Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Cunard Line (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Smart Attire in PG (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2654583)

steilkurve July 11th, 2018 10:05 AM

Smart Attire in PG

Crossing on QM2 shortly. Wondering if passengers are adopting the new smart attire code outside of gala nights. In Princess Grill, are men wearing full suits for these evenings or rather sports jackets/trousers as now shown on Cunard’s site. I’m totally ok with either. Just want to fit in. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BigMac1953 July 11th, 2018 10:17 AM

Sports jackets or blazers or linen jackets are perfectly acceptable. Very few suits will be worn.

steilkurve July 11th, 2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac1953 (Post 56505788)
Sports jackets or blazers or linen jackets are perfectly acceptable. Very few suits will be worn.

Thanks. Even in PG?

BigMac1953 July 11th, 2018 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steilkurve (Post 56506016)
Thanks. Even in PG?

Even in QG! where we will be again in a few weeks on QM2. 50% will also wear ties.

Gala nights 90% tux's with the rest in dark suits.

This will be our 18th time in QG so we're starting to get the hang of it :-)

steilkurve July 11th, 2018 11:26 AM

Ok. Thanks.

steilkurve July 14th, 2018 04:03 PM

Sorry. One more clarification. On smart attire night in Princess Grill, would a sports jacket, khakis and nice shirt do? Thanks!

cruiseluvva July 14th, 2018 04:37 PM

Perfect!

organist32 July 18th, 2018 12:17 PM

Few days ago in Queens grill a party of six, one man wearing a jacket with a cartoon tie loosely around his neck, other 2 men in open necked shirts without jackets. This was a formal night. Sorry, “gala night”, whatever that is. So I don’t think you need to worry about dress codes any more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

organist32 July 18th, 2018 12:19 PM

Sorry, correction, it was in the commodore club, but the dress code should apply there as well. They were served without any problems, and the commodore club was almost full.

wolfie789 July 18th, 2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by organist32 (Post 56562205)
Sorry, correction, it was in the commodore club, but the dress code should apply there as well. They were served without any problems, and the commodore club was almost full.

This is of course a real shame, but I'm not sure it's related to the changes in dress-code terminology recently. My experience on the QM2, QE and QV is that most staff, particularly at busy times, will turn a blind eye to dress-code transgressions, but upon request will happily remind guests of expectations.

JohnKen3 July 18th, 2018 01:58 PM

As far as I am aware, all guests, have the same evening dress code in the Britannia Restaurant, Britannia Club and the Grills restaurant. Smart casual means only jacket mandatory for men. Ties required on formal nights. Enforcement is another matter.

tv24 July 25th, 2018 02:33 AM

Very few suits worn, but coats or sport coats are a very good idea. Looks good, fits dress code and comfortable with the air-con.

wolfie789 July 25th, 2018 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tv24 (Post 56615813)
Very few suits worn, but coats or sport coats are a very good idea. Looks good, fits dress code and comfortable with the air-con.

I would slightly disagree with this - suits are in the minority, but on our last four trips in PG/QG quite a few pax have been in suits on informal evenings. I agree with the air-con blazers are sometimes more comfortable though. I also bring several linen suits on board for this reason.

majortom10 July 25th, 2018 06:30 AM

I will always wear a suit on Smart Attire (Informal) evenings irrespective of whatever restaurant I am in.

cunarderdiamond7 July 26th, 2018 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by organist32 (Post 56562205)

Pretty big correction.

Just got off QM2 on Princess Grill and I saw every male wearing at least a sport jacket on casual nights, most including ties and the large majority wearing formal wear on gala nights.

Very glad Cunard has not joined the mass market crowd in slumming down evening dress requirements.