else.

Lots of things we agree on, mostly opinions are where we differ and already decided to not respond to differing opinions however, when the facts are incorrect like in this thread, don't want the person asking for help to be confused by either of us.

By the way, did agree with different contract agreements between the US and Canada and simply added that differences also apply between different airports and different carriers.

A lot of misinformation out there regarding flights and just because someone doesn't fly first class domestically on a particular airline or out of a particular airport doesn't mean the same thing will happen all of the time.

Lots of tricks of the trade out there that can help newbie and experienced alike and like you, want to help others.

Thanks for all the different information... it will give is at least different directions to check out. Yes, St. Louis is one airport that does not have any international flights... as a matter of fact, flying out of St. Louis you generally have to change planes on most fights... very few directs anywhere... which is sad....

I did see a Delta Flight that goes both to Athens and Home from Barcelona...I will check back with you all when I see which direction Regent will be taking us...

Archived